TCPeppyTc

Has anyone else noticed this quirky irony in the Avatar series?

It is a show in an Asian fantasy world about people bending elements. But instead of the traditional chinese elements ( Fire, water, metal, earth and wood) They use the 4 classical/ western elements ( Water, fire, earth air.)

To be fair, mastering the basics leads to bending of other materials, like wood and metal. It's also an American show, just Asian style. Having the 4 elements makes things a little more simple.

My avatar is ironic because I'm called R3dfive but it is in fact blue-ish-purple.

Doh...

My avatar is ironic because I am in fact, not a fox. Sorry...had to add to it.

Also, maybe the Chinese elements are not the same as Japanese? I'm assuming Avatar is actually a Japanese creation

• Like 1

No, what is truly ironic is how they call them "elements" yet they aren't composed of the same atoms, which is what defines an "element" EDIT and CONTINUATION: In science.

Doh...

My avatar is ironic because I am in fact, not a fox. Sorry...had to add to it.

Also, maybe the Chinese elements are not the same as Japanese? I'm assuming Avatar is actually a Japanese creation

Eeeheehee. XDDD

And Avatar is actually an American show.

And actually, Elite:

Element:

• A part or aspect of something, esp. one that is essential or characteristic.
  • A small but significant presence of a feeling or abstract quality: "it was the element of danger he loved in flying".

• Like 1

It could, as sroberson said, easily be Japanese elements. Japan has a five elements philosophy consisting of earth, water, fire, air and "KÅ«" which can be translated as void, sky or Heaven. KÅ« could count as Aang's energy/spiritbending thingy he learned.

Or Redeemer might just be right and being an American creation leads to them using the common Western elements to make things simple.

EDIT: Reading more on the elements (Granted, I'm using Wikipedia, but meh) I'm leaning towards the use of Japanese element philosophy.

"Chi (sometimes ji) or tsuchi, meaning "Earth", represents the hard, solid objects of the world. The most basic example of chi is in a stone. Stones are highly resistant to movement or change, as is anything heavily influenced by chi. In people, the bones, muscles and tissues are represented by chi. Emotionally, chi is predominantly associated with stubbornness, stability, physicality, and gravity. It is a desire to have things remain as they are; a resistance to change. In the mind, it is confidence. When under the influence of this chi mode or "mood", we are aware of our own physicality and sureness of action."

Stubbornness and stability represent Toph pretty damn well. She doesn't quite fit the 'resistance to change' aspect, in that she hated her life and wanted a different one, but the mention of confidence just screams Toph Bei Fong.

"Sui or mizu, meaning "Water", represents the fluid, flowing, formless things in the world. Outside of the obvious example of rivers and the like, plants are also categorized under sui, as they adapt to their environment, growing and changing according to the direction of the sun and the changing seasons. Blood and other bodily fluids are represented by sui, as are mental or emotional tendencies towards adaptation and change. Sui can be associated with emotion, defensiveness, adaptability, flexibility, suppleness, and magnetism."

Blood is included, and we all know how important a plot point blood was for Waterbenders. In addition, Katara was the main Waterbender of the show, and sui's association with emotion fits her pretty well. She's one moody lady.

"Ka or hi, meaning "Fire", represents the energetic, forceful, moving things in the world. Animals, capable of movement and full of forceful energy, are primary examples of ka objects. Bodily, ka represents our metabolism and body heat, and in the mental and emotional realms, it represents drive and passion. ka can be associated with motivation, desire, intention, and an outgoing spirit. Besides the obvious examples of heat and flame, lightning can also be thought of as an extension of Ka."

Motivation, desire, intention and outgoing spirit? Corrupt these things and you can easily have a tyrannical, imperialistic nation bent on ruling the world. Lightning is also included, and Firebenders can bend lightning as well.

In addition, one of the main points Iroh made to Zuko when he went to infiltrate the Water Tribe city was to use his own body heat to make fire and warm himself, and body heat is a bodily representation of ka.

"Fū or kaze, meaning "Wind", represents things that grow, expand, and enjoy freedom of movement. Aside from air, smoke, and the like, fū can in some ways be best represented by the human mind. As we grow physically, we learn and expand mentally as well, in terms of our knowledge, our experiences, and our personalities. Fū represents breathing, and the internal processes associated with respiration. Mentally and emotionally, it represents an "open-minded" attitude and carefree feeling. It can be associated with will, elusiveness, evasiveness, benevolence, compassion, and wisdom."

Open minded attitude and carefree feeling? Aang in a nutshell. Elusiveness, evasiveness, benevolence, compassion and wisdom? Air Nomads in a nutshell.

So yeah. Four main characters who use the four main elements, and they all pretty well embody the associations made with those elements in Japanese philosophy. Seems like a solid enough assumption to me.

The elements may have also been influenced (or just a coincidence) from the Aristotelic elements, which are also Fire, Water, Air and Earth. With a 5th one representing or resembling "energy" or "matter", which was referenced in the series' finale to strip Ozai from his powers.