Extreme Weather Thread

ShutUpNavi

I'm going to take this opportunity to express my disappointment that the hurricane that passed through the Gulf waay back in Late August/early September, failed to even shut off our power, despite closing schools for 3 days.

I hear some of you will experience Hurricane Sandy. I hope everyone is safe and will remain so!

66212_4635377770080_2015395395_n.jpg

The true symbol of America.

They deserve a raise.

• Like 2

Having been to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier years ago yeah, that stuff and the changing of the guard is pretty hardcore.

Also, you can have a volcano erupt nearby and they would still be there doing their usual routine.

It has been brought to my attention that that photo is actually from back in September. Still pretty hardcore, but not Hurricane Sandy. :3

I imagine they're still there either way.

Most of the subways are flooded beyond immediate help;

hurricane-sandy-subway-flooding-537x373.

tumblr_mcrtehqF2z1rk5eu3o1_r1_1280.jpg

Also doesn't look like the Battery Tunnel will be open yet;

tumblr_mcrp2gS5uc1rk5eu3o1_1280.jpg

Brooklyn_Battery_Tunnel_20121030112608_6

---

Power is still out in quite a bit of regions across the area; lower Manhattan, patches of the five boroughs, and many of the barrier islands are affected. Thankfully being toward the middle of Queens and at a decent elevation I was not subjected to severe bouts of flooding or power-loss.

My friend in Long Island said the power is still out where he lives.

Manhattan is also flooded pretty bad.

My friend in Long Island said the power is still out where he lives.

Manhattan is also flooded pretty bad.

Manhattan being flooded is a bit of an understatement at this point, though it is true that those further out in Long Island will probably have to wait longer for both relief and for electricity to return.

Speaking of electricity, I forgot to post this. A ConEdison substation blew up on the night of the hurricane, though no serious injuries resulted. This unexpected event accounts for most of lower Manhattan being without power. Start at about 0:17 in the video to get to it straight away;

The first responders, including FDNY and NYPD, are doing fantastic jobs though. They've both been up and down the blocks in my neighborhood [which didn't take too much damage besides a slew of fallen trees and the occasional downed utility pole] helping out.

...are they planning on shooting the hurricane?

I'm not sure if you know what the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is, but it's a tomb, holding in honored glory an American soldier known but to God. It's a pretty big deal in Arlington Cemetery in Virginia. One US Marine guards the tomb at all times, and it is considered to be one of the greatest honors to walk the mat as a guard there. Fewer than 20% of volunteers are chosen for training to become tomb guards, and even less actually pass the training. They wear a uniform with no ranks so as not to outrank the unknowns. They are not there just as a ceremonial thing, they are actually guards, they'll confront rowdy guests.

When guarding the tomb, the guard will walk 21 steps across the mat, akin to a 21 gun salute, with his gun on the shoulder opposite to the tomb. On the 21st step, the guard will face the tomb for 21 seconds, then he will turn and walk 21 steps in the other direction and repeat the process, waiting 21 seconds at the end, turn, switch, repeat. In the summer months, the guard is switched every 30 minutes, and in the winter, every hour. When the cemetery is closed, the guard is changed every two hours. There's a whole big ceremony that guests are allowed to see any time the cemetery is open.

It'd be tough to explain what the ceremony consists of from memory, as I've only seen it once when I was in eighth grade, so here's a video explaining the changing of the guard for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZdTSSQ4cks

I hope this helps you!

Also, so as not to derail this topic, I will talk about my own after-storm experience. The damage done to the house wasn't as bad as I had originally thought, however it was still bad. Our patch job won't hold through another storm, and we need to get the insurance company to help us out in fixing it. Unfortunately we haven't gotten a call back from them. I'm confident that it'll happen soon. Power came back on a day after it had shut off. I woke up and my mom started cheering, and then I noticed my radio was on. It hasn't gone off yet, hopefully it won't. My sisters are still out of school until Friday, I have school until Friday. Go figure, huh? Lol. I wasn't scheduled for work this weekend, I think my boss feared the worst for this weekend XD, but I'll probably be back on the schedule soon.

• Like 1

That would be great but it turns out the mythos surrounding that photo is fraudulent anyway; it was taken back in September and has nothing to do with Sandy.

That would be great but it turns out the mythos surrounding that photo is fraudulent anyway; it was taken back in September and has nothing to do with Sandy.

I believe Kage was simply explaining the process in general, and not pertaining specifically to that picture in his above post.

The only reason the subject came up was because that posting of the photo, but this is also stuff I knew already, having been in air cadets for 5~ years :P People are looking way too hard into a goofy offhand comment that I made towards a picture falsely attributed to the hurricane.

Here's some other fakes:

tumblr_mcpmb0bbCr1qk1xrqo1_250.jpgtumblr_mcpmb0bbCr1qk1xrqo2_250.jpg

tumblr_mcpmb0bbCr1qk1xrqo3_250.jpgtumblr_mcpmb0bbCr1qk1xrqo4_250.jpg

tumblr_mcpmb0bbCr1qk1xrqo5_250.jpgtumblr_mcpmb0bbCr1qk1xrqo6_250.jpg

Yes but I had no way to tell you really knew. Even though the photo was a fake, it would still convey my point that the US Army is freaking crazy. I wouldn't have the kahunas to do that sort of thing. The Tomb of the Unknowns has been guarded 24/7 nonstop since 1937, throughout all kinds of weather.

Here's a picture taken during Hurricane Sandy:

ap_tomb_unknown_soldier_rain_mn_thg_1210

Not much hurricane going on there but still.

• Like 1