Star Fox: Planetary Battles interest / sign-up thread

ShutUpNavi

sfpb.jpg

Hello Everyone. I have a proposal for an online user based game I think you all will enjoy. To keep this from getting too long let’s get started.

What is Star Fox: Planetary Battles?

In brief Star Fox: Planetary Battles are a forum activity where fellow users join up into different teams and participate in various Star Fox related competitions called battles. Your team’s job is to win as many points from these battles as possible.

Every two weeks or so I will post a Planetary Battle competition, these challenges are assignments that will test the creativity, teamwork, and Star Fox related knowledge of the various teams involved. These battles cover a wide range of topics. To give you a small idea of what sort of activities we could have.

• Competitions for creating new Star Fox characters, enemies, missions, etc.
  • Debate challenges where we put teams various viewpoints head to head.
  • Fan Art Battles where we put teams artistic and creative abilities to the test.
  • Making up backstories, coming up with fan fiction concepts and ideas.
  • And much, much more.

All you really need to do is join a team and help them win the challenge each week. Over all the Planetary Battles are simple, fun, yet deep activities for all to participate in. If you work well with others and have a good spirit I highly recommend you join

Sounds complicated. Why do you think this can work?

I know this can be fun and work because I’ve done this before. On IGN’s Legend of Zelda Board I hosted a forum based game called the Tribe Battles, which is basically the same thing I’m proposing here (only Zelda themed). Most people would agree it was a fun activity that brought out the best in users.

For example I tasked people to make a Zelda original character and a team came up with this.

http://fc05.devianta...dot-d33u40y.jpg

I asked them to create a fake commercial and a team came up with this.

We had a debate between teams that went on until it reached five pages. And that was just the one I hosted. We’ve had battles like this on and off since 2005 up until last year.

I’m not that talented. I don’t think I can do this.

Most challenges don't require much in the way of technical skills as performance is based off of creativity and substance. For example if we had a challenge where you needed to draw some kind of fan art we would grade it based on how well thought out or creative it is, not on how well it is drawn. Plus you’re on a team of users, so you won’t be doing this alone. You’ll have a lot of people collaborating and brainstorming on one topic so this is a lot easier than it sounds at first.

I’m interested. So What Now?

If you want to join all you need to do is post here that you wish to sign up. If you have any questions post them here so I can go over the finer details. We need at least 12 potential participants to get started. Once we have that we can move on further.

Lastly I need to think of some Star Fox themed team names. If you have some suggestions let me know.

Sounds great, sign me up. Maybe the teams can be based around planets in Lylat? I know that when I competed in a multi-school pentathlon back in fifth grade they based the teams on ancient Greek city states (I was with Thebes myself), so that's why I say planets might work for the teams. If so I got dibs on Corneria. XD

You know, you should consider bringing this to SFOCast. I think it would be a nice way of getting that going again, but you'll probably have to run this over with someone in either case of SFOCast or forum game. In terms of bringing it to the SFOCast level, I'd suggest moving it into SF-O Stuff where there's a SFOCast subforum. I'd love to do something like this on SFOCast! I really hope we can revive SFOCast, and I think this would be a great way to do so!

I must say that this is an interesting take on your standard forum game, though I do have a concern; The debate challenges bit would have to be heavily moderated and/or closely watched; problems can arise from what may seem to be the simplest, most inoffensive thing. [Namely why debates, regardless of subject matter, stay within the Counter Point.]

I definitely see your concern about debates. However they will (along with other battles) be moderated and contain a lot of rules to keep things from getting out of hand. The first few debates will usually be what I call collective responses. Both teams will work to make one (and only one) essay which tries to prove their viewpoint. 

Later on we can also have debates where people post individual responses, but these would be even more moderated. As an incentive to keep things civil posts that get too personal, insulting, or off topic would take points away from the team. Finally as each battle will be in it's own thread I can put debate challenges in the counterpoint forum. 

You know, you should consider bringing this to SFOCast. I think it would be a nice way of getting that going again, but you'll probably have to run this over with someone in either case of SFOCast or forum game. In terms of bringing it to the SFOCast level, I'd suggest moving it into SF-O Stuff where there's a SFOCast subforum. I'd love to do something like this on SFOCast! I really hope we can revive SFOCast, and I think this would be a great way to do so!

I can see announcing new composition battles or their results on SFOcast, but I don't see how else I could use it. The battles usually last more than a week so they have to be done on the forums. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean. 

Listen to the older SFOCasts, perhaps you can see what I mean then. I also don't see how certain debates and trivia can last too long, look at game shows.

• 3 months later...

Can we ban him yet?

Shaper, you bring such joy to the forum.

I'm interested in these battles, sounds fun. 

• 3 weeks later...

If i don't have to come on here every day on here, then sign me up! :P

Sounds awesome. Alright, where the hell do I sign?

User ShutUpNavi was last active in December, 2012 - I am assuming that the likelihood of this actually going through is low. 

WHAT!!!?

hulk-angry.gif

GAWDAMMIT!!!!!!