So, I started researching the ship names in Sector Y and Area 6

DZComposer

Out of boredom, I decided to do a little research into some of the names of the ships.

Saruzin - The ship the Shogun boss in Secor Y launches from, only to stand on a few minutes later making himself an easy target.

There isn't a true "zi" sound in Japanese, but there is a form of "Ji" that is close. A little Google-Fu brings me this word: 猿人. The first kanji is Saru, which translates as "monkey." The second kanji is Jin, or "Person." While literally "Monkey-Person," Google translates "猿人" as "Ape-Man."

Harlock Frigate - This is actualy an anime reference. The anime is called "Captain Harlock," and is about a space pirate of the same name. This also explains the skulls on the ships: Captain Harlock's ship is a vaguely similar shape and is adorned with Jolly Rogers.

Zeram Cruiser - Another reference to Japanese sci-fi,  this time an early 90s TV Movie called "Zeiram." It was romanized as "Zeram" in it's early release. The titular character is an alien with a head that resembles a mushroom. This may explain the wings that surround the ships' bridges.

I was unable to find Dorisby and Grazan origins in the small amount of time I had. I will search more later.

• Like 4

Nice finds DZ.

Also while looking at the "Mission File Printout" Japanese SF1 player's guide, I noticed that a lot of the enemies have goofy names.

"Cats Rocks", "Nagras", "Metallic Pipers", "Mad Shooters", "Killer Satellites", "PYLONS"? SERIOUSLY? XD

I found this.

CSnesFighter.jpg

The Cornerian Defense Force fighter is actually called the X Fighter, a reference to the Star Wars X-wing.

• Like 1