Artists, I need your help

DoctorAllosaurus

Okay, so lately I've been in some kind of artists funk I guess I'm just not satisfied with the work that I actually do "finish" in some manner or other. I'm guessing the only way for me to get out of this is to go back to basics and relearn everything I thought I knew, I'm just having a really hard time finding a good place to start.

What I need from you guys is expertise, where do I need to start and where should I go from there. I'd very much appreciate any tips you can send my way.

Step 1: Read Vilppu drawing manual - http://books.google.com/books?id=-1sRWo0QNVYC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Step 2: Use techniques therein to do lots of life drawing. There's an online life drawing thingamabobber that's pretty useful here - http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/

Step 3: Use what you've learned to make super awesome art from imagination.

Step 4: Return to Step 2. Continue this cycle for the rest of your natural existence. :P

Step ??: Study human anatomy deeper if you want to go for uber realism. Get a book on anatomy tailored for artists.

How I learned to draw was basically self-taught. I don't know how that can help, but heres how I do it:

I map out what I'm going to draw, a character, a ship, which angle and action a person or object is positioned. If its a humaniod character I start out with the head, basic oval and draw a wire frame of the body lightly with a pencil.

Once the "skeleton" is complete, I fill in the muscle tone and curves of the body. Its a good idea to study up on human anatomy.

Then when you have the body done, add detail. This can be difficult for any artist, eyes, hands, completion. Don't forget shading, make your character cast of shadow.

Other than emotion mapping your characters emotions, thats all I can give you. Hope I did you some good. :)