Battlstar Galactica

Snys93

This topic is for all things BSG, the 2004 re-imagining or the 70's TOS. You can even submit pics of your favorite characters (tastefully of course) and ships. Remember, obey mod rule or they'll box us for good.

Thats all for now.

So say we all!

Battlestar_Galactica_-_Viper_Mark_II.jpg

Battlestar.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow, BSG.

When I was younger I attempted to watch through it, and I guess there was something with my patience at the time that kept me from watching the show through to the end. I remember not being much interested in Starbuck's character arc and the plot that went with it, and my interest petered out sometime in mid-2006.

Six years later I start watching it again, and wow. I mean, okay, some of the symbolism and more metaphorical aspects of the show don't always go over very well, and some characters are very inconsistently characterized (hell-ooo, Baltar. Did he really redeem himself by the end?), and the show can, in parts, really drag on, but aside from that it's a great, gritty sci-fi show.

A bit of a digression: since 2006 I'd taken the time to watch through the majority of TNG and while I really enjoyed it, the sedate and utopian tone of the show really began to grate on my patience because more than anything I began to feel like I was watching idealized mannequins milling around and solving problems we're way too stupid and barbaric to even come to grips with in today's society, while being a case study in naivete so blatant you seriously begin to wonder how Picard & co even made it alive out of kindergarten. Like, at one time I think I may have hallucinated, but I swear Picard turns into a teletubby somewhere in season 7.

In contrast BSG is consistently ruthless without being grimdark. It successfully leverages serious drama with lighthearted comedy. The pacing is consistently good, and its universe feels real - it's very far from the occasionally grating utopian vision of TNG or the delightful neo-Tolkienic ham baloney of B5 (which isn't a bad show, just very, very different) and it avoids what was up until that point the science fiction stereotypes that caused a lot of people to not take the genre seriously.

I may be in the minority when it comes to this opinion but I thought the show's treatment of religious themes to be pretty cool.

Like, I had no problem with the fleet disbanding and the people settling on Earth without any of their advanced technologies intact. It felt like a really appropriate end to the story, which at that point had become more like a mythical fable than a representation of realism anyway. Starbuck being an avatar of the inscrutable divine will, the prophecy cycle, all that worked in this show, whereas it might have be corny or lame in any other, less nuanced show. My only criticism of that aspect is when the Final Five realize that they are in fact Cylons and even worse, the reincarnations of the creators of the race, they just kind of up and accept it. Like, Saul Tigh just goes 'welp, I guess I'll deal with it then, toodles' and carries on like it's the most natural thing in the world after spending like fifty episodes in apoplectic fits of rage about the existence of the non-robot cylons.

*in response to your spoiler*

Well even though they are "human", the Final Five do exhibit properties of logical machines thus showing to the audience that they are NOT what we call human. When they realize they are Cylons for the very first time, you see a calming effect come over them. Is this software or that feeling you get when you realize why you are different? It hits like a tank and yet doesn't bolt you over, like when I was diagnosed with aspergers (not sure if I'm spelling that right lol). I was always wondering why I acted they way I do. It for some reason didn't come as a shock because I knew somehow I was different.

The Final Five are the same way, not as evident as when Ellen Tye was resurrected of course. She started out in panic and terror and then slowly relaxed. Again, is this her coming to realization or is it purely just software?

In BSG sometimes, you have to draw your own conclusion since not all the facts are laid out before you. Who really were the pantheon gods (Lords of Kobol)? Were they deified humans or ancient Cylons? Since 'all this has happened before and will happen again', who knows.

I'm posting the first episode of Blood and Chrome, a beginning to a short miniseries on Youtube. I will not keep posting them in succession.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT79x4qM4FE

• 2 weeks later...

I loved BattleStar Galactica, the 2004 remake that is. Favorite characters were, Starbuck, 3 (mainly because she was played by Lucy Lawless *squee*) and Boomer/Athina (the girl who fought with herself on being a Cylon, died, found the truth, then replaced by literally another model. 

I loved BattleStar Galactica, the 2004 remake that is. Favorite characters were, Starbuck, 3 (mainly because she was played by Lucy Lawless *squee*) and Boomer/Athina (the girl who fought with herself on being a Cylon, died, found the truth, then replaced by literally another model. 

Truly one my favorites. Every friday night was dedicated to this show while it was on Syfy. And no lasers too, that surprised me. Unlike the old story, it was geared to be what humanities technology would be like in two centuries. Rugged, used, the universe just seemed so real just like the characters that inhabited it.

Another thing too, I find myself saying frak everyday lol.

Another thing too, I find myself saying frak everyday lol.

I do this at work and cannot get into trouble because "Frak" is not listed in the book under swear words.

I do agree the fact they use Bullets rather then lazors just made it seem all the more real. I loved how at times, the way the camera would move, it gave me the feel that what we were watching was something that was actually documented rather then just recorded. 

• Like 1

I do this at work and cannot get into trouble because "Frak" is not listed in the book under swear words.

I do agree the fact they use Bullets rather then lazors just made it seem all the more real. I loved how at times, the way the camera would move, it gave me the feel that what we were watching was something that was actually documented rather then just recorded. 

I like that too. It was made to have a documentary feel to it. How the camera waves around in the excitement adds tension during battle situations.