Code Lyoko: Evolution

Sideways

• Owner/Technical Admin

I'm sure many of you know that Code Lyoko has been rebooted with a fifth season and rebranded "Code Lyoko: Evolution." This 'new' show uses a mixture of live action and the old CG animation for the virtual parts. I had a chance to watch the first episode undubbed, and it confused the heck out of me. I later saw a dubbed episode that's available on Kabillion.

Don't get me wrong, I love Code Lyoko. Evolution could turn out to be good. There are some things that bug me, though.

Spoilers ahead - don't read if you don't want some of it ruined for you.

First - Voice actors. It seems that they used completly NEW voice actors for the english dub then what they did before. I can live with having live action, as long as you make an effort to keep the original voice actors that we've had for the past 4 seasons. At least the characters are still themselves, mostly.

Why did they remove two sectors? Why did they change the way the towers on Lyoko looked from their original circular format to this goofy new black square looking thing. Why now can any member of Team Lyoko deactivate towers? OH YEAH.. Weird ass plot twist. Apparently, XANA embedded his source codes into the lyoko warriors before he died at the conclusion of Season 4. If Jeremy's anti-XANA program wiped out all traces of XANA, how did his source codes stick? It just doesn't make sense.

The live actors - aside from Aelita with her obvious pink hair, and Jeremy.. you can't really tell who's who. At least give Odd his trademark hairdo back.

I'm guessing the source code thing was an excuse to make more Code Lyoko. Not a good one, but it exists. I haven't seen Evolution yet. Since it's been dubbed, I might just take a look.