Star Fox 2

TheNintendonian

Question

Sorry if I break any rules, this is my first post.

First of all are there any legitimate copies of Star Fox two that can be played? I've seen some supposed ones but I am not sure as it was technically not released.

Also why was the original game cancelled? From what I've seen of the game, it looke great (and the music was good too).

10 answers to this question

Star Fox 2 was cancelled because of the release of the Nintendo 64.  When that system came out, Nintendo realized that it was going to allow them to do more with their sequel than the Super Nintendo.  I don't understand the interest in playing Star Fox 2, especially because largely the same elements are in 64.  The source code was leaked however, and it's possible that you can play it through an emulator, but it's unfinished, and possibly really  buggy because the code was leaked for the early alpha.  

Dylan Cuthbert, the lead programmer of Star Fox 2 has some very informative words to say on this issue.  

"StarFox 2 was fully completed. I was the lead programmer and while Giles made Stunt Race FX, myself and the rest of the original Starfox team (ie. Nintendo's artists and designers) expanded Starfox into a full 3D shooting game. The reason for non-release was the then impending Nintendo 64 which of course was intended to be released a lot sooner than it actually was. Miyamoto-san decided he wanted to have a clean break between 3D games on the SNES and 3D games on the new superior 64-bit system. In retrospect, he could have released Star Fox 2 and there would have been over a year and a half before the N64 came out. But hindsight is always 20/20."

Actually, Command has a closer playstyle to 2 than 64, and the code for it has been translated to English and bugfixed, so it's very much playable in a very enjoyable state. Plus Star Fox 2 has gameplay elements not seen in other places, such as the Arwing turning into a walker.

But yes, you can emulate the game if you look for the code, but for playing it on an SNES, I heard of people putting the code onto a cart, but they're expensive, if they're even legitimate.

You could probably do it yourself if you have the know-how.  You'd need to convert a SNES into something that uses a USB port probably so that you can actually wipe and use a cartridge or something.  It'd be very difficult, and I'd probably just recommend using an emulator.

Ahhh yes good old emulators

Thanks I have 64 for my recently acquired 64 but still need da original and was considering trying to find the second.

Funny thing is I have gotten every SF game to date (minus the 3ds one and the original) in complete reverse order so why not finish the trend?

First of all are there any legitimate copies of Star Fox two that can be played? I've seen some supposed ones but I am not sure as it was technically not released.

No, there are not any legitimate SF2 copies. The ones you see floating around are re-flashed Super FX 2 carts of other games, usually Winter Gold as it is not deemed to be a noteworthy game unlike Doom and Yoshi's Island. There are some really good looking SF2 carts out there, but they are all bootleg.

Also, this is not the real title screen:

title.jpg

It was made by the ROM hacker that translated the game into English. 90% of the carts floating around have this hacked ROM on them.

This is the real title screen:

Starfox 2 actually is not a bad game. Its just too dam short and 3rd person space shooting has its bugs. But I'm willing to say that its fun.

TBH, I don't like the fan translation title logo much better than the beta one, it looks incredibly fake and ugly. The author of the fan translation should have made it look more like the title logo in SF1.

• Like 1

TBH, I don't like the fan translation title logo much better than the beta one, it looks incredibly fake and ugly. The author of the fan translation should have made it look more like the title logo in SF1.

Same here, it just doesn't look right.

I have played Starfox 2 on an emulator twice and this is why I wanted to play it

1.Miyu and Fay No other game in Starfox has that many women actually in the team (I don't count command because it sucked)

2. walking arwings: as a battletech fan and mech fan I'm a big fan of bipedal walkers.(And any sort of walking robots.)

I have played Starfox 2 on an emulator twice and this is why I wanted to play it

1.Miyu and Fay No other game in Starfox has that many women actually in the team (I don't count command because it sucked)

2. walking arwings: as a battletech fan and mech fan I'm a big fan of bipedal walkers.(And any sort of walking robots.)

Yeah. Hopefully (if ever) the next game will cannibalize those portions.