Platinum Games Still Wants to Make Star Fox

Icy

... Sort of.

If you remember a couple of years back, someone from Platinum said they wanted Nintendo to hold them at gunpoint and tell them to make a Star Fox game. Now they still want to, apparently.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/14/kamiya-from-platinum-games-still-wants-to-work-on-star-fox/

“Of course I’d like to work together with Nintendo to make original games going forward.â€

“But as far as Nintendo franchises, the reality is that these are big franchises that have lots of fans and lots of history and it’d be really hard in my position to say ‘Oh, let me make one of these games.’

“But tomorrow, if suddenly somebody came to me and said ‘We want you to make Star Fox,’ of course I would be pleased.â€

“So Star Fox is one, another series, Murasame JÅ. I grew up on Nintendo games so there’s a whole lot of respect for those.â€

At least people haven't forgotten about it. :V

From the article:

"Kamiya says that he grew up on Nintendo franchises, and said that if Nintendo called and asked him if he would work on a new entry to the Star Fox series, he would genuinely jump at the chance."

In other words, Kamiya does not want to screw up the franchise, but would love the opportunity to make the game if given the chance. And yet, this is exactly why Star Fox has become what it is today. 3rd parties (such as Platinum Games) want to work on the game, but they do not know what direction they envision the franchise to go in. The only way Star Fox is going to right itself, is if Nintendo solely works on it.

I only hope it doesn't turn into a gritty + brown FPS.

Now when has Nintendo ever done/allowed that?

Platinum games hasn't made any dark FPS games as far as I know. The games I know of that Platinum made are Vanquish, Bayonetta, Anarchy Reigns, and of course, Metal Gear Rising. With Metal Gear Rising, they were able to make a game that fit along side the other Metal Gear games, so they should be able to do the same with Starfox. I would actually look forward to such an idea.

• Like 2

I only hope it doesn't turn into a gritty + brown FPS.

Oh, I wouldn't worry about that.  Like WOLFjr. stated:

Platinum games hasn't made any dark FPS games

^  That there automatically says that they wouldn't ruin SF with a FPS approach.  One of my favorite games by them - Vanquish - was a fast paced, third-person shooter, but felt more Matrixy than anything whenever you did the slow-mo moves.  On top of that, expect to have over-the-top boss fights and A LOT of crazy stuff going on.  For instance, you're not going to be stuck behind cover and will be CONSTANTLY ON THE MOVE!  There's just TOO MUCH going on to just stop and gander at the scenery.  I did that once in Vanquish and nearly had my ass handed to me by a boss.

I would also be interested on how PG would take the Arwing sections.  So far, I haven't seen any flying bits - aside from the games' main protagonists jumping around at superhuman heights and running along structures like they're fucking Spiderman on heroin - and see how insane the space battles would be.  To add onto that, I would love to see how frantic the action would be whenever your character (albeit, Fox, Falco, Slippy (PLEASE), etc., etc.) is stuck in firefight with an enemy faction (let's face it, it's going to be Venom forces *sigh*).

So, IF Platinum decides to do a SF game, expect some of the SF members to be VERY nimble - especially Krystal (hope they don't implement her, but I think they will) since I have a feeling Bayonetta would be a possible inspiration to her 'nimbleness.'  

Other than that, PG would be an alright third party to do it, but I have to agree with StarFoxfan-FUR_ever said:  ". . . if Nintendo solely works on it."  Not only Nintendo, but I hope that probably companies with some great history with giving beloved franchises justice.

• Like 1

dOn't TURn stAR FOX INto a fIRST PERSON-SHOOTERRRR

anything else and we're solid, but I told y'all that's a pretty big reason why the series got boned. Third person developers are fine but Nintendo needs to give them some kind of bible for the Star Fox series so the developers actually know what they're dealing with and what they can and can't do. That's all they have to do. Give 'em a big text file. Come on Nintendo you can do it.

I would also be interested on how PG would take the Arwing sections.  So far, I haven't seen any flying bits - aside from the games' main protagonists jumping around at superhuman heights and running along structures like they're fucking Spiderman on heroin - and see how insane the space battles would be. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1zV5eWlO3U

• Like 3