So There's Going to be 40 More Years of Star Wars

Snys93

*sigh* The title says all.

I like Star Wars (some of it) and I want a new trilogy done right this time, but Disney wants to milk this cow completely dry. A new movie every two years FOR 40 YEARS?!!!

What do you guys think?

Heres the article: http://www.hypable.com/2014/02/05/star-wars-disney-40-years/

I've been a fan of Star Wars for awhile. And I was also upset when the rights were sold over to Disney.

Got really angry when some of the internal workings got shot. RIP in Peace 1313. And if DIS will handle the games for Star Wars, we'll the old stock might be out of luck.

Movies on the other hand I'm personally expecting some good shit.Let's be honest people, some of the more recent Disney films have been solid (Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Bang-It-Up Benny.) That and if Disney employs people like J. J. Abrams I think we might get through this storm. 

Well... there's still the chance...

85a3george-lucas-star-wars-2.jpg

It just means didney sees at least 40 years of benefit from their acquisition of Lucasfilm.

Other than that, I can really complain about movies I have not yet seen.

• Like 1

It just means didney sees at least 40 years of benefit from their acquisition of Lucasfilm.

Other than that, I can really complain about movies I have not yet seen.

But think about: a movie per two years.

During the 80's and 90's, Paramount had Star Trek running at full speed, nonstop and very nearly killed the franchise. By the time it reaches the mid-way point people will start to get sick of it. Just because its Star Wars doesn't mean it will always be popular.

......you'd think Disney had learned their lesson after finally ceasing constant production of DTV sequels to their older films since 1994. :/

And then they do this..... Siiiiiiiiiiigh.......

During the 80's and 90's, Paramount had Star Trek running at full speed, nonstop and very nearly killed the franchise. By the time it reaches the mid-way point people will start to get sick of it. Just because its Star Wars doesn't mean it will always be popular.

Well the first four movies of the original Star Trek, in my thoughts, were alright and pretty good. V and VI were just shameful but even after that there was the Next Gen. set and Voyager some time later. Star Trek was just weeded out of the original Captain and found someone to continue the story. And could Harrison Ford really get back into the part of Han Solo again besides just a fun appearance?

I really doubt well get a movie every two years. Hell, even every 4 years seems stretchy. Yet if f we're lucky, Disney keeps a semi-similar track with the original Star Wars lore, we might get Ben Skywalker and all the other cool stories portrayed on film! I for one want to see a movie of Thrawn's Campaign and Palpatine reborn in 9 - 11ABY. (<-- 20 Bucks says this is the plot of the next movie. I fucking call it.)

A New Hope came out in 1977--nearly 40 years ago. Since then we have had movies, a giant expansive novel series, multiple video games, animated spinoffs, comics, and multibillions of dollars in merchandise and other derivative works.

People love losing their fucking minds any time Disney touches anything but literally all they are doing are providing the money and internal stability for Star Wars to continue, and I don't know where "a new episodic movie every two years!!!" is coming from considering the only part of the statement quoted says this:

Intangible assets primarily consist of intellectual property based on the Star Wars franchise with an estimated useful life of approximately 40 years. The goodwill reflects the value to Disney from leveraging Lucasfilm intellectual property across our distribution channels, taking advantage of Disney’s established global reach.

And there's no mention of "an episodic movie every two years" in the article they're quoting. Was that mentioned somewhere else? Because it sure as hell isn't mentioned in that statement. The quote above says "intellectual property based on the Star Wars franchise", which, to me, sounds like literally what Star Wars has been doing since it came out (nearly, again, another forty years ago): pumping out a shitton of merchandise, spinoffs, and adaptations across other forms of media.

Bolding spinoffs, too, because if they did want to make a movie every two years, I guarantee you that a huge chunk of those movies will be spinoffs. I'm guessing if anything it'll be a similar model to Marvel's film release schedule--different movies and shows with different characters in the same universe, with their own sets of sequels and crossover films. This isn't really all that new either if any of you remember watching any adaptation of their favourite superhero as a kid--this is just on a grander scale, and now Star Wars is getting a similar treatment. And why shouldn't it, with such a massive world to it that people are still exploring through all sorts of media forty years after it first hit screens?

Put your heads back on, Chicken Littles. All this means is that nothing is fucking changing at all.

• Like 4

Oh goody! More FUCKING stagnation!

I greatly dislike George Lucas.

I greatly dislike Disney.

I greatly dislike the milking of franchises.

Ergo: I greatly dislike this. Fuck you Disney. Let star wars die already so something new can come forward.

• Like 1

Dude chill the nerdwrath emot-psyduck.gif

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what "stagnation" is if you're applying it to a massive investment into a complete revitalization of a series. Also Star Wars existing is not preventing new things from existing. That's why I have a job.

There's a lot of fury flying around based on concepts that are nebulous at best and misunderstood at worst. It seems like every topic active on this board right now is everyone collectively pissing themselves while flinging buzzwords and pudding against the windows and y'all need to remember to take a few breaths of fresh air now and then.

• Like 2

man i am so edgy with my bold and underlined statements of how we should FUCK DISNEY because of reasons and really at the end of the day reasons aren't important i just want you to know that i am on the cutting edge here because i hate something, and really, isn't that reason enough? anyway FUCK DISNEY man am i cool or what

christ almighty. if they really did want to release twenty movies over the next forty years, a) there is no guarantee that those would all be theatrical releases and not just TV movies or direct-to-DVD deals, and b) the Star Wars corpus is so enormous that they could easily do that and still have plenty of material left over for another forty years' worth of movies. you could get twenty movies out of the adventures of Revan alone--it would only span Knights of the Old Republic and The Old Republic, after all. you could make plenty of movies about Tales of the Jedi and the stuff around Ruusan; who wouldn't want to see the rise of Darth Bane? you could make an entire series of movies about the Thrawn trilogy and the other Crises of the Week that beset the New Republic (although i suppose you'd have to cast lookalikes for some characters). you could make a movie a year about the fuckin' Yuuzhan Vong. and then there's the Swarm War. and then there's the Second Galactic Civil War and all the bullshit surrounding that. and then there's Abeloth and yet another bunch of Sith crawling out of the galaxy's anus. and that's not even touching Legacy.

and, really, that would all take less effort anyway, because much of the creative work is already done.

besides which, that's all assuming they take the easy path and just put existing Expanded Universe stuff on screen. they could also spin an entirely new continuity with entirely new stories.

none of that is "stagnation." in fact, if they went their own route instead of just making movies out of existing EU material, the Star Wars franchise would see an explosion of new creative output that we haven't seen since the prequels.

• Like 1

I dont want to see Star Wars get new creative output. We've tried that before. Things didnt go very well when we did.

Star Wars has had its time in the spotlight

Let it fall in its grave with whatever dignity it has left.

What I'm saying is let the new magician come forward and show us his new tricks and new style

as opposed to forcing the old one to come back on stage, cane in hand with the same old tricks, just with some new lights and fancy effects.

And good god people, is me changing the colour of a few words to emphasize something THAT jarring to you all? :troll:

I dont want to see Star Wars get new creative output. We've tried that before. Things didnt go very well when we did.

That is what's called stagnation, friend. And just because something's gone wrong before (a subjective opinion, by the way) doesn't mean all subsequent attempts will fail and thus should never be attempted. If you don't want there to be more Star Wars shit, fine. Just don't look at any of the new material and pretend that the new stuff doesn't exist.

When The Phantom Menace came out we we're not prepared for the amount of suck that rivaled the most powerful of black holes.  However since we've seen Star Wars at its lowest point, could it really even achieve that level of bad...again? If it does, then it does. At least we will be prepared for any butthurt we'll be expecting. But if its good, okay we got what we wanted, a good trilogy...finally.

As to the storyline to be of Grand Admiral Thrawn or something featuring Kyle Katarn, while I would like to see that it unfortunately will not happen. Yeah, sorry High Ex.

http://www.eonline.com/news/358685/star-wars-7-plot-will-be-an-original-story-says-lucasfilm-source

Lucasfilm has asked us to unlearn what we have learned or forget the hundreds of thousands of novels, graphic novels, comic books and video games storylines. *ducks out of the way, knows fans will start to throw things*

But hey, hey, hey, that was an old article and filming won't start until May of this year. Who knows, they might listen to us. Then again... *ducks*

what if

what if you tried not watching it

shit son this is advanced stuff right here but i mean it's possible

hell, you could make this exact same argument about Star Fox. the last few games were shit, y'know? better not make anymore so it can "die with what dignity it still has."

As to the storyline to be of Grand Admiral Thrawn or something featuring Kyle Katarn, while I would like to see that it unfortunately will not happen. Yeah, sorry High Ex.

http://www.eonline.com/news/358685/star-wars-7-plot-will-be-an-original-story-says-lucasfilm-source

Lucasfilm has asked us to unlearn what we have learned or forget the hundreds of thousands of novels, graphic novels, comic books and video games storylines. *ducks out of the way, knows fans will start to throw things*

to my mind, that makes it even less likely that Star Wars will stagnate anytime soon. not only would the movies be creating their own new storyline, but they'll be spawning a whole new Expanded Universe too (unless you think that there won't be people writing intricate backstories for every nameless extra that shows up in the new films, in which case you are silly).

the Star Wars franchise is excessively bloated and overdetailed but i would hardly call it stagnant. it's a world unto itself and each new major piece of media comes with a zillion little niches for other content. and even if you don't like the Clone Wars or Luke/Han/Leia or so on, the Star Wars Expanded Universe spans 25,000 years, from Lord of the Rings aesthetics to Star Trek-looking wackiness to mystical Jedi/Sith shenanigans to hardcore military sci-fi to Wild West vibes. there is pretty much something for everyone.

the Star Wars franchise is excessively bloated and overdetailed but i would hardly call it stagnant. it's a world unto itself and each new major piece of media comes with a zillion little niches for other content. and even if you don't like the Clone Wars or Luke/Han/Leia or so on, the Star Wars Expanded Universe spans 25,000 years, from Lord of the Rings aesthetics to Star Trek-looking wackiness to mystical Jedi/Sith shenanigans to hardcore military sci-fi to Wild West vibes. there is pretty much something for everyone.

Therefore I submit:

LOBOT: THE MOVIE

Lobot_TCG_by_Barger.jpg

No other tale in the galaxy could span over this potential epic.

the part where he gets laid low by a virus that resets all his passwords and deletes system32 will be epic

I just love Star Wars so as long as it's remaining to be enjoyable, fine. Disney are business beasts, they're powerful and pretty much everywhere now, but I'm still giving them and JJ Abrams a chance with this next one at least. ;_;

Well the first four movies of the original Star Trek, in my thoughts, were alright and pretty good. V and VI were just shameful but even after that there was the Next Gen. set and Voyager some time later. Star Trek was just weeded out of the original Captain and found someone to continue the story. And could Harrison Ford really get back into the part of Han Solo again besides just a fun appearance?

I really doubt well get a movie every two years. Hell, even every 4 years seems stretchy. Yet if f we're lucky, Disney keeps a semi-similar track with the original Star Wars lore, we might get Ben Skywalker and all the other cool stories portrayed on film! I for one want to see a movie of Thrawn's Campaign and Palpatine reborn in 9 - 11ABY. (<-- 20 Bucks says this is the plot of the next movie. I fucking call it.)

Woah woah woah. Hold on a second. Star Trek VI was GOOD. It was a great ending to the Original Series and you know it. Additionally, Star Trek TNG is voted across the board as the best Star Trek series of ALL TIME. Voyager was iffy, and DS9 was okay, but for the love of God, never say that Star Trek I is better than VI. 

But back to the topic at hand:

I approve of JJ Abrams selection for Star Wars. I DONT approve of the milking of the franchise.

Wait, JJ Abrams is involved with this?

You guys are worried about Disney, but the guy responsible for Into Darkness is a-okay? emot-psyduck.gif

Woah woah woah. Hold on a second. Star Trek VI was GOOD.

Star Trek VI was GOOD.

GOOD.

Ha ha no. 

I tops VI in many aspects. I agree with TNG. Voyager was the

JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANEWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

best and DS9 wasn't that good.

Well, as told in an article posted in January, it is confirmed there will be a Boba Fett spinoff film.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1083877/boba-fett-movie-star-wars-spinoff/

boomer-will-live-o.gif

Yeah I know everybody should know this by now. But still, the Fett gets his own movie. THAT is awesome.