The Heritage Thread

Snys93

Post something unique about you from either your ancestry or a little known fact about you cultural background.

Be civil, no racial crap, obey the MODs and remember that the Lord thy DZ watches over thee and gives forth the blessing and the malediction. Amen. 

Funnily enough I'm apparently related to the guy that wrote Dog Day Afternoon.

I'm also related to a couple random minor celebrities of Canadian history but none of them have full Wikipedia articles and I think their achievements are basically "found lots of gold" and "was very good at canning peaches" so whatever.

My stepdad is also the nephew of the first Native American police officer in Canada. Not sure what you mean by "no racial crap", but that's an important and cool thing I think.

• Like 3

I'll bite. 

I hail from the mythical land of Western Europe, basically.  Ireland and England from my dad's side - French and German from my mom's.  Can't say I am related to any notable people.   Whoever they were, my last name indicates they were probably the son of Robert - and that dude must have been important.  

I guess more immediately, I draw cultural background from two other mythical places.  Missouri and Texas.  It's always a challenge to decide if I want to speak with a drawl or not...

I probably have enough Creek tribe blood on my mom's side alone to be able to officially join the tribe.

I can't tell you any cool people I'm related to because our last name is so uncommon I can usually assume anyone with the same last name as me is related. If I tell you their names then you'd know mine. Though it seems most of them are in the entertainment industry, because that's how we do.

I shall tell my tale of my relatives.

Starts out in Western Russia pre-Red Revolution and even before the first world war. This is where my Great (x7) Grandmother was raped.

Yes raped. 

There's your daily surprise moment right there. 

From there I'm part Dutch, about 50% and the other half is a mix of Irish, British, Scottish, Scott, Russian and even a bit Native American stringing from one of my grandmothers. There story there is that the connection is to the Sioux or Blackfoot Indians. We were never able to accurately figure that one out.

I'm also indirectly related to a Dutch Violinist André Rieu on account that his grandmother was Jewish and hid in my grandmothers house during the Nazi invasion of the Netherlands. 

That's all that's really note worthy. 

• Like 2

Funnily enough I'm apparently related to the guy that wrote Dog Day Afternoon.

My stepdad is also the nephew of the first Native American police officer in Canada.

youre-awesome.gif

I can't even begin to describe how incredibly awesome both of those things are.

• Like 1

I'm Scottish and therefore was born with a Claymore sword attached to my umbilical cord.

Don't look at me like that it's true.

• Like 1

Okay, I guess its time for me.

I'm 1/4 Greek and maybe 1/8 German. Everything else is English, Irish, African, Prussian, a wee bit Scottish and a hint of Jewish. My ancestors got around.

On my mothers side I'm related to John Smith, you know, Pocahontas? I'm also distantly related the Reeds, a family that migrated as part of the unfortunate Donner Party that was stranded in what is now known as Donner Pass. I'm also related to Thomas Stone a representative of Maryland in the 1700's who signed the Declaration of Independence against the British Empire. I also found that since I'm part German I'm related to some Nazis... :( yeah, eww...so I won't go into detail on that.

My ancestry is French and German. My father's side is French and Metis, whereas my mother's is German.

Potentially more interesting, on my mother's side if you trace it back you'll find that one of my great great great uncles was Frederick William Victor Albert of Prussia, AKA Wilhelm II AKA the Kaiser of Germany during WWI AKA this guy:

Kaiser_Wilhelm_Ii_and_Germany_1890_-_191

My mother has a picture of him hanging up at her place, and I do believe we have a few other things related to him somewhere. I'll have to ask her more about it sometime.

I, honestly, most sincerely, lack the care to explore my heritage.

That's like going on Yahoo Answers and typing "I don't know" in the answer box for someone's question

• Like 5

I also found that since I'm part German I'm related to some Nazis... :( yeah, eww...so I won't go into detail on that.

Does this count as racial crap or is there a context here that I'm missing? 

That's like going on Yahoo Answers and typing "I don't know" in the answer box for someone's question

No, its like expressing the fact that i have never held any impulse to explore my heritage, in a community that perpetuates itself on varying input.

No, its like expressing the fact that i have never held any impulse to explore my heritage, in a community that perpetuates itself on varying input.

No input is still no input. 

No input is still no input. 

Input --> Now you guys kno that Lord Shen doesn't care too much about his heritage.

Not some random dickwad trolling Q&A's.

Turns out one of my heritages where actually accused of witchcraft during the Salem Witch Trials. You might actually recall them as John and Elizabeth Proctor.

• Like 2

Does this count as racial crap or is there a context here that I'm missing? 

I don't mind having a German background, I just wish it didn't have anything to do with the Nazi State, which linage-wise I do. Besides, thats not being racial at all when you are ashamed of having ancestral ties to a  government organization responsible for carrying out mass genocide based on racism.

While there are people who are proud of being descended for Nazis, I however am not one of them.

It's not like the Nazis knew about the genocide.  Not the people of the party at least.  That's something that you keep under wraps if you carry it out. 

While there are people who are proud of being descended for Nazis, I however am not one of them.

In all fairness those people are usually toothless and living in some sort of fortified compound in the backwoods of Alabama.  I'm fairly certain that you don't fit that criteria. :P

In all fairness those people are usually toothless and living in some sort of fortified compound in the backwoods of Alabama.  I'm fairly certain that you don't fit that criteria. :-P

Must be waaaaay backwoods. Have you met anyone from Alabama? (Besides me and Icy :P) We can't stand crazy fringe people. Our crazy fringe people hate crazy fringe people.

• Like 2

Well heritage wise, I have a lot of my father in me, and he is of German decent, so I'm very German according to my parents.

As for related stuff, I'm related to George Stephenson-a British Inventor who created the first locomotive in 1814, and first public inter-city railway in the world to use steam locomotives.

George_Stephenson.jpg

Supposed to eb a great great great great great great great great great great uncle or grandfather of mine. We discussed it back in second grade, so its been a while.

• Like 1

Must be waaaaay backwoods. Have you met anyone from Alabama? (Besides me and Icy :-P) We can't stand crazy fringe people. Our crazy fringe people hate crazy fringe people.

I know - I was just in need of a stereotype and it fit the bill nicely.  Ridiculously-rural ares of Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Washington, Oregon, nearly every state, etc can be interchanged there as well. :D

This is what I was talking about, the guy I'm related to...unfortunately  :|

Hans Hermann Theodor Schmidt was a German SS-Hauptsturmführer and adjutant of the camp commandant of the Buchenwald concentration camp . After the war he was tried, found guilty and executed on the charge of war crimes.

17564076076526974019.jpg