HAWKEN

Jeroscope

Ive been playing a game recently called Hawken. Its a free to play mech based FPS where you pilot mechs and wreak havoc on the landscape. If you join up now, you can get a free XP boost.

Aside from that, does anyone else play it?

The concept has been really interesting. I've been wanting to the play the game for a while now, what are your thoughts on the game?

While Id normally post a video review, that would be self inserting, so instead I'll just type it out here.

HAWKEN is really f***ing awesome. There are a few different game modes. Theres bot destruction co-op, deathmatch, team deathmatch, missile assault, and seige. I encourage you start out with co-op to get a feel and hone in on your skills, cause the boss waves are hard as crap. Once your confident, jump in and try some deathmatch.

You can customize your mech with round use items (use once per round), internal mechanics (passive boosts), and different weapons. There are also cosmetic changes you can make, but they cost actual money. This game is actually pretty good about making everything important available with out needing cash, and my stats prove that this game is anything but pay to win.

Each of te different mechs have different playstyles. There are assault, suppression, assassination, ranged, defense, and support. The standard mech you get is called the Recruit, and hes actually rather balanced. A good starter that doesnt suck. There are also some top dollar mechs that you can test drive inedfinitely, but wont be able to level or modify.

The game play is pretty fluent, and controlling your mech with the field of vision adequately set gives you enough sight to see people coming. Maneuvering takes a minute to get used to, but is essential if youre going for a high speed class as opposed to armored/range.

All in all, Hawken is freaking awesome.

I played it a long, long time ago in closed beta and did not care for it. The mech customization was abysmal and you could only change your primary weapon. Has that changed at all?

You cant change the secondary still, but you can add itms, internal passive boosts, and customize appearance as I said before.

Then I shall continue not playing it.