Depression?

TCPeppyTc

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but does anyone here have/struggle with depression and if so how do you deal with it?

Id say I "used to" suffer from frequent bouts of depression. I never knew how to deal with it other than to just wait it out and hope I didnt get too crazy over it. It hasn't been until pretty recent that I haven't had as many problems - I largely attribute it to staying busy (I feel like boredom is what allows me to consume my time feeling bad about the past) and also feeling a sense of empowerment in the outcomes in my life.

• Like 1

It depends on what sort of depression you mean. In either case it's pertinent to seek help from a therapist because they can either be a good sounding board for whatever's stressing you out (daily life can be pretty depressing!) or you can start taking steps to determine if it's a physiological symptom or something that needs to be medicated.

I have a couple weird health problems for which depression seems to be both a cause and a symptom, but a lot of it seems to have abated since I was prescribed--get this--the birth control pill for a different issue. But getting back into old hobbies, eating properly, and paying off old loans and bills have also helped a great deal! So there's a lot of different factors and everyone's sort of different in what may cause it and what may help.

When I have my bouts, I listen to music I love while writing and just draw off that raw untapped energy of emotion. I'm at my best at my worst and see that positive from the obvious negative.

• Like 1

Thats probably true. Im on a pill for it... Idk... last month and a half of law school approaches.... 

I just have sort of an unfortunate, not fun middle/high school past that I occassionally find myself thinking on.. activity helps... Just wanted to get it out of system...

Thanks for replies

• Like 1

Thats probably true. Im on a pill for it... Idk... last month and a half of law school approaches.... 

I just have sort of an unfortunate, not fun middle/high school past that I occassionally find myself thinking on.. activity helps... Just wanted to get it out of system...

Thanks for replies

Glad to help :D

I dip in an out of breif but intense states of depression.

Been this way since the bullshit with my ex-fiancee. Personally, I just stay away from driving or any sharp or bullet-y firing things when I start thinking about it.

My way of dealing with much of any emotional distress is rage (as many of you TF-2 players can attest)

Find someone or something to blame for your pain, and hate the hell out of them, find a way to vent this hate (taping pictures of people you hate to targets at gun-firing ranges is not advised) and just let it all out.

While this coping mechanism works for me, I dont advise trying it, as it tends to sabotage your relationships with people close to you

Edit: and when I say vent, I dont mean get violent physically. Theres a sizeable dent in my wall and I constantly have wrist pains because I tried that and just... dont be violent about it, try to be constructive with your rage

Play a game (mic off is best)

work with clay

cook something

Or best, play with small animals (puppies make everything better)

• Like 2

While this coping mechanism works for me, I dont advise trying it, as it tends to sabotage your relationships with people close to you

This this this this this. I no longer have a relationship with my sister because of a similar reason. She was the one prone to violence when she was upset, and stuff happened.

Absolutely get therapy if you can, I found it to be very helpful in dealing with my own issues back in high-school.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but does anyone here have/struggle with depression and if so how do you deal with it?

I have bipolar disorder, and dip in and out of states of depression and states of frantic hyperactivity. I used to be on medication for it but that made me feel very numb, took away my motivation and energy and I slept too much. My first time taking it I slept almost 2 days.

One thing I need to say about medication for depression aka anti-depressants (not for bipolar disorder, those are anti-psychotics) is that they take between 2 weeks and a month to start making a difference in your body. If you've just started them, don't expect anything for some time, but DO keep taking them and see how you feel after a month. Trying is worth it as they help many.

How I deal with it? I keep myself busy. Very busy. I draw, write, read, cook elaborate things, blog, try to keep as many friends as possible. Although in Germany now I have no friends and that's pretty damn hard on me. Things that also help me are sleeping at least 8 hours a night, eating healthy, having frequent and moderate level exercise, and also avoiding alcohol and cigarettes. Alcohol because it sends me into one state or the other, and cigarettes because I just don't want to go back to smoking to deal with stress. Oh and I can't not mention this - sometimes a good crying session is enough. If you've got to bawl about something, do it. Feels good to get it out of the system, and there is no shame about it.

Another thing that is priceless help is removing bastards from your life. Trust me on this one. Only spend time with people who value you properly.

It's best to open up to people close to you and whom you trust. Don't push them away. It might feel better at the time but believe me, overcoming the hard job of talking about it will make it much easier for you and those around you. Do not lash out at others and don't tell people they won't understand. If they say they want to help, give them the chance and let them.

Since you say you've had medication for it I can assume you've been officially diagnosed. Too many people diagnose themselves via Wiki these days hahahahaha. But all the same, if you don't feel any better and you've given the tablets a chance, talk to your doctor about another type of medication and/or therapy. Therapy helps, I can't stress that enough and I'm not just backing it up because it's my profession. Therapy is an alternative treatment and merely talking in sessions can help, especially if you set targets with your therapist and work towards something better. Please consider it.

Anyway, regarding this topic, I'll be watching it closely due to rules and possible triggers for others who may read. But I hope some of the posts here help you, TCPeppy.

• Like 1

oh boy

So I have a lot of experience with depression by proxy. My girlfriend's family is fucked up as all hell and she's suffered quite a bit as a result. She had severe depression for around 4 year (and I don't use the word severe lightly here).

My first tip is medicate. If you're taking something, keep taking it, hopefully it helps.

Secondly - Be with other people. For my girlfriend, that was me. I'm the reason she's doing a lot better, but she still slips sometimes. It's terrifying for me and I know it's not good for her. It's going to be a long road for us and I don't think it's ever going to go away.

The biggest thing for you is just to remember that people do love you. Your friends, us, we're all here for you if you need to call on us. Hopefully what you're experiencing isn't nearly as deep as what my girlfriend deals with, but I'm not going to do the whole "THEY'RE JUST DOING IT FOR ATTENTION" deal because honestly that's not helping anyone that is depressed. You're a human being with value and people do care about you.

Try to do something that you can vent, whether it be art, writing, or otherwise. Get those feelings out.

Feel free to PM me if you need advice from me or my gf. I take this shit seriously.

I never had or have someone I know that has major depression, so I really doubt I can speak in on an emotional stand point. Yet I do have some experience with helping others cope with their depression symptoms. 

1. Meds. Take them. They help. 

2.People. Talk to others. This helps vent situations and can really get things off your chest when you need it. Friends, family, SFOers all listen and we all care. 

3. Vent. Whether it be music or art or vidyagames, everyone does something to vent stress, frustration and sadness. Whenever you feel down, vent. And like Red said, a good crying can be relaxing. And keeping yourself busy. This changes the power your brain is using to feel sad into something productive.

4. Why be sad? This one is a bit on the weird side and I guess it fits with coping ... maybe? I have a friend who had depression and major bouts with it. However whenever he became sad, our Calc Teacher would ask "What's up." or "Why are you sad?" I not sure if it works with everyone, but it sure changed him through out the day. I don't know, maybe realizing that there's nothing to be really sad about helps or something. 

Yeah what Snyston said; listen to music yo like...look at pictures that make you happy perhaps? Talk it out with a friend or loved one....god ofr a walk and let the air clear your head. Drink some water or chew some gum. That'll energize you right quick.

me I listen to the songs I like (except love songs and blues or anything with a slow tempo, somehow they make more depressed xD ) or watch funny videos or comedy films I have. If I am depressed before going to sleep I just play a video game or read a book.

Also Depends on what factors are bothering you. If it's just school and future higher educational challenges, then I would recommend doing something you enjoy doing, or better yet, try something new like a new hobby or past time. This will help keep you happy and content before and during your semester because dwelling on degrees and long term goals can be draining. Plus, be social, friendship is the most underrated medication in most situations people pay hundreds of dollars for anti-depressants that can take months to finally kick in. Hope all gets better.

I struggle with "waves" of depression. Some week I'll feel fine and the next two weeks I'll just feel like a waste of space and I just want to not exist at all.

This all started eight years ago. Constant bullying in elementary and high school plus my Dad being a dick to me pretty much caused me to be passive, gain intense anxiety, and believe that I had no worth as a person.

I have a therapist that I talk to. Since last year I've started to fight these feelings by counter-acting negative self talk, and just generally actively trying to think positively. I still have a long way to go but I don't want to get medicated for personal reasons. I'm just sick of feeling this way all the time and I want to start taking back what's mine.

Just do what you gotta do to beat it. Doesn't have to be glamorous, just do what you need to do.

• 3 weeks later...

I HAVE DEPRESSION possibly.

At least in the past.  And when I'm at home.

When I'm at college I'm okay, usually.  Depression is mean.  ;^;  But I refuse to ever take medication for it.

Anyways, I'm fine enough.

If I ever get depressed, I try doing things that normally make me happy. Like draining out my emotions through hours of non-stop gaming.

But I refuse to ever take medication for it.

Why? That's like refusing to get a cast put on a broken leg.

There are a few legit reasons not to take medication (eg. you're showing side effects) but it's a harmful myth that people with clinical depression can just power through it without help and that DRUGS ARE EVUL!!1!1 

Wow can't believe i've never seen this topic in the past.

I myself have moderate depression during the daytime, only getting sad slightly at rare moments, otherwise I'm relatively fine.

Nighttime is when I get hit big time. It's like a switch just flips inside me and I suddenly hate everything about my life and myself. I've cried myself to sleep multiple times in the past.

The main way I cope with it though is either slight acts of violence against inanimate objects....or the better option, talking to people. Every night i make sure that I have contact set up with one friend who is willing to deal with sad Solar for the night.

Now to add to what Drasina said..while I myself have never taken any, (since I haven't told anyone in my real life) pills would definitely be a good thing for you to use, i'm sure they'd help you greatly.

I got lots of experience with depression, unfortunately :/

I tried pretty much every anti-depressant on the market, and only one worked, but not that well.. And it actually crippled my stamina completely, to the point I had a vagal episode and got carried to the hospital during class, after being late and climbing the 4 stories in a hurry... So we switched to something else. And nothing really worked after that. Eventually, my digestive system began getting really irritated from the pills and stuff, and now I got something close to the irritable bowel syndrome and can't eat most things I used to like. They stopped the pills when I lost like literally 30 lbs.. Because I began eating only because I need to, and not because I like to.. And of course, I had to stop soft drinks almost completely.. Its hard to like it when it makes you spend half your day in the bathrooms..

So yeah, anti-depressant kinda help, but you don't want to take that for more than 3 years or less.. I had those for nearly 6, and it started doing damages..

What really helps, is trying to get a feeling of accomplishment somehow.. Succeeding at something, having your work appreciated by others to make you feel useful. Getting your diploma, sharing with people your creative endeavors, etc..

Also, I noticed that I read, watched and played way too many dark / grim / depressing movies, games, books, articles, etc.. It might sound stupid, but the time I began getting more into childish, cute, fun, light-hearted stuff, it just made being happy easy !

I spend easily half and hour or more re-blogging cute pokemon pictures and stuff on tumblr, to the regrets of my followers :P

Sure, its kinda awkward sometimes to be a 25 years old guy, annoying everyone about cute pokemons and whatever, but its a good way to get used to awkwardness, because you can't get away from it no matter how hard you try ! There's always going to be something about yourself making you awkward / weird to others !  XD

Social anxiety like that is another thing that often plays a part in depression.

And this is coming from someone who was this close of jumping down a bridge 1-2 year(s) ago. After you realize just how serious what you were about to attempt to do, and how damn close you got to, you just stop caring about petty social "norms" like that...

Then, I'm sure you'll know what I'm talking about when I mention that little voice in your head that keeps bringing up things that you're ashamed of, that made you suffer, or embarrassed you ?

And then you begin thinking about how much you hate yourself for that, that you're not good and etc.. Well, you shouldn't give in to that. If you begin thinking and blaming yourself for those things, the trick someone gave me to deal with it is to provoke yourself in keeping the insults coming. Basically telling yourself, "Alright, what else ? Keep it coming !"..

And after doing that, you'll realize you don't have anything else to chastise yourself about 90% of the time, and it stops right there.. It might even leave you chuckling at yourself outsmarting yourself ! (not sure how that works...)

I got that in an article about fighting depression, I shouldn't have distorted it too much hopefully ! But the idea is to not put up with that needless reminder of things you've done or lived that nobody else even frets over except you. When it happens, do something, anything to avoid putting up with that bs ! Do something else that requires enough concentration to avoid thinking about it. It can be anything really.

Then, you want to stimulate yourself. Do things that give you vivid emotions ! I don't know, if some movie makes you cry of joy, or of sadness / beauty (well, the outcome shouldn't be too tragic in that case. Good happy endings are much better in that respect that sad, cold, cold, endings..), or make you laugh your ass off, then that's a good start !

Changing the way you talk about things, your attitude, etc can all contribute to make you less depressed. Euphemism for talking about bad things in your life are always great. But trying to insist on the good side of all things instead of the bad sides, even if its inherently a bad thing, definitely helps..

Keep a strict routine going. Something simple can do. I try to wake up at the same time everydays even though I don't do anything special, I always take a shower, brush my teeth in the same order, etc.. It helps driving you a little, and keep you from going into complete apathy.

I guess that's all I can think of right now.

• Like 1

Why? That's like refusing to get a cast put on a broken leg.

There are a few legit reasons not to take medication (eg. you're showing side effects) but it's a harmful myth that people with clinical depression can just power through it without help and that DRUGS ARE EVUL!!1!1 

I don't think I need medication.  I'm only depressed when at home, and I've gotten better over time.

I know some people need it, I just don't think I do.

But I also don't like the idea of taking drugs that affect my brain.