Who should be playable?

ArwingFan

With the exception of Starfox 2 and Command, Fox is the only character playable in single player.  What if the next game brings back new playable characters again, and what kind of abilities should they have?

When you mean "abilities" I assume you are talking about those Multiplayer bonuses from Assault? I wouldn't want that kind of thing impacting the gameplay at that point. To be honest, I also wouldn't want characters to have different "ablilities" such as arwing skill and landmaster skill, however, I could see that sort of thing adding the element of strategy to SF. It would be fun to have one or two missions where a character you are forced to play as (say Falco) needs to use the Landmaster (I am going by Assault here assuming that Falco is actually bad at using the Landmaster) because his arwing is heavily damaged and will not be able to travel through the atmosphere without breaking apart.

Just an idea. Personally I think everyone should be "even" in skill. If anything, I would actually prefer the SF Command or SF 2 approach in how different characters specialize in different classes of ships. However, they could expand on that by allowing all characters to use all ships and for that matter all classes of vehicles...well maybe with the exception of SF flying Wolfens and SW flying Arwings. I hope that made sense.

The way Command did multiple playable characters was one of the game's highlights. Improved upon, it could be a really fun mechanic, though I know there doesn't seem to be much indication they're going that way with SFU despite the co-op and we don't know the state of any real multiplayer mode.

I always thought it would be fun, though--pure imagination here and no expectation of this showing up in SFU, or any foreseeable future Star Fox game at all--to pick up characters as you go along the plot and be able to swap out party members as you need in a sort of RPG fashion.

Class system would be Ace Pilot/Engineer/Intelligence and you'd be locked to one of each per mission. Everyone would have their unique perks that could be further altered or upgraded through purchases: for instance, Falco and Leon would both qualify as Aces, but give them similar ship qualities as they had in Command: will you go with Falco's faster, sharper precision at the cost of his lower healthbar (which you can upgrade), or will you take along Leon, less speedy (which you can also upgrade) but with that crazy scatter-shot laser? Also having the ability to alter position/AI for all-range missions, ie "Stick Krystal in the Landmaster and have her cover Falco who is in the sky while Slippy covers Fox on-foot going into the base.

• Like 1