OH YEA! Starfox confirmed for next E3!

geoprimedonna

So are you saying DZ, that as of right now there is no on foot system like what Assault had? I would find it odd to have the Arwingcopter as its own separate vehicle if it only exists on specific missions. I think it would be more effective to have missions where you needed to use the Arwingcopter (it's gonna take a while to get used to that name...) for specific objectives, and the regular Arwing/tank for other objectives. It would really be disappointing if the Arwingcopter became a vehicle that was hyped up only to have very few missions where it is implemented.

There were three levels in the E3 build:

Arwing

Fly around and shoot enemies. The Arwing could transform into a tank.

VS Wolf

Star Wolf battle

City

Arwingcopter level. It was actually a co-op level in the demo

Note that "Arwingcopter" is just a name people have been kicking around. We don't know what it is actually called yet.

I also caution against extrapolating too much from this build. It was little more than a proof-of-concept built.

If the game is coming out late summer or fall as implied, I imagine we'll find out something in the next Nintendo Direct. If not, I'd starting wondering about delays.

You've got it a little off. The "Arwingcopter," as people are calling it, has a robot that hangs from it that is independently controlled. The Arwing does not transform into the Arwingcopter, at least not as of the E3 2014 build. The level was started in it.

Where did you hear that?

You've got it a little off. The "Arwingcopter," as people are calling it, has a robot that hangs from it that is independently controlled. The Arwing does not transform into the Arwingcopter, at least not as of the E3 2014 build. The level was started in it.

However, the Arwing did transform into a tank, so the Landmaster as we know it is no more. It is worth noting that Miyamoto has wanted the Arwing to transform into a ground vehicle since the SNES days. The original idea was a walking mech, as seen in Star Fox 2. When SF64 development started, the dev team resisted the walker and created the Landmaster instead. The new game combines the two approaches to ground combat.

Wow, you know what's crazy about this? It was Confirmed today that the Arwing can transform into a tank! ( Well, at least confirmed for me cause I didn't know anything about this transformation mode)

There wasn't any news on the helicopter thing, however...

MOTION CONTROLS ARE OPTIONAL :D 

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/02/18/star-fox-for-wii-u-apparently-wont-require-motion-based-controls/#comments

YAY.

That means we continue pressing buttons like crazy!

• Like 1

NCL reiterated that Star Fox is coming this year during the investor meeting yesterday:

25l.jpg

Project Guard is conspicuously absent.

Where did you hear that?

Pretty much every article on Star Fox U from E3.

MOTION CONTROLS ARE OPTIONAL :D

While likely true, I would take that as a grain of salt. Every article I'm seeing on this is quoting a single post on the vgchartz forums.

• Like 1

I'm dubious of the TV show-style episodic gameplay. I'm not really sure how that'll work. I have seen it done before in Lost: Via Domus, but that game wasn't good, so I'm suspicious.

"The Big N" didn't say anything about it, Miyamoto said he thought that format might suit Star Fox -- in no way confirming they were for sure making it an episodic game. Episodic games are pretty self-explanatory. They follow a television-like format, where they're a little shorter but they come out more frequently and tend to continue the same story. Telltale's have been fairly successful.

A lot of that could be extrapolation, though. I remember a lot of the talk about it was "like a TV show." I don't remember Miyamoto actually saying "episodic."

Remember: the original inspiration for Star Fox were old TV shows like The Thunderbirds. It could mean that the game is being done in the style of those shows.

I'm a little concerned that they're still using the Assault logo for Starfox...

Is it just a revised logo or is it just the same one?

You'd think by now they'd at least have a working title from which to use..

something like

"Project Starfox jamboree"

or

"Project Starfox Dong-wanger"

"Project Star-dong-fox" ?

• Like 3

A lot of that could be extrapolation, though. I remember a lot of the talk about it was "like a TV show." I don't remember Miyamoto actually saying "episodic."

Nah he was pretty explicitly referring to episodic-format games. Here's the quote from the Nintendolife article:

...One thing I’m thinking is that with this Star Fox we may take a different approach, so that rather than one big title we have multiple releases that are connected through different missions. If I was to describe the Star Fox series up until now as being sort of a movie series, I guess I’d describe this new approach as something that’s more like a TV series for Star Fox.

wrt logo/lack of title beyond "Star Fox" thing, I wouldn't be too worried since blockbuster-of-the-year Zelda U seems to be in the same boat. Nevermind the almost hilariously clinical-looking logo Mario Maker seems to be sat with. Nothing quite says "cute interactive game featuring your lovable Italian plumber!" like thin black text on a stark white background.

• Like 1

One thing I’m thinking is that with this Star Fox we may take a different approach, so that rather than one big title we have multiple releases that are connected through different missions.

Hmm, somehow I missed this. Interesting.

♪ Come with me â™«

♪ and you'll see â™«

♪ A Wooooooorld of â™«

♪ pure flight simulation. â™«

♪ What we'll play â™«

♪ will astound â™«

♪ our generatioooooooooooon. â™«

You shamelessly stole that from the 1971 version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. but since thats one of my favorite movies i'll let it slide :biggrin:

And Nintendo's STILL milking the Mario Party franchise?

I keep thinking the same exact thing... :/

Doesn't anybody else think it is very suspicious that we seen more of the next Legend of Zelda title than the next Star Fox? After the former got a teaser trailer at E3 2014, a demo gameplay presentation (which confirms Star Fox coming before the former) at The Game Awards, we still barely have any idea what the potential Star Fox Wii U title is like. You must admit that The Legend of Zelda is a much bigger IP than Star Fox, yet Nintendo were open to reveal more about it than a less notable series like Star Fox. Heck, even the brand new IP Splatoon is getting a lot more love, albeit it is due to arrive before E3 2015 starts anyway.

Various sources state the game had been years in the making, originally conceived as an early Wii game even, and yet when E3 2014 came, the reporters who got to witness the demo build available testify the game is at a very early stage of development. And until now, we're still trying to scrap for any piece of info that we could muster. I am wondering why in the world is Nintendo keeping this game as if it was the biggest secret since "Codename Revolution" (which is known nowadays as "Wii")?

Perhaps they've been quiet because they don't want to ruin first impressions of the game by showing something that is in a very early stage of development. 

• Like 1

What exactly is everyone so suspicious of? That it's all been an elaborate ruse and that the game doesn't really exist and it was just Shiggy pulling a fast one on us nerds??

They've reiterated the 2015 release like twice now and confirmed it will be fully playable at E3. Last year's E3 was using an early build (much earlier than the point of development they were actually at) because Miyamoto kind of sprang it on everyone last minute and they didn't prepare a specific E3 build.

They could spring a Direct on us like, tomorrow, who knows

I know it's a nail-biting wait for us because we're fans but chill, I really don't think there's anything to be worried about. Even if they do wind up delaying it, good, because that means there's less of a chance of them shipping us an incomplete game.

• Like 2

At least it's not Half-Life 3

Ank60QV.png

Truth.

I'll just be happy when they actually give us some substantial footage of the game. A trailer, a screenshot, a logo. ANYTHING! :(

"A delayed game can be made good. A rushed game will be bad forever." ~Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Like 4

It just hit me.

Once SF: WiiU is released, this thread will lose it's purpose and become meaningless.

• Like 1

It just hit me.

Once SF: WiiU is released, this thread will lose it's purpose and become meaningless.

Umm...

ta-serto.jpg

...yeah, I guess so.  :|

• 4 weeks later...

From what a good buddy of mine, and a fellow Star Fox fan, have noticed ever since the new-age Nintendo consoles (We call it that for some reason, and we're talking about the 3DS and WiiU) came out with Smash and having any mention of Star Fox in general, the Star Fox logo and Fox's model for advertisement was mostly from Assault.  My guess is that it's the most recognizable model - don't take my word for that - and one most people would recognize from the Gamecube era.

But, I have to agree with Drasiana and DZ here.  I've been patient this long - almost 10 years now - and I think I can wait a little longer.  I've also watched the interview they had with Miyamoto and it reminded me of  something similar to what they said during the Wii's run about Star Fox.  So, I just take what they say about the franchise with a grain of salt until something official comes out - say, a screenshot; title logo; demo, beta or alpha; etc.  I had thought they were going to do a game involving his design from Brawl, but that didn't come to anything other than an updated-ish look for him.

I'm just very curious as to how the aesthetics and design of the environments, vehicles, characters, etc., are going to look like on the WiiU - if that's the console they're planning on releasing it on.  I particularly enjoyed the more updated looks of Star Fox command, albeit some of the bland enemy types.  

But, not to drift too far off topic, I just hope they take their time to make a quality and worth-while game.

There's a video floating around claiming to show a "Star Fox Horizons" for tomorrow's direct.

While I would not be surprised to see something about SFU, this video looks highly suspicious.