The SFO Car/Vehicle General Thread

Dr. Orange

This is my ride till I get my car back, a minibike with a 5.5 Hp motor.

It go zoom zoom

IMG_20170505_150238.jpg

• Like 5

So I got my car back. 1998 Chevy Camaro with a 3.8L V6, rebuilding a 5.7 V8 to drop in it, still plenty of fun OWO

IMG_20170303_111159.jpg

• Like 4

On 5/12/2017 at 11:14 PM, Kurt said:

So I got my car back. 1998 Chevy Camaro with a 3.8L V6, rebuilding a 5.7 V8 to drop in it, still plenty of fun OWO

IMG_20170303_111159.jpg

YASS, BISH, YASSSSSSS!

What exactly are you paying for one gallon of fuel?

According to AAA, the average price in the US per gallon right now is about $2.37 for regular.  Most of the stations around where I live have regular 87 octane priced at around $2.50 a gallon.

http://gasprices.aaa.com/

Locally 87oct. Is about 2.53. Costco gets that down to 2.37.

Okay...

1 gallon = 3,79 litres

Avg. price in € here for one litre of diesel: 1,10 €

3,79 l = 4,17 € = 4,66 $

For petrol, you could add nearly one dollar more. :/

And despite rising gas prices here, more and more bigger cars show up, especially RAMs, which breed like rabbits. And I doubt that Dodge is throwing them out like candy.

Oh shit I realized I never posted my new wheels on here:

7qQu8ct.jpg

QLo0eIg.jpg

S U P E R T H I C C 

2004 Volvo V70R AWD with an exceedingly rare 6-speed manual transmission (only 114 made for the 2004 model year)! Buying this thing was interesting - the dude who sold it to me had a super thick Russian accent and was named Yuriy. When I was signing the papers for the vehicle there was, no joke, a map of the USSR on his wall. He said "This is not Volvo. This is rocket ship." to me when I first came to look at the vehicle. He's definitely right - 296(?) horsepower and 300 ft/lb of torque shoved through the Haldex AWD system is something to behold, especially with how heavy it is. I'm gonna need a radar detector for this guy.

I've a list of stuff I need to do. The interior is pretty beat up, but I got it detailed so it's much, much better than it was. The (super fucking comfortable) seats need a lot of work, they're cracked and worn away in some parts. There's kind of an odd mechanical smell on the interior which makes me suspicious there might be an exhaust leak somewhere. It needs a head unit with Bluetooth because NPR is always super mf depressing and there's no other good radio stations up here. The rear deck, as you can see in the photo, needs to be painted. I need to have a Volvo dealership go over the whole thing to make sure it won't blow up on me. There's some weird squeaks and rattles and the brakes squeal quite a bit (metallic pads on metallic rotors, real deal Brembos though!). Beyond that, there's just some missing trim and other grocery list items to do. I'm excited to have something I can make mine and something as rare and special as this car. So long as it doesn't leave me stranded/blow up all the time in the next year I'll be keeping her for a long time.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

My Certified Preowned Toyota Corolla is the ultimate chick magnet. Who could resist this car's AM/FM/CD/Bluetooth, a rear view backup camera, and optional seatwarmers? I mean my car doesn't have seatwarmers, but they were an available option!

Really though, this thing is great for long roadtrips. Comfy enough to sit in, and if I go a bit under the limit I can get 45 MPG on the highway easy.

I also have some decals.

corolla.jpg

decals.jpg

• Like 1

My Certified Preowned Toyota Corolla is the ultimate chick magnet. Who could resist this car's AM/FM/CD/Bluetooth, a rear view backup camera, and optional seatwarmers? I mean my car doesn't have seatwarmers, but they were an available option!

Really though, this thing is great for long roadtrips. Comfy enough to sit in, and if I go a bit under the limit I can get 45 MPG on the highway easy.

I also have some decals.

corolla.jpg

decals.jpg

Yass, henneh.

Got some big cajones for having the Krystal decal. Making momma proud my boi.

Got some big cajones for having the Krystal decal. Making momma proud my boi.

I mean I was considering a vinyl wrap of her on the hood, but I figured this'd be a bit more subtle, ya know?

• Like 1

I mean I was considering a vinyl wrap of her on the hood, but I figured this'd be a bit more subtle, ya know?

Should have gone full 1970s custom van paintjob. 

maxresdefault.jpg

o89DDtu.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The 2019 Chevy Silverado had some press recently.

qi1mx33spzn71tgku2rp.jpg

How is it that full sized trucks have gotten so huge as of late?  The front ends of these things practically rival freight trains - the hood looks like it comes up to that guy's neck! 

• 1 month later...

New CatConvert or Muff me boi? 

For what car?

On 1/21/2018 at 11:44 PM, Lord Shen said:

> For what car

Oh it's a 199X Throttle Body Single Injector Voomer.

Intuitively, I believe the exhaust is clogged. Money is on the cat. Undesirables include: dead poines,  glowing hot cat,  smoke billowing up the shifter.

I tell you what. I knew something was going down when it took me three tries to get over nare but a two foot tall hill. I know where my clutch bites. Sure as shit. Sure as leather jesus cross my backside, ten minutes later, three quarters of my speedometer don't exist.

I know I can measure for backpressure at the oxygen sensor. I know I would have to drill a hole to test the muff in isolation.

But why did it happen it the first place?

It's old? => Lame. Well I did hear prior a faint ticking coming from the belly of the car in the cat area, and the muff lookin mitee rusty.

Running rich to failure => Maybe. I'll have to read the fuel trims. In hindsight, I note the injector sounding different and the spray pattern looking wet.

Chaos theory? => Now we're talking. I'm into that next level woo phenomenology.  Don't read this paragraph. The right back wheel gets 'hot'. Hot enough to fry eggs on. Why? It's a drum brake and the brakes shoes aren't seated goodly. Why? Either the drum shoes are oversized or I woke up on the wrong side of the bed because: I stripped the right drum-brake-wheel-cylinder bolt when trying to replace the rear brakes. The drum brake wheel cylinder was lookin like it needed replacing - it has an imperfect seal. I left it as is because I didn't feel like drilling a bolt out and ordering a new one. This subtlety may be why the shoes won't sit right. Now the brake shoes rub against the drum till it gets hot, af. Some redneck suggested letting the pads wear down into its imperfect seating by driving on it a few miles then re-calibrating the adjuster lever and I fell for it. Driving on this friction for two seconds was enough to be like virtual towing and tip my house of cards into a failure condition. I bet the exhaust restriction wasn't due to pronounce for at least another five years.

The Plays:

Test fuel

Read Fuel trims

Give everything fuel related a once over

Resolve Undesirables

Plan Econo boi: Measure ahead of cat, if clogged, replace cat, measure ahead of cat again. Observe. Replace muff if feel like.

Mission Data boi: Measure ahead of cat, drill hole after cat,  measure after cat. Observe. Replace. Plug Hole.

Operation Astute boi: Measure ahead of cat, if clogged, replace cat and muff.

Fix drum break

pls no

So, Shen, are you formally trained or anything on cars and mechanics? I myself am currently attending Universal Technical Institute in Orlando, Florida, and I took up the BMW FastTrack program. It's pretty rigorous and a lot of information squeezed into a little time, but I get to play around with 100k German driving machines!

No. I took calculus III and installed linux - now I'm just woke af.

Actually: I don't even have a real need for a car. I just have a jalopy and tools and space and time at my disposal. I've been pouring money into it in case I ever need to go the distance for that pus.

Honestly just bought a shop manual for the vehicle and youtube video'd and intuition'd my way into the sunset. Learn about what is broke, fix it. Scanner Danner up.Schrodingers Box up. 

Follow the script until we dem boyz.

• Like 1

My boi Shen. I hope to drift against you in the future.

Also general question. I'm looking for a working on car. Just shooting ideas out if anyone has any. The Tib is great but she's my DD and is far too past the prime of ever making her a show car.

So if anyone has any Cars that are prefered V6, Rear/AWD, Base 250hpw Coups that can be tuned to the REEEEEEE hit me up.

Thinking an Infiniti G35/37 or Q60, Nissan 350Z, Honda Civic, 07+ Mustang or if I can find a cheap as free Hyundai Genisis. Most of these are Asian but that's just because I've driven them and know the bare on them. I'm open to any suggestions.  

Can't do it mate. Not a coupe. 

Love the battlewagon style but I need my small coupe parking ability lol.