E3 2015. Star Fox Wii U. The hype begins...

The VGM Lover

For it to pull a Colonial Marines, that'd require footage we've seen to be 100% rendered and not indicative at all of the final product, for it to be outsourced like crazy, and for most of the funds sent in for it to be stolen and used on another game.

I hope they give this game a good style, however, as my friend and I are in agreement, it lacks stylization, everything just looks so... 2006 generic.

• Like 1

The buttmad Krystal Generation Tears empower me like so much sugary drinks. Deeeeliiiiicious.

​*Wistful reminiscence of the one true General.*

I'm liking the style so far. I don't know why people gripe about the style looking old, the game doesn't need individually animated water droplets and dumptrucks of bloom/blur effects. I like the new take on the SF look.

Fox is looking especially furry, though. My favorite rendition has always been his sleek Brawl/ssbu look, but then I see him talking on the comm in those videos with the more textured look to him and it gives the leader of Star Fox a more grizzled, badass aura to him. 'Spretty cool.

• Like 1

Ugh, really Nintendo? You're using the Brawl/Command Fox design again? I was hoping they would use something similar to Project M Fox, but it looks like it's not gonna happen at this point if all the character designs and stuff have already been finalized. Oh well, I shouldn't disregard this game just because of a character's appearance, the game itself is much more important.

I don't mind the character design that much, especially when compared to the Assault design.  I will say that I wish he looked a little bit less like a Shiba Inu and more like a Fox, and that his muzzle was a bit more prognathic/lengthy as it looks like he was hit in the face with a shovel currently, but those are minor gripes at best.

I'm curious as to who the voice cast will be made up of.  Assault's voice cast was actually pretty good IMO, and I'd love to see a few of those VAs make returns.  (Though I think that's Mike West doing Fox again, which isn't a bad thing.)

I hope they give this game a good style, however, as my friend and I are in agreement, it lacks stylization, everything just looks so... 2006 generic.

I agree on this point.  The graphics aren't bad, but it seems like it lacks character.  Everything is clean and shiny, like the models came from a 3D modeling program with no lighting.  Compare it to the upcoming Ratchet and Clank title, for example, and hopefully that will shed some light on what I'm trying to get at.  

Edited by OneUnder

Considering they're still using temporary assets, like Katt's character portrait, there may be a few graphical improvements by the time it's launched.

I honestly still don't really understand all the "ugh it looks like a Gamecube game" complaints though.

• Like 1

AH FUCK I'M LATE

88c.png

FUCK ME I'M READY

Game looks fucking good imo, the graphics are totally sufficient. Load it up with some post processing/more particles and I think people would think it's gorgeous.

Now with all the ideas from StarFox 2 just give me Miyu and I will literally shit myself

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Like 1

FUCK ME I'M READY

Game looks fucking good imo, the graphics are totally sufficient. Load it up with some post processing/more particles and I think people would think it's gorgeous.

Now with all the ideas from StarFox 2 just give me Miyu and I will literally shit myself

there ya go ^^ i think the controls will be a-ok. people just need practice is all. besides this is just a demo. im positive the finished product will be much better. this is nintendo we're talking about here. 6 months is a pretty long time imo.

and yes. world needs more miyu. *nod, nod* yes siree bob.

• Like 1

Eh. People shat on Splatoon for controls last year. Now everyone thinks Splatoon is the shit.

• Like 2

Eh..what can I say?.....

I%20love%20it_zpsu4ofpoe4.gif

Just amazing how they kinda re-do the series, by using the old/original stuff and give it a new point of view.

Different way some characters meet, (partly) different planet missions and hey, Caiman got a slight bigger role this time!

• Like 1

I still don't see the problem with the graphics. I like the stylized look. Kind of gives it a nice retro look in a way. But, what got me the most is the gameplay. Seeing it from multiple interviews, especially Nintendo Treehouse stuff on how cinematic it is (and in some cases, if you're going to do a dog fight, some of the angles/combat moments, they do a freeze frame special effect), sure it may be old news at this point since I'm pretty sure some of you seen what I'm talking about, had me loosing my mind. 

The argument that "Assault looks better than this" or "It looks like a Gamecube/PS2 game" argument is infuriating. What we saw may very well be early beta. But, judging by one or two trailers of a unfinished product is silly. Especially considering the fact that Youtube quality is the worst, even at 1080P. 

• Like 1

I honestly still don't really understand all the "ugh it looks like a Gamecube game" complaints though.

I think people mean it lacks current gen texture details on the models. 

The only Gamecube game it reminds me of is Star Fox Assault. Why? Because the levels feel just as empty, boring, and there just aren't enough enemies coming at you like in SF64. The part where you have to project the tower from generic bug type enemies was also an ugly sight.. Kinda reminds me of Star Fox Assault's Corneria mission..... Nothing but space and emptiness 

Edited by Joseph.

I think people mean it lacks current gen texture details on the models. 

The only Gamecube game it reminds me of is Star Fox Assault. Why? Because the levels feel just as empty, boring, and there just aren't enough enemies coming at you like in SF64. The part where you have to project the tower from generic bug type enemies was also an ugly sight.. Kinda reminds me of Star Fox Assault's Corneria mission..... Nothing but space and emptiness 

I was able to see the Corneria level being demoed at the Nintendo World Store, and I concur.  The visuals aren't bad at all, and the framerate is stellar.  The levels, however, are barren and practically lifeless though.  It really makes the game feel empty - why can't Corneria look like a city instead of a large field with a few buildings here and there?

Here's another Ratchet and Clank comparison because I found this GIF and I'm going to use it somewhere, goddammit.  The starting footage is from the original game on the PS2, and the ending footage is from the upcoming game on PS4.  Look at how detailed the level is in the latter game.

mvrfKRk.gif

Finally got around to watching the Digivent.

That hype boner is ... *phew* really real.

Here's another Ratchet and Clank comparison because I found this GIF and I'm going to use it somewhere, goddammit.  The starting footage is from the original game on the PS2, and the ending footage is from the upcoming game on PS4.  Look at how detailed the level is in the latter game.

mvrfKRk.gif

I agree, the city is too barren and Ratchet's remake is a great example of how a city should look like if you don't want your players to get bored. 

The levels aren't the only things that feel lifeless. Fox's new model also looks kinda dead

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, it looks reminiscent of SF 64's Corneria, only fresher and bigger. I like nostalgia. :lol:

Edited by amcintyr9998
Dat face. Better change it...

GameXplain pointed out quite a few good things about the gameplay that was shown off at E3.  That stealth-based level looks great, but I could just be saying that because it deviates far enough from the 64 formula for my tastes.  I also wish that there was more going on in the backgrounds of each level considering that there's supposed to be a full-on armed conflict occurring - it feels empty.

Edited by OneUnder

Hopefully the final product will have more fleshed out environments - this was a big problem Assault had too. BIG EMPTY SPACES.

• Like 1