Should Nintendo revisit Dinosaur Planet?

ArwingFan

Aside from "lol dinosaurs" there isn't really much point in revisiting Dinosaur Planet. It's an adventure game with the same bread and butter as Legend of Zelda, just with two protagonist characters with different tools. Besides, is that even legally possible? Dinosaur Planet was a Rareware project; even if it was intended for the N64, and got frankensteined into a Star Fox game, doesn't Microsoft own the property?

Patent law is strange.  If Nintendo was able to make Dinosaur Planet into a Star Fox game I'd assume they still have the IP behind the original Dinosaur Planet.  But you'd have to ask a professional.  Just because I work at a law school doesn't mean I know anything extensive about law.

Edited by Arashikage

Nintendo owns the copyright to the Star Fox story and has the distribution rights to the game "Star Fox Adventures." The programming code that made-up Dinosaur Planet (and Star Fox Adventures, BTW) belongs to Rare. Basically, Rare owns Dinosaur Planet, but can't legally publish it since so many elements became part of the Star Fox canon which belongs to Nintendo.

The only way we could see DP come back is if Rare built a new game from the ground up for the XBone (or its successor) without Tricky, Krystal, or any of the established dinosaur characters.

The only way we'd get to play DP is if a ROM dump from before the switch got leaked from Rare. That probably wouldn't happen.

Edited by DZComposer

At the very least, have the planet itself, either as Dinosaur Planet or Sauria, become a playable location in Star Fox Zero, if only as DLC, right?

• 3 months later...