Site layout: Why so narrow?

MKGirlism

I've noticed that on wide screen monitors (which are 16:9), this site looks about right.
However, on my Tablet screen (which is 3:2 in Landscape), the site gets awfully narrow.
And when I put my Tablet in Portrait (2:3), I eventually get the mobile view.

And another thing to mention is, when I have my Tablet in Landscape, a horizontal scroll bar appears, which at first I don't mind, until I use the right arrow key way to often.

Solutions
Fortunately, I know how to solve all of this.
In the file "341e4a57816af3ba440d891ca87450ff_framework.css", change:

.ipsLayout_container{max-width:75%;padding:0 15px;margin:0 auto;position:relative;}

Into:

.ipsLayout_container{max-width:1337px;padding:0 15px;margin:0 auto;position:relative;overflow-x:hidden;}

Never use percentage for Max-Width, it will look bad over time.
This at the same time will fix the scrollbar issue.

Responsive web design might solve the issue.

But as a person who tried making a responsive site I know it's a real pain in the butt. So I'm just going to take my lumps. :p

The thing is, this site already has a responsive web design, so that's not the issue.
However, the issue is that this site doesn't use responsive web design the correct way, and I already figured out how to solve it.

3 hours ago, MKGirlism said:

The thing is, this site already has a responsive web design, so that's not the issue.
However, the issue is that this site doesn't use responsive web design the correct way, and I already figured out how to solve it.

Ah. Well, responsive design is still a pain, so I wouldn't be too hard on the site designer(s). :p

I'm developing and designing Websites in my spare time as well, so I know how hard responsive design can be.
Yes, it's hard when you have no knowledge about it, but it gets easier, as you make more designs like that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MKGirlism said:

I'm developing and designing Websites in my spare time as well, so I know how hard responsive design can be.
Yes, it's hard when you have no knowledge about it, but it gets easier, as you make more designs like that.

I wish I had the amount of patience you do. :p

• 2 months later...

The site does use responsive design, however some parts of the site don't work well with it.

That said, most of the responsive code comes from the forum software itself. I am several version back, will be updating later today. Maybe they have fixed some of that.