• 0
fanfictiondreamer

My Own Streaming

Question

fanfictiondreamer

Ok, so I'm planning on doing some Streaming on Twitch to really get my story out there. I an still trying to figure out how to use the Streaming system that I have downloaded, the OBS. So far, I was able to figure out how to display what's on my computer screen, but I'm still trying to figure out a few other things, such as filter out things that I don't want to be shown, like the chat room. Is there anything else I need to know before I really get started on this? Or are there any other settings that I need to know about in advanced? I think I got the basics down, but I want to make sure. I know how to display my face online but I'm not ready to do that and I won't be for a long time. Feel free to leave any advice or any important Intel regarding this subject whenever you can.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1
Sideways

It sounds like you need to tell OBS to just look at the specific window of what you are looking to stream vs the whole desktop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Dr. Orange

Wait are filters being shown when you don't want them to be or are they not showing when you want them to be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
fanfictiondreamer

Uh...the second one, I think. I'm trying to figure out how to not have the chat room show up on the streaming because it's pointless to have the chat room on the streaming video since everyone can see and type in it. To have the chat room shown on the stream would be like seeing the chat room twice at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Dr. Orange

I'm going to need a pic of an example because I'm lost on what chat you're talking about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
fanfictiondreamer

290359

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Dr. Orange

OH! So that's coming up twice in the stream?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
fanfictiondreamer

It shows on the streaming screen when I test it to see how it looks, so in a way, yes. I don't know how to filter out the chat room from inside the screen of my OBS so that the only chat room the viewers see is on the side of the stream that they can use. Perhaps I should do a tutorial stream to figure out what I should do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Dr. Orange

I'm lost on how you are doing that. Because what it sounds to me is that you're streaming with the twitch window while it is open. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
fanfictiondreamer

I haven't streamed yet. Also, I don't have the twitch window open, I'm viewing the OBS screen. I want to know what my streams would look like from what the viewers would see and I can see the chat room on the screen. I also pull out the pop out chat and I can see that. I don't want the chat room shown on the screen. I should probably do a test stream just to show what it looks like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Dr. Orange

Set your stream up to a twitch and link it here. I'll take a look at it because I think that when you try to see what the stream looks like, it steams the Twitch window. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
fanfictiondreamer

https://www.twitch.tv/fanfictiondreamer

I would not think that this would include being logged into my account. I should be the only one to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Snys93

My question is, will you have a face cam? For me a face cam often detracts from the overall point of a stream whether it's gaming or something else entirely. It's up to you what want to do in the end, but I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

As to you starting your own stream, power to you :) my only advice is be a shining example when compared to other streamers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
fanfictiondreamer

I have no intention of using a face cam. I don't plan on showing my face anytime soon because there are a lot of shady people on the internet and I can't be too careful of them. I attempted to do a stream today and I have made a fool of myself. Thankfully, I have embarrassed myself in front of no one. All the more reason why I don't show my face online. Also, I have managed to learn about how I should do my streaming from embarrassing myself, such as have a plan to say what I want to say without sounding like I have no idea what I'm doing. At least I know the streaming program I have works. As soon as I figure out everything else, I just need to find a way to attract attention in a legitimate manner that probably should not involve advertising on other people's streams. I don't want to go on Masae's chat room and say "Hey, everyone, I'm streaming! Come see me sometime" or something like that because that would be obnoxious. Who would want to view someone who does that? :/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Snys93
3 hours ago, fanfictiondreamer said:

I have no intention of using a face cam. I don't plan on showing my face anytime soon because there are a lot of shady people on the internet and I can't be too careful of them. I attempted to do a stream today and I have made a fool of myself. Thankfully, I have embarrassed myself in front of no one. All the more reason why I don't show my face online. Also, I have managed to learn about how I should do my streaming from embarrassing myself, such as have a plan to say what I want to say without sounding like I have no idea what I'm doing. At least I know the streaming program I have works. As soon as I figure out everything else, I just need to find a way to attract attention in a legitimate manner that probably should not involve advertising on other people's streams. I don't want to go on Masae's chat room and say "Hey, everyone, I'm streaming! Come see me sometime" or something like that because that would be obnoxious. Who would want to view someone who does that? :/

Well we would of course :)

A fellow sister in the SFO faith :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
fanfictiondreamer

I...don't even know how to do that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
fanfictiondreamer

I would need some help with getting people to watch my stream. What would be a not so obnoxious way of doing that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Dr. Orange

Creating original content that is creative and interesting that people would want to come back to again and again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Snys93
7 minutes ago, Dr. Orange said:

Creating original content that is creative and interesting that people would want to come back to again and again.

Yea, many streamers are scrapping the bottom of the barrel, online gaming to lighting their farts on fire. So the sky is the limit when it comes to content.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
fanfictiondreamer

Content? How do I do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Snys93
4 minutes ago, fanfictiondreamer said:

Content? How do I do that?

Well, do you want to stream on your channel? Specifically what is your channel about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
fanfictiondreamer

My channel will be about me talking about my Ultimate Story. I am thinking about jazzing it up with other things relevant to my story such as Youtube videos of the New Sonic the Hedgehog tv shows just to spark the interest of the viewers. I will plan to do other things to grab people's attention by showing pictures. But how do I inform people of this? Do I need to create a video or send messages?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Snys93
14 minutes ago, fanfictiondreamer said:

My channel will be about me talking about my Ultimate Story. I am thinking about jazzing it up with other things relevant to my story such as Youtube videos of the New Sonic the Hedgehog tv shows just to spark the interest of the viewers. I will plan to do other things to grab people's attention by showing pictures. But how do I inform people of this? Do I need to create a video or send messages?

Yes, you want to reach out to a fan base with a common interest. Personally I would start with uploading on YouTube and work from there and if you like you can mix it with maybe a let's play or two or maybe a review, but mainly stay on your main subject matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
fanfictiondreamer

Yeah, I have a Youtube account, but I don't use it because it displays my real name. I may need to use something that uses my username: Fanfictiondreamer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Snys93
34 minutes ago, fanfictiondreamer said:

Yeah, I have a Youtube account, but I don't use it because it displays my real name. I may need to use something that uses my username: Fanfictiondreamer.

You can configure the account to not display your name or maybe make a separate account just for it with a channel name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
fanfictiondreamer

Well, good news: I have created a channel on Youtube with said username. The bad news: I have a lot of things I need to do. First of all, my subscriptions to Chuggaaconroy and Masaeanela did not transfer from my real name and I'm worried that it won't. Second, I don't really know what to do on this channel. If no one knows about my Youtube channel, then I can't advertise anything in it, including when I plan to stream. I still need some help with letting people know when I will stream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now