Yo!

qwert

Heya!

Just joined, been getting into starfox and I have the hang of the easy route. Got a copy of the SNES game in box for £10, Japanese but hey, good deal!

Any tips for getting into the series? Fan of the rail shooting but I've heard they don't do that as much in the newer ones. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • Owner/Technical Admin

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, but as you can tell we're active on Discord more then here. SNES is a good place to start, and a ton of people like the N64 version as well.  Adventures did have some on rail shooting but it was mostly third person adventure. Assault had a mixture of on rail and on foot play. Then there's Zero. Some like it, some hate it. 

Ah sorry, didn't see this. Yeah the SNES game, I like that one but I'm really not the best at it. First route I'll only die a couple times but after that I find myself using my continues after Titania. N64 is a fun time! But a weird pattern I've discovered, every run seems to take me exactly four hours.. I've timed it, too. I do like the game but I find myself getting sidetracted, also struggling to get those medals but eh, just have to learn the levels and use the charge shot more often! And the music isn't as memorable, I prefer the SNES tracks myself.

Assault I'm not the biggest fan on how the Arwing feels to control, just doesn't have the same weight behind it like the first few games, yaknow? Maybe that's just me, lol

Adventures, I've talked about that in the server lol, I've been having fun streaming it but as a Star Fox game I'm not a fan. I do want to see where it takes the story 

I remember when I got a SNES Classic in 2017, I was never good at Star Fox so I only tried it a couple times, but I did eventually unlock SF 2. I remember trying it and being very intimidated, so I didn't play it much :P But having gotten somewhat alright at these type of games, I think it's one of my favourites! The music especially, I find the all range level against Star Wolf a little hard at times but I still have fun with them. Only complaint is that it's hard to aim, but I had a similar problem with the first game until I got a hang of it. Feels like sometimes I can't get a good shot on em, I'll boost for around five seconds, turn around and maybe get three or four shots if I'm lucky but I digress. 

Odd question, what got you in particular into Star Fox? Think it was Fred's "Falco Doesn't Smash" skit myself, didn't actually watch his show for a while lol

Also, how do I get email notifications for a forum post? Is that possible or should I just check often :P

• Owner/Technical Admin

I played Starfox 64 at a friends' house in middle school and really enjoyed it. Then pretty much right when I got out of high school I found SFO and joined.

You should be able to get notifications for specific threads if you want.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

IMO Star Fox 64 is still probably the best way to get introduced to the series. It's a blast to play through to this very day.

I initially became interested in Star Fox after seeing a cousin of mine playing Super Smash Bros Melee for the first time, and being intrigued by the fox character. I thought his design was cool. Soon thereafter I played 64 for the first time, and then followed it up with the rest of the series.

Just recently I've unlocked expert mode on 64, it's a really fun time. It's been a few months so I have checked out most of the games, except for Command and Zero. I think the SNES games are my favourite so far, maybe 64 for different reasons. 

Nice to meet you, by the way (:

• Owner/Technical Admin

I somewhat enjoyed Zero. I have managed to unlock expert mode on 64 but haven't really played through it.

Something I noticed about Zero is that before you zoom out from the cockpit view, it really did feel intuitive. Then you get the two camera angles, and it all falls apart... I'll have to try it sometime, after I finally get past course three on SF SNES.