Does anybody here actually LIKE Assault?

WolfoxOkamichan

I do. It was okay. But the thing that picked me was...

1) It gave Star Wolf, specifically Wolf, character - more than the random grunt stereotype.

2) It introduced Panther. Panther OWNS!

3) It gave Peppy something more than just an "elder member".

What I hated:

The voices all sound like they were recorded in a tin can.

The dialog is very Japanese anime-like. ("My friends......thank you")

Can't change the controls during gameplay

Story was ehhh...

What I liked:

Music is good

Flying missions have nice gameplay

My conclusion:

This game was made because alot of people were pissed off with Starfox Adventure's gameplay. ("This isn't Star Fox!") Assault is a game I love and hate at the same time.  So if I had to give it a final answer I'd say it was very ok.  :ok:

Guest Chiro-Chan

It was okay.

It did have some pretty spiffy music though. I loved the music on Sauria. Some of the voices and characters angered me though. The dialouge could have been better as well.

Guest Whirlpool

I didn't like the story, and a lot of the dialogue was.....not....likable.

But yeah, the music was cool and multi-player is pretty fun.

Hm. I seem to have lost my copy of it. That's not good.

What I hated:

Well, at least there's some recycling done in this world. :ok:

I thought, it was alright. The replay value coulda been much much more if there were selectable routes instead of the same old thing every time....That was boring. Multiplayer could have been alot more engaging if there were like a two-player adventure. But, uh....besides the corny dialouges and tacked-on plot, I did like the graphics and music. Quite the showmanship indeed but I'm a sucker for showmanship.

I hated it.

10 missions =  :P

Crap story =  :cool:

The end was out of place =  :x

Arwings (for me) move to loosely =  :x

No bots in VS mode =  :x

Rushed =  :x

Agree =  :x

STILL no backstory on any of the members of Starwolf =  :x (You would think when bringing in a new character you would have him go into a big long story about his past)

No background story, but they at least expanded more of Wolf, and Panther too in Command.

Liked:

1) Good overall storyline that had a constant flow.

2) Brought back characters from 64 like Pigma and Andrew.

3) The ability on many missions to change between vehicles.

4) Good arwing battles.

5) No Andross! (Come on. It was time to have a new enemy)

6) Good music.

7) Fairly good graphics.

8) I didn't really hear the robotic sound of the character's voices.

9) More developed character personalities.

Dislikes:

1) Bad dubbing from the Japanese version.

2) The characters moved way too fast in Pilot mode.

3) The difficulty of every level was screwy. I expect a curve where levels get progressively harder. Assault was like a wave.

Example:

Level 1: Easy

Level 2: Easy

Level 3: Easy

Level 4: Medium

Level 5: Hard (especially the boss)

Level 6: Medium

Level 7: Easy

Level 8: Medium

Level 9: Hard

Level 10: Very hard

4) Only 10 levels.

5) Very linear game with no alternate paths.

Overall:

I thought it was good.

JIM

Guest Chiro-Chan

Also: This game needed more James-Sama, and Katt and Bill had to be in it.

Multiplayer is fun though. But I hate the ships, and the LandMaster. They're so SLOW.

It was a nice game though, and one of the big goodie points came from the catchy music.

But I liked Adventures much MUCH more. *people look at me funny and scoot away*

:P

Not being an Adventure game

Music

Reintroduces Star Wolf and shows that they lived

Multiplayer

Dislikes:

Horrible Landmaster controls

Horrible third-person controls

Mediocre Graphics

Lame story

Half-decent missions (Our mission here is to break eggs... and so is the next three missions!)

Minigame aka Lame excuse for Replayability

Pointless unlockables other than Wolfen and Lord O'Donnell

Making Lord O'Donnell American. America doesn't have lords... :krystal:

Complete waste of time

Overall Rating: Less-than-decent, but at least it worked... somewhat.

I'll agree, it definitely wasn't SF64, but it wasn't that bad. It was acceptable as a jump from Adventures back into piloting, and the music was the best it's ever been ( :krystal:). There were some missions that were good (Arwing missions) and some that weren't (ground missions excepting Sargasso). I'm just glad they found their footing in Command. :hehe:

I actually really enjoyed this game. A whole lot more than Adventures, anyways. The story wasn't as captivating as it could have been, but I still enjoyed it, nonetheless. The voice-acting I thought was fine, with the exception of Oikonny and Leon; couldn't stand their voices. I still play the Multiplayer with my friends, and every now and then I'll jump into Story Mode and play it.

I still find it to be a fun game, granted that Star Fox 64 will probably always be my favorite game of all time.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Assault was okay, but it definitely needs some improvements.

1.  Longer game.  20 missions is a better number then 10.

2.  They could have improved the script a little bit.  Maybe some *light* cursing.

3.  More balanced multiplayer characters.  Such as toning Wolf's stats down.

I have some other suggestions, but I can't think of them right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what caught my attention was the multiplayer. Not as good as alot of other multiplayer shoot em' ups. Nonetheless, fun to play with a friend or two... or three. The story mode was really nothing special. I thought the gameplay was alright.

Assault...

Wolf's Quote + Peppy's Scene >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ALL

Yeah, that scene where Peppy sacrifices himself to let the rest of the team enter the Aparoid Homeworld is touching.

The game was sure cool in many different aspects indeed!

I mean, I had never before played any StarFox game, or any other Nintendo based game either coming to think of it, with sooooo many dramatic twists as I've seen in the intense storyline of StarFox Assault! :fox:

Even StarFox Adventures, which is the game that captured so much attention, hadn't been this much of thespian type game!

There's also that factor in which the game, despite its easy one-sit-finish as a hardcore gamer, has quite a great replay value too!

It sure does mean a lot! I hardly got this feel ever since StarFox 64! :)

Hey, I'm glad you liked it, though I don't really agree with some of your points.  :fox:

I mean, after you play through those ten missions the first time, the ONLY theoretical reason to play through again is to improve scores.  And for all the people who like variety more than high scores, this game lacks the replay value in that respect.

It was like the combination of Invasion (am not sure of the name of the movie in english its about big bugs), Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 and Starfox.

Invasion: the second mission was like the damn whole movie, mostly because of the part where the bugs were waiting in ambush.

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040: Machines taking over other machines and life forms.

I dont need to say why it is like Starfox.

I would give a 7, even when I like the game.

• 2 weeks later...

it wasn't bad but it dose lack some replay value........no super-hard difficulty like Republic commando or halo, that make you want to hide......

Mplayer is good good for a laugh or 2

i did not like how the arwing handles in all range mode, though......just couldn't get used to it, and turret elavation for the landmaster is a tad clucky to me somtimes, but workible.......

not a bad game though, not bad at all......

• 3 weeks later...

I liked it a lot, but it wasn't as good as Star Fox 64. 64 will always be my favorite but I would say Assault comes in second.