Plotholes

Mr. Krystal

It's time to focus on those hotly debated topics, video game plotholes. This topic's purpose is purely to IDENTIFY plotholes in Star Fox Adventures and Star Fox Assault. Debating the logic behind fan "fixes" to these holes is not allowed. So, for example, do not start a debate about who actually pushed Krystal into the Krazoa beam and why. Only write things like "Who pushed Krystal into the Krazoa beam?" Got it? Great! Now, let's ID those holes. I'm planning on using the results of this topic for an article on the main site, so give each game your very best chronological and logical analyzing skills.

I'll start us off with a few I've come up with and a few from others:

SFAd Plotholes

-----------------

Major Plotholes (defy logical explanation)

At the end of the game, Fox magically regains Krystal's Staff on the Great Fox before Krystal arrives.

A Krazoa tells Fox that "only the pure of heart can enter our shrines." Yet, General Scales is the "boss" in one of the Shrines.

The same Cloudrunner Fox frees on Dragon Rock carried Krystal at the beginning of the game. During the cutscene where the Cloudrunner meets Fox, the Cloudrunner asks, "Hey! Aren't you a friend of Krystal?" Fox responds, "How do you know Krystal?!" However, at this point, Fox shouldn't have known Krystal's name.

Minor Plotholes (not adequately explained or the source of controversy)

Why does Krystal know Saurian? If that's her native language, why does she speak English so well? If English was her native language, why did she cry out in Saurian (via the Krazoa)?

How exactly did Krystal get to Sauria?

Who built all those buildings on Sauria?

Who pushed Krystal into the Krazoa beam? (Yes, there's evidence that it WASN'T Andross.)

Why does the Warpstone speak native English when the rest of the natives speak Saurian?

Loose Ends

What happened to the baby Cloudrunner on Scale's Galleon?

SFAs Plotholes

-----------------

Why isn't Krystal still searching for answers to her parents' deaths/destruction of her planet, since that was her main focus before getting sidetracked on Sauria?

Why hadn't the Star Fox team heard of Apparoids if a single one destroyed a whole Cornerian fleet?

How did Peppy survive the massive explosion of the Great Fox (even in that special pod)?

What about the fact that EVERYBODY survived the massive explosion of the Aparoid Homeworld in Assault to show up in Command?  It's the classic, "Didn't they DIE last time?"

Guest Chiro-Chan

Here's a few more (minor) plot holes in Adventures:

How does Krystal shoot those glowy blue magic thingies when you fight Scales' ship?

How is it that Fox can pass the tests without dying/whatever? He's definately not 'pure of heart' (this may just be a little speculation in my own mind though, so skip over this one if you like)

What happened to Scales anyways? Did he just fall over and die, or what?

Why did Pepper send Fox ALONE and unarmed? That's a bit suspicious if you ask me...

Assault:

How did Panther join Star Wolf?

How did Pigma survive being turned into a giant pig-disc thing, and end up being shot up with plasma?

What happened to the scientists on Fichina? And what about the residents in Corneria?

What happened to the CloudRunners? Were they all killed or something? That didn't make any sense to me...

That's about all I could find. Though I also have a few plotholes from Star Fox 64:

Who blew up the base in Sector x? (I'm thinking it's Katt, but I'm not sure...)

How did the team know Star Wolf (I think Fox said something along the lines of 'Great, just what I needed to see. Star Wolf.)

How did Andross turn into a giant head?

How did he even survive in that state?

And on the subject of Andross, one from Command:

If Dash is Andross' grandson, then that means that Andross had a wife at one point. Who was that, Mother Brain? In fact, his whole family line is a conundrum.

I can answer two of those.

The CloudRunners in Assault.

If you goof around in the Sauria level long enough, the characters will exchange meaningless chit-chat, some about how the tribes were wiped out.

:P What happened to all the airborne dinosuars?

:peppy: The Cloud Tribe is extremly proud, I hate to say it, but...

:slippy: Awwww

The Sector X Base.

When flying around the destroyed base, parts of the robot boss are busting through walls, so I think the robot went on a rampage or something and destroyed the base.

That's kinda what we are trying to avoid, but I guess if it won't cause contriversy, you can provide explainations.

If people contradict what I say, I'm not going to argue. People are entitled to their opinion, so I'm not going to get mad.

If English was her native language, why did she cry out in Saurian (via the Krazoa)?

Well, being Sauria, wouldn't most around her understand the cries of help in Saurian?

What I didn't really get, in Star Fox Adventures, is how the Thorntails lit torches, why they were afraid of the dark, or why that tree caught on fire (or was there something on a sign in front of it that explained it?

Guest Chiro-Chan

Why does the Krazoa that Krystal releases send out a beam instead of sending her to ThornTail Hollow? That never made any sense to me...

Starfox Adventures:How did the Shop keeper in starfox adventures know english,

What ever happened to Scales, How did Sclaes even get the last Krazoa spirit.

There are so many plot holes, so little answers.

• 1 month later...

Found another batch by a friend of mine on the KLA:

Adventures:

How did Krystal learn Fox's name between the Andross explosion and her arrival?

How did Peppy learn Krystal's name between the Andross explosion and Peppy recieving the transmission?

How did Krystal get from her ship docked onthe back of the Great Fox to the bridge in under 5 seconds?

Probably just bad development in my opinion. The game was a last minute conversion to get it out by the gamecube's launch after all.

If Dwight doesn't mind, I have some theories about several of the plotholes so far.  I know he said not to make "fan fixes", so I won't say anything yet!  :(  Matter of fact, I'm including several of these plotholes in my Star Fox story to work out.  I've got one really good one for Andross that I think people will like.  I'm not telling though!  :D

I think I have one.

At the end of Adventures, you may remember that Peppy "almost forgot" to play the message, so he may have received a while beforehand. Also, you can tell that Krystal had been planning on showing up on the Great Fox right as the message ended so as to deliver the end in person. How then, did she know the exact moment in which to show up and deliver the end? Had she planned that they would play it at a certain time? If so, then what would keep her from barging in at some random point to say thanks?

Maybe she just used telepathy to find out when it was being played. :) (Though I don't think that any of that telepathy stuff was established at that point in the series.)

• 2 months later...

Finally posted it!

http://starfox-online.net/features/articles/starfoxplotholes/

I added some and removed some. I used my own biased judgement to decide what was and wasn't a plothole. Please forgive me! :D

Also, if you've thought of some more, especially for SF64 or Command, post 'em here!

Why are the new female characters in Command so much taller than their male counterparts?  They almost look like they're stretched.  (i.e. Lucy and Amanda to Peppy and Slippy)

This might need to be moved over to General Star Fox, since the topic is branching into all the games.

• 3 months later...

Um, I hope I'm not dredging...

But you forgot one of the major ones in Assault...the Wolfen remnants in the Asteroid Belt. What happened to Star Wolf, how do you evacuate in the middle of space, why were they and their Wolfens FINE later...etc, etc. That one bugged me more than any of the other ones.

Um, I hope I'm not dredging...

But you forgot one of the major ones in Assault...the Wolfen remnants in the Asteroid Belt. What happened to Star Wolf, how do you evacuate in the middle of space, why were they and their Wolfens FINE later...etc, etc. That one bugged me more than any of the other ones.

I'll add those too. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Why is there lava on Solar, a star?

Slippy: Male, Female, or Other?

I don't think these two don't count as plotholes.

How do the Anglars gain control of those bees from SF64 or any of Andross's weaponries, and how can they have a "hive-mind"-type thing if they are piloted and sapient?

I recently finished star fox Assault for the second time, and now, i think about this :

Just before Star Fox team :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: enters the aparoid planet, Falco shoots the shield, but it has no effect, then Peppy :evil: comes, destroys the shield...etc

Star fox enters, and we clearly see the shield rebuilding itself.

Now how comes few seconds later, Star Wolf :evil: :evil: :evil: manages to go in the planet with Star Fox, we saw the shield coming back to original and that Arwings laser shots were ineffective. And as far as I know, Wolfens are equal, or at least a little bit stronger than the Arwings, but surely not enough to destroy the shield.

I think because the explosion of the Great Fox opened the shield back up, allowing Star Wolf to slip right in there.

Well alot of characters in any series pop up out of no where with no explanation, so I guess we'll never know I mean thers alot of thigns that dont make sense about starfox.

I have one for Command (only one?! The GAME is a plothole...) but it seems to actually carry over from other games, so...

Krystal says that after Fox defeated Andross, he dedicated his remaining days to Venom. AFTER. So this means Andross didn't die, and whatever floating head Fox killed was some sort of robot/clone or something. But then how did Andross in Adventures come to be, and what happened to him after 64 anyways? Was he captured by Corneria, or did he slip away? WHAT IS GOING ON HERE, ARGH.

• 1 month later...

Here's a few more (minor) plot holes in Adventures:

How does Krystal shoot those glowy blue magic thingies when you fight Scales' ship?

How is it that Fox can pass the tests without dying/whatever? He's definately not 'pure of heart' (this may just be a little speculation in my own mind though, so skip over this one if you like)

What happened to Scales anyways? Did he just fall over and die, or what?

Why did Pepper send Fox ALONE and unarmed? That's a bit suspicious if you ask me...

Assault:

How did Panther join Star Wolf?

How did Pigma survive being turned into a giant pig-disc thing, and end up being shot up with plasma?

What happened to the scientists on Fichina? And what about the residents in Corneria?

What happened to the CloudRunners? Were they all killed or something? That didn't make any sense to me...

That's about all I could find. Though I also have a few plotholes from Star Fox 64:

Who blew up the base in Sector x? (I'm thinking it's Katt, but I'm not sure...)

How did the team know Star Wolf (I think Fox said something along the lines of 'Great, just what I needed to see. Star Wolf.)

How did Andross turn into a giant head?

How did he even survive in that state?

And on the subject of Andross, one from Command:

If Dash is Andross' grandson, then that means that Andross had a wife at one point. Who was that, Mother Brain? In fact, his whole family line is a conundrum.

My comments on the above plotholes...

Adventures:

1.  Maybe Krystal's staff just serves to make magic she already has more potent.  I'm not sure, but it kinda makes sense to me somehow.

2.  On the same note, how did Scales get inside the final shrine for that very same reason.

3.  If he survived that, he was probably killed by the Aparoids.

4.  The rest of his team was in some way out of commission.

Assault:

1.  That's a really good question actually, but apparently he's a good pilot.

2.  Nintendo tends to do that a lot....

3.  The scientists were probably eliminated by either Pigma or the infected sentry bots.  As for the residents of Corneria, they probably either died because of the Aparoids or escaped somewhere.

4.  This one was already answered.

Star Fox 64

1.  This one was already answered.

2.  I'm pretty sure it was a mistake, since Nintendo planned to have Wolf O'Donnell in the cancelled Star Fox 2 (or so I heard).

3.  By getting rid of the rest of his body, duh!  Actually, I don't know.

4.  My best guess would have to be lots of time with the best ER doctors in the universe and months of rehabilitation.

I know nothing about Command, but I'd have to say that it's anyone's guess.