"-because I'm cool." A rant

Sabre

I've had quite a few rants lately I'm thinking of starting a rant thread.

This has to do with people who think they are cool, or rather teenagers trying to act cool.

Being 'cool' or 'hip', or whatever word they use these days, is subjective. I personally think John Carmack is cool if not a little worrying. When I was in school, I used to shake my head and tutt at the various teens trying to act cool because they a group of friends or hung around with the big kids.

Fast forward a decade and now I'm on the other side of the fence after getting back into warhammer and discovering boardgames. I am one of those 'big kids' who has left school and is old enough to drink, smoke and gamble, but haven't got a wife or a full time job or any of that grown up stuff that would make me a square. Now the yound teenage kids run up to me intent on trying to impress me by acting like pillocks so I can give them the nod approval or something.

This maifests itself in one of 2 main ways. One is 4chan, and the other is big kids, 'mature' stuff. The former reached a new peak recently on xbox when a friend I had invited to a game left almost imediatly when he was greeted by a barrage of foul 4chan memes and swears spouted by a teenager who clearly had no idea what the words ment or why people find them offencive. Another guy, again on the internet, typed out of no where "I'm going to roll a splif" followed by a game invite just seconds after I told him I don't play that game online. I can either assume the drugs made him stupid, or he somehow thought that me knowing his addictions would somehow endeer me to him. I wonder if the reply he was expecting was "Normally I don't, but you know what? You're cool. Let's roll." or whatever the kids say these days.

These examples I give were not face to face so are easier to explain through text, but this kind of thing also happens in real life. I never understood it then and I don't understand it now. The strangest part is who it is they are trying to appeal to. It's me. True I'm good looking and fantastic, but I'm a fat geek who spends most of his time at computers and playing board games, sometimes with balding middle aged men, and these kids think I'm cool? I guess it's hope for the future, but I think it's just weird.

To the older member here, you ever get this? and to the younger members, don't try and impress us, it makes you look stupid.

Just because one has a full time job or a kid or something doesn't make them a square, you know!  :wink:

I think one of the more maddening things when you get older though are the people who AREN'T teenagers, yet are still acting like the teenagers trying to be cool. At least teenagers kind of have the excuse, in that they're still teenagers and that's the norm of that age.

I for one, have always just do how i do and screw whatever anyone else thinks, whether it makes the cool kids think I'm a geek, or the geeks think I don't fit into their own heirarchy, it all just comes down to how you treat people in general that matters most.

Guest Para Astaroth

This reminds me of the times I played Halo 3, Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, and Call of Duty; all of which had kids as old as four to ten acting like they knew what they were doing and would explode on anyone (Meaning they would start yelling) who didn't do things their way.

Ahhh, the memories.... :lol:

Just because one has a full time job or a kid or something doesn't make them a square, you know!  :wink:

I was talking about from the eyes of a teen. Even so, yes it does. :P

This reminds me of the times I played Halo 3, Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, and Call of Duty; all of which had kids as old as four to ten acting like they knew what they were doing and would explode on anyone (Meaning they would start yelling) who didn't do things their way.

It would be great if they litterally exploded on you. I'd have a suit made of laminate if that was the case.

Guest Para Astaroth

It would be great if they litterally exploded on you. I'd have a suit made of laminate if that was the case.

Yes, I agree.  If there were something to 'protect' you from kiddie explosions, then I, myself, would use a suit made of laminate

To the younger members, don't try and impress us, it makes you look stupid.

Words fail to explain how many freaking times I get this on Youtube and other forums.  Then again, I would think I'm pretty new here...so disregard my comment as irrelevant and contradicting...

Then again, I have a rant on every clique in school, geeks, emos, 'cool-stuck-up-snobs' and what not, but that's my own rant that I shall leave you untroubled with...

Edit:  Oh, yeah, don't forget about the wanna-be 10 year old gangsters that infect Combat Arms and Halo, the god d**m F***ots get me pissed...

Guest Julius Quasar

Being cool means, being yourself, unique, but not being egotistical or obsessive about it, or even caring if you're "cool"...you don't follow trends, or do what others tell you to do...and generally not caring what others think of you...

it's marching to your own beat, making your own path in life, swallow your pride, thinking of others above yourself, being good/nice/helpful to others and being sincere, being patient, in control of yourself and your emotions, honest...and above all, being yourself that makes you cool, IMO

Admitting you are NOT perfect, you are NOT God or God's gift to the world, and that you are not the center of any Universe, and that no sun, star, or planet revolves around you, and that everyone is different and ought to be, without being persecuted for it is also a HUGE cornerstone of being cool, I believe

also, you should run your life, your life should never run you,

you should own your home/car/things, and they should NEVER own you.

Popularity, trendiness, beauty, wealth, power, connections, etc. are NOT what makes someone cool.

^^^ Ditto.

Being cool means, being yourself, unique, but not being egotistical or obsessive about it, or even caring if you're "cool"...you don't follow trends, or do what others tell you to do...and generally not caring what others think of you...

Cool, as many other words, is a changeable one...

Cool, to me, is like a childish word, like 'Oh, new toy?  Cool!"

It's not an adjective or a describer to me.

The only time I ever use the word cool is if I'm being sarcastic or generally don't give a s***...

"Dude, you totally screwed that up..."

"Oh, cool..."

Guest Julius Quasar

Cool, as many other words, is a changeable one...

Cool, to me, is like a childish word, like 'Oh, new toy?  Cool!"

It's not an adjective or a describer to me.

The only time I ever use the word cool is if I'm being sarcastic or generally don't give a s***...

"Dude, you totally screwed that up..."

"Oh, cool..."

interesting way of looking at it, yeah...

it's marching to your own beat, making your own path in life, swallow your pride, thinking of others above yourself, being good/nice/helpful to others and being sincere, being patient, in control of yourself and your emotions, honest...and above all, being yourself that makes you cool, IMO

Admitting you are NOT perfect, you are NOT God or God's gift to the world, and that you are not the center of any Universe, and that no sun, star, or planet revolves around you, and that everyone is different and ought to be, without being persecuted for it is also a HUGE cornerstone of being cool, I believe

also, you should run your life, your life should never run you,

you should own your home/car/things, and they should NEVER own you.

Popularity, trendiness, beauty, wealth, power, connections, etc. are NOT what makes someone cool.

"Its not who I am underneath...but what I do that defines me."

If that description is correct, then I've got to be one of the coolest guys in excistence. O_o

Generaly, I don't consider myself "cool", and I have no desire to be it either.

Guest Julius Quasar

"Its not who I am underneath...but what I do that defines me."

If that description is correct, then I've got to be one of the coolest guys in excistence. O_o

Generaly, I don't consider myself "cool", and I have no desire to be it either.

yeah, that's a good example

• 3 weeks later...

I've been "Watching" the cool kids at work and school...

It's kinda funny, cause they are all,"Oh, you are so funny," to someone, and then you listen to them somewhere else, and they are all, "Oh yeah i hate that kid so much, he's such a ............," yet their talking about the same person they just said was funny. Apparently, some of them enjoy making their brains bleed.