How to survive a car crash.

Asper Sarnoff

The title pretty much explains it. I've crashed my dads car. Simple as that.

I were on my way home from school when I passed by a spot I knew often had a very slippery shet of ice on top of the road. Naturally, I lowered my speed, but not enough it seems.

Came out of a turn when the backend came out, I imediatly corrected it, but then it came out on the other side. It's a pickup, so it's light in the back you know.

I crashed straight into the ditch on the right side of the road. I imediatly came to a hault as it was a steep uphill on the other side, I estimate the speed to about 30 mph when I hit the other side, and it was definatively not a pleasant experience.

I suffered only minor cuts and bruises myself, and I got out after a only a couple of seconds. Grabbed the warning triangle from the back wich I ran and set up so nobody else would come and crash into the wreck.

I got hold of a tow truck, and got the car out of the ditch and on its way. Got a hike home by one of those who had turned up at the scene of the accident.

My parents are on their way home as I write in this. I have allready phoned and told them, but its still not something I'm looking foreward to.

The car is in pretty bad shape. I didn't take a really close look at it, but I'd say it will never get on the road again.

I will come back and write more later, now please excuse me.

Asper

I wouldn't worry too much about it. :) More than likely, (unless your parents are total a-holes) they'll  be more worried about you, making sure YOU aren't hurt.

Just file a claim with your insurance and see what they'll pay for (they also make the final decision to total the car, if necessary), and what you have to pay for, and as long as there isn't transmission damage, it wont be too bad. :)

Cheer up! :3 I've been in two accidents, and only have had to had one car totaled, and that's only because some moron ran a red light and hit me at 45 mph (or more, she obviously lied about a few things to try to shift the blame on me because I'm a teenager) . Cars are very resilient.

Guest Julius Quasar

I've damaged my dad's car, too, I backed it into a tree once, when I was learning how to drive XD

I'm glad you're okay, though, damn....

My cousin Brad was on his way home from work a couple of weeks ago, these 2 morons to the rear left and directly to the rear of him got into an accident, the guy directly behind Brad changed lanes without looking, swerved into the left lane, hitting the guy to Brad's rear left, and the guy on Brad's left who got hit swung into Brad, and slammed into his left rear of the car, making him spin out in a "PIT Maneuver", from the way that guy ran into Brad...

Brad unfortunately turned AGAINST the spin, instead of with it, and caromed across the highway, hit the center barrier, and flipped upside down into oncoming traffic.  THANK GOD he was in a Jeep Liberty, 'cause the roof didn't collapse, and the safety belt held him in place, 'cause otherwise, he'd be dead.

The paramedics thought he WAS dead, but they heard him yelling "Hey, get me out of here!" and they did.  He was upside down, and could see the lights of the oncoming traffic, he was in the wrong lanes (as I said, he crashed and flipped OVER the dividing barrier between highway lanes).  He was afraid someone would run into him, but luckily they swerved away from him.

He survived with minor cuts and scratches, he is NOT in any way at fault for the accident, and he has no car now, but he's gonna sue the other 2 drivers. 8D

Brad should've turned INTO the spin, not against it, 'cause if he had turned into it, he would've simply donut spun and been all right, not crash/flip over.

Wow, that sucks, good thing you didn't suffer whiplash.

I have never been in an "accident" per say, but I have caused damage to a vehicle. Back before my dad sold our truck, I backed into someone else's car coming out of my garage. I tore the metal in their wheel well, but I didn't do anything to the truck. I felt bad about it then, seeing how it was my brother's ex-fiance's car, but seeing how she cheated on him now, I can't help but grin at what I did.

Second time I was pulling into my garage real late at night, I was coming in at an odd angle, so I THOUGHT I had put it in reverse, I was actually in drive. The gas pedal used to stick so I had to force down on it to get it to move, I lurch forward toward my mom's car. I veer left to avoid it, and I end up smashing the drivers side of the truck into the garage frame, putting a massive dent in the extended cab door, and scraping the heck out of the paintjob.

But I don't think you can count those as accidents. Anyway, I hope things work out for you.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. :) More than likely, (unless your parents are total a-holes) they'll  be more worried about you, making sure YOU aren't hurt.

Just file a claim with your insurance and see what they'll pay for (they also make the final decision to total the car, if necessary), and what you have to pay for, and as long as there isn't transmission damage, it wont be too bad. :)

Cheer up! :3 I've been in two accidents, and only have had to had one car totaled, and that's only because some moron ran a red light and hit me at 45 mph (or more, she obviously lied about a few things to try to shift the blame on me because I'm a teenager) . Cars are very resilient.

yeah besides bigger cars like trucks are better at taking damage than you think(why I prefure to drive a mini-van over a small car)I wouldn't worry too much about it. :) More than likely, (unless your parents are total a-holes) they'll  be more worried about you, making sure YOU aren't hurt. as said by sissi the car is replacable your not. (plus you probably cost alot more anyway if you were born at the hospital I know I'm worth alot because of my cancer treatment and all. The funny thing about the van i drive now is I've put the first and last dent into it the first dent i put into it with a powerwheels truck and the last in a small accident.

Good to hear you're okay. Sh!t like this will happen, but it sounds like it could have been much worse. Here's hoping that the Insurance companies do their job.

I've been down on my motorbike a couple of times, but thankfully, I wasn't hurt too badly and neither was my bike.

I was like 6 when I experienced a triple roll over because some idiot on a side road decided to park the front of their car on the shoulder of the road. We took out the stop sign at the intersection, and rolled into the ditch. I suffered only a cut on the head, my sister, mom, and unborn brother inside my mother all escaped unscathed.

But, my dad got thrown from the vehicle, and had to undergo surgery. He stayed in the hospital for a few weeks, until he was healed.

Okay, time for a situation update.

I didn't expect my parents to be really mad at me, but their reaction kind of threw me of a bit.

After having confirmed I was okay, they just said that if I had learned from it, and hopefully had enough brains in my head to avoid any further crashes, then it was all worth it.

We then sat down and started talking about it. How they hoped I now would now adjust my driving speed more to the conditions, how themselves had crashed in their youth.

It was the same way with all the people who turned up at the accident site. It's a small town, so even if I didn't know all of them, they definatively knew of me. When we were standing and waiting for the towtruck they told me about how they had done exactly the same thing, the one who gave me a hike back home had crashed at almost the excact same spot as me.

The best reaction however, was when my mum called my grandmother, on her side.

After she had confirmed I was okay, she responded with a hearty laugher. And she keept on chuckling all the way trough the call.

And now, the day after, it's almost as it's been forgotten. My neck is really stiff tough, so I've placed one of those vibrating massage pillows around it, so my head is now dancing merry dances on top of my shoulders.

Luckily, the whole incident will be covered by our insurance, and that is good, cause the car seems to be beyond repair. It has became about a foot shorter than before.

My dad have stated tough that he will need another car, preferably something similar, and that I would be the one to find it. So I spent a few hours the evening yesterday looking trough car advertisements, and found a couple of alternatives.

I were lucky that I were driving my dads Toyota Hilux(Tacome in the US) instead of my mothers van, as that one doesn't have neither airbags or the engine in front of you, even better I wasn't driving the Corvette, wich even tough has a LOOONG hood, is a very old car after all.

Even tough the Hilux is recognised as one of the worlds toughest cars, it have a very stiff seperate frame, so it doesn't collapse and take the beating for you like a more modern, normal car would have.

This model is one of the favorites used by rebellious groups and terrorist organisations over the world. American soldiers have told they once fired a RPG built to disable a tank at one of these filled with terrorists in Iraq, it blew of the pickup bed and killed the passengers, but the driver still ecaped in it, as it was still perfectly driveable.

Other testaments to its strenght:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZDtC9kjVk

They failed to destroy it, but I didn't. :hehe:

One last thing tough. I always use my seatbelts when I'm in a car, and the driver of the towtruck told my parents that if I hadn't, like all to many on my age don't, then I could have been dead now, or horribly wounded.

So I want to say out to you, don't even think about driving without a seatbelt. Your life is one of the most valubeable things you've got, take care of it.

Wear your seatbelt I heard some cop say to some lad "your lucky you din't have your seat belt on" the one guy on the video say he'd like to sllap that cop upside the head.

Guest Julius Quasar

I'm glad you're okay, Asper, and that your parents were cool about that...if I ever made a mistake like that, my parents would make me pay for it the rest of my life, I'd never heard the ****ing end of it.

I'm glad you're okay, Asper, and that your parents were cool about that...if I ever made a mistake like that, my parents would make me pay for it the rest of my life, I'd never heard the ****ing end of it.

Thanks, I'm very lucky with having a family like I have. I honestly couldn't be luckier that way.

I bet they aren't going to let me forget it either, but that wouldn't be nagging.

They're going to tease me on how bad a driver I am for the rest of my life. :lol:

I were lucky that I were driving my dads Toyota Hilux

I read that and knew it would drave again, even with no wheels. :D

My brother totaled a few cars in his time, and blew up some contruction equipment. As far as I know the worst he got was a bad knee and some police hastle when the guy that crashed into my brother tried to claim that he (the man who crashed into my brother) was driving a different, much more expencive car to what he acctually driving.

I read that and knew it would drave again, even with no wheels. :D

It is probably still perfectly driveable, it's just that the frame is probably so bent that it will constantly veer to one side.

Everything behind the A-pillars (frame of the windscreen) looks perfectly fine. The doorframes are exactly as before, no problem opening the door even.

It is probably still perfectly driveable, it's just that the frame is probably so bent that it will constantly veer to one side.

Everything behind the A-pillars (frame of the windscreen) looks perfectly fine. The doorframes are exactly as before, no problem opening the door even.

My caravan constantly wants to go a bit to the right it's something easily adjustable in your driving habits.(although I honestly drive a bit to the right in my lane)

My caravan constantly wants to go a bit to the right it's something easily adjustable in your driving habits.(although I honestly drive a bit to the right in my lane)

I think there is a difference. :lol: One side is about a foot shorter than the other.

I'll see if I can take a picture of the car and the site of the accident and get it up.

Guest Julius Quasar

you might need to have that looked at, although maybe you just need to check the tires and have them inflated, balanced, and rotated.  have your steering system checked out as well.

I could imagine having Peppy as a passenger when I crashed...

"It is quiet... Too quiet." *Backend starts sliding out.* "Use the brakes! Try a sommersault! Try a U-turn! DO A BARREL ROLL!!!" CRASH!!!

Here are some pictures of the car after the wreck.

http://asper-sarnoff.deviantart.com/art/How-to-kill-a-Toyota-Hilux-1-145376455

http://asper-sarnoff.deviantart.com/art/How-to-kill-a-Toyota-Hilux-2-145376553

Guest Julius Quasar

"It is quiet... Too quiet." *Backend starts sliding out.* "Use the brakes! Try a sommersault! Try a U-turn! DO A BARREL ROLL!!!" CRASH!!!

that ain't so bad, I've seen worse wrecks out in Cali....I even seen dead bodies from car wrecks.

*plays the song "Stand By Me" by Ben E. King*

Remember it has a very, very stiff frame. So it doesn't deform as much as most other cars.

On the pic where you see it from the side, you can spot the frame has been bent. A whopping great iron girder like that doesn't bend by itself.

*whistles* You really smashed the heck out of the side of that thing didn't you? That sucks.

*whistles* You really smashed the heck out of the side of that thing didn't you? That sucks.

I did I did.

I and my parents found a suitable replacement earlier today. A 2002 Mitsubishi L200 in great condition and at the right price. The dealership is going to go over it and give it a last service before we can officially buy it sometime next week.

A silver lining, perhaps?

good to hear that your parents didn't take things the wrong way, at least. I know some who wouldn't buy a new vehilcle, simply out of spite.

You call THAT a dreadful crash? I've seen worse crashes on the Garden State Parkway, I-95 and Route 9. I saw a car completely flipped over outside a McDonald's one time and a bus on fire another time. The Mickey-D's rollover incident had several bystanders, police and Ambulances watching as the driver was trapped in his car.