XNA?

ThePointingMan

I don't really know what it is, I've heard repeatedly that I should get it, but whats it do?

It's basicly C# for games

The big thing (to some people) about XNA is that, if you a game with it you can put it on Xbox.

Also a funny bit of trical. XNA stands for

XNA is Not an Acronym.

It's basicly C# for games

The big thing (to some people) about XNA is that, if you a game with it you can put it on Xbox.

XNA is Not an Acronym.

Haha. That is contradictory.

XNA is Not an Acronym.

*sigh* What DOESN'T Microsoft copy?

Recursive Acronyms have been a staple of the Open Source community for a long time:

GNU - GNU's Not UNIX

WINE - WINE Is Not an Emulator

PHP - PHP Hypertext Processor

BTW, two of these are responsible for you seeing SFO: The server runs Linux, which is backed by the GNU toolset (I hate the term GNU/Linux), and SMF and Wordpress are written in PHP.

How dare MS spoil it with their proprietary ways...

*sigh* What DOESN'T Microsoft copy?

Recursive Acronyms have been a staple of the Open Source community for a long time:

GNU - GNU's Not UNIX

WINE - WINE Is Not an Emulator

PHP - PHP Hypertext Processor

BTW, two of these are responsible for you seeing SFO: The server runs Linux, which is backed by the GNU toolset (I hate the term GNU/Linux), and SMF and Wordpress are written in PHP.

How dare MS spoil it with their proprietary ways...

I don't get that way of thinking. It's a bit like when people say Gears of War ripped off KillSwitch. Yes, kill switch was first, but it was far from the best. Alone in the Dark was the first proper horror game, (for the sake of this argument) but was it any good? No. Horror didn't work in games until resident evil. Being first doesn't mean it's best, and indie roots shouldn't exclude the big corperates. Good ideas stick around for a good reason. They are good.

I don't get that way of thinking. It's a bit like when people say Gears of War ripped off KillSwitch. Yes, kill switch was first, but it was far from the best. Alone in the Dark was the first proper horror game, (for the sake of this argument) but was it any good? No. Horror didn't work in games until resident evil. Being first doesn't mean it's best, and indie roots shouldn't exclude the big corperates. Good ideas stick around for a good reason. They are good.

Despite my usual distain for Microsoft's business practices, I have to agree with Sabre. Recursive acronyms are a long-standing tradition in the programming world, used by lots of different people/companies. I don't see why Microsoft should be different in this regard.