PC Upgrades

Sabre

I just upgraded my PC with a swanky new graphics card ready for Supreme Commander 2. Tried it out on the demo. 60fps on the highest settings. Lovely. It's a GTS 250. I had a bit of an issue installing it as I forgot to plug in the power lead.

Also Crysis is now playable at an acceptable level for the first time on my PC.

My one concern was how quick it heated up, but I've had it running a few hours now and all is well. If I didn't have to save up for a convention I'm going to, then I would think about getting a new mouse with more buttons on it.

I just upgraded my PC with a swanky new graphics card ready for Supreme Commander 2. Tried it out on the demo. 60fps on the highest settings. Lovely. It's a GTS 250. I had a bit of an issue installing it as I forgot to plug in the power lead.

Also Crysis is now playable at an acceptable level for the first time on my PC.

My one concern was how quick it heated up, but I've had it running a few hours now and all is well. If I didn't have to save up for a convention I'm going to, then I would think about getting a new mouse with more buttons on it.

Best PC upgrade, Gentoo.

get me one my best computer just got it's mother board fried or something k_e_cry.gif

donno came down this morning and a red light was on near the mother board and it's beeping.....

donno came down this morning and a red light was on near the mother board and it's beeping.....

That might not mean the motherboard is fried, maybe something came unplugged?

if it did I can't find it i just hope it did come unplugged.

That's your motherboard telling you somethings wrong. the paturn of the beeps, or flashes in this case, tells you whats wrong. Google it.

Guest Julius Quasar

get me one my best computer just got it's mother board fried or something k_e_cry.gif

sorry to hear that, Kursed.

uh oh...

That might not mean the motherboard is fried, maybe something came unplugged?

I hope that's all it is.

if it did I can't find it i just hope it did come unplugged.

agreed.

My PC needs upgrading in the worst way. *turns the crank handle on the side of my CPU*

Modern high-end GPUs get hot. It's the nature of things. The more transistors you pack into a small space, the hotter that space gets. Make sure your machine's cooling system is up to the task. Remember, Air in the front, and out the back. Larger fans move more air.

Best PC upgrade, Gentoo.

1. That's entirely subjective, especially since game developers are not releasing games for Linux, and he makes it clear that he uses this machine as a gaming machine.

2. That's close to spam, as he wasn't asking about Linux, he was talking about hardware. I could put Linux onto an old i386 machine, but it would still be an 386 piece of crap.

I'm no fan of Microsoft, but Windows does have it's place, and Linux isn't the answer to everything.

Modern high-end GPUs get hot. It's the nature of things. The more transistors you pack into a small space, the hotter that space gets. Make sure your machine's cooling system is up to the task. Remember, Air in the front, and out the back. Larger fans move more air.

1. That's entirely subjective, especially since game developers are not releasing games for Linux, and he makes it clear that he uses this machine as a gaming machine.

2. That's close to spam, as he wasn't asking about Linux, he was talking about hardware. I could put Linux onto an old i386 machine, but it would still be an 386 piece of crap.

I'm no fan of Microsoft, but Windows does have it's place, and Linux isn't the answer to everything.

What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

:P

What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

:P

Even if that souds mostly like a copy paste, it really doesn't fit in the debate DZ threw, but regardless, DZ is right, linux is not the answer for everything, and it's a hell for gamers, period. Also, most people refer to linux as a whole, it would be bothersome to go "well, I believe Ubuntu, Fedora, Centos, etc", so they just say "Linux", and besides, this isn't a topic to talk about OS, which fits on DZ's second point.

i dont really have a problem with overheating on my gpu.  I have a fairly high end one< but my full tower case has so many fans that pretty much nothing could overheat if it tried  :)

Since I have a laptop, my only hope for an upgrade is for the XG Station to come out.

I bought a new ASUS G51VX a few weeks ago, and I absolutely love it.  It's light years ahead of my old Dell Inspiron.

Specs.png

I bought a new ASUS G51VX a few weeks ago, and I absolutely love it.  It's light years ahead of my old Dell Inspiron.

Specs.png

Wow. That's fairly close to what I have (although you should always name your PC)

DX11? Are there any games that use that?

Spoken like a true RMS zealot.

Firstly, yes, I know Linux is the kernel and that a kernel is not a complete OS.

That said, I hate the term GNU/Linux.

Yes, the GNU tools are an important component of a Linux OS, but they are just the toolset. If'm I'm running a LAMP box with an Xorg GUI and KDE, should I call my system a GNU/Xorg/KDE/Apache/PHP/MySQL/Linux system? No, that absurd.

If you want to use that term, fine. But don't lecture me about the GNU and tell me that I need to use that term.

The GNU project is a more upper-level thing that can run on many kernels, thus calling Fedora/SuSE/Gentoo/insertdistrohere Linux systems is correct.

If I built a BSD kernel system with the GNU tools, I'd still call it a BSD system.

I think that RMS is just butthurt that Open Source didn't take off until Linus Torvalds came along.

Guest FoXXX

Spoken like a true RMS zealot.

Firstly, yes, I know Linux is the kernel and that a kernel is not a complete OS.

That said, I hate the term GNU/Linux.

Yes, the GNU tools are an important component of a Linux OS, but they are just the toolset. If'm I'm running a LAMP box with an Xorg GUI and KDE, should I call my system a GNU/Xorg/KDE/Apache/PHP/MySQL/Linux system? No, that absurd.

If you want to use that term, fine. But don't lecture me about the GNU and tell me that I need to use that term.

The GNU project is a more upper-level thing that can run on many kernels, thus calling Fedora/SuSE/Gentoo/insertdistrohere Linux systems is correct.

If I built a BSD kernel system with the GNU tools, I'd still call it a BSD system.

I think that RMS is just butthurt that Open Source didn't take off until Linus Torvalds came along.

I'm just joking man, sorry :(

Wow. That's fairly close to what I have (although you should always name your PC)

DX11? Are there any games that use that?

Oh, it has a name, I just opted to edit that out of the picture. :P

And about DX11, I'm not sure.

hey it maybe can be the RAM usually the PC's do that when the RAM is dead or dirty,if the motherboard were fried, i think your PC would not do that beep, so don't worry maybe is not that, and i can't exactly tell you what it have, because it have to be examined, the better thing i can do for you kursed, is tell you that take it to a technician.