Interesting Silver Fox domestication experiment

Mr. Foxer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRQbSdMXBk0&

Direct : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRQbSdMXBk0&

Opinions on this? I don't really like the idea of domestic foxes, especially if they would start to look like dogs, we don't need a new kind of pet anyway. Also, why is the woman in the video so shocked that the fox bit her? What does she expect after locking them inside those cages?

I didn't post this in the video thread because I think it is a very interesting experiment that should be discussed.

Opinions on this? I don't really like the idea of domestic foxes, especially if they would start to look like dogs, we don't need a new kind of pet anyway. Also, why is the woman in the video so shocked that the fox bit her? What does she expect after locking them inside those cages?

Agreed. Trying to domisticate wild animals because one thinks they're cuter or cooler than a domesticated dog or cat is selfish and stupid. They're wild animals after all, they don't want to be cuddled or locked in cages.

They didn't do this just to make cute pets. It was done for two reasons:

1. Fur farms. They were originally intended to have their pelts harvested. Sad, but true.The USSR was interesting in farming fur animals. Domesticates species are easier to keep.

2. Scientific research. There was also interest in what happens to a species as it is domesticated. We know that domestication can cause major genetic changes, but not as much is known about how or why these changes happen. If you notice, those foxes look more dog-like then their wild counterparts.

The selling of them as pets is done to financially support the program, as after the collapse of the USSR, the Russian government decided it had better things to spend money on.

Agreed. Trying to domisticate wild animals because one thinks they're cuter or cooler than a domesticated dog or cat is selfish and stupid. They're wild animals after all, they don't want to be cuddled or locked in cages.

All domestic animals came from a wild species.

For example:

The wolf has been domesticated for thousands of years. We call domestic wolves "Dogs." (the scientific name of the domestic dog is Canis Lupus Familiaris)

1. Fur farms. They were originally intended to have their pelts harvested. Sad, but true.The USSR was interesting in farming fur animals. Domesticates species are easier to keep.

Not only the USSR. My closest neighbour used untill only a few years ago to be a fur farm. Thousands of foxes screaming in tiny cages during their whole, short, miserable life. Some of them were domesticated as well.

All domestic animals came from a wild species.

For example:

The wolf has been domesticated for thousands of years. We call domestic wolves "Dogs." (the scientific name of the domestic dog is Canis Lupus Familiaris)

If someone ought to know that, it's me. My point is that we can't "undomesticate" what we have allready tamed. Most ordinary dogs would die if released into the wilds, at least here they would, and expected to live as their ancestors.

Besides, dogs are more social creatures than foxes. Wolfs live in packs, foxes don't.

Most wild cat aren't very social animals either in fact. But then, I don't like cats as pets either.

those poor things look miserable at least give them a large area to play in instead of a tiny cage HOw do you feel when your locked in prision!. some people....i donnno if having a fox for a pet is a good idea anyway i've heard their harder to keep than a dog.

I will agree that humans are more important than animals but there is a certain degree where it's actually considered animal cruelty.

and domesticating fox's just so you can slaughter them doesn't seem like a very good idea to me... they don't yeild any meat or anything and seriously who wants to wear fur I don't I'd rather have my own fur but that's for another topic.

Guest Julius Quasar

Agreed, the last thing we need is for a potential "Puppy Mill" situation regarding Foxes.  Too many stupid [American] Humans, treating live Foxes like toys, and discarding, neglecting, or abusing them when they get bored with them....and that stupid bitch deserved to get bitten, I hope the bite gets severely infected.

They didn't do this just to make cute pets. It was done for two reasons:

Not only the USSR. My closest neighbour used untill only a few years ago to be a fur farm. Thousands of foxes screaming in tiny cages during their whole, short, miserable life.

That is MONSTROUS!

Those stupid a**holes, doing that to Foxes, they should be charged with a War Crime, locked up in the Hague, tried before the Geneva Convention and then executed.

If I could get away with it, I'd lock humans in tiny cages, and then torture them, and then skin them ALIVE and make a coat or chair covering from their skin, I'd to that to 1,000 humans, for every 1 Fox who had suffered through that.

I will agree that humans are more important than animals but there is a certain degree where it's actually considered animal cruelty.

NO!  Humans are NOT more important than animals!  Heresy!  Burn Kursed at the stake! (j/k) :P

But I think Animals are more important than humans, especially the Fox.  They were here before mankind, they are better than mankind, and last time I checked, you didn't see Foxes dumping toxic waste all over the planet.  I think humans are a virus, on this planet.  Why?  They do not adapt to their environment.  No, no...they alter, or even destroy it.  To me, that's the M. O. of a virus....one that needs a much needed cleansing from this planet. :wink:

I like Foxes A LOT, much better than humans, so forgive me for my rant here...I'm not a member of PITA (they do more harm than good), I'm not an eco-terrorist.  I just like foxes a lot.  I don't like to see them suffer.

Guest FoXXX

Agreed, the last thing we need is for a potential "Puppy Mill" situation regarding Foxes.  Too many stupid [American] Humans, treating live Foxes like toys, and discarding, neglecting, or abusing them when they get bored with them....and that stupid bitch deserved to get bitten, I hope the bite gets severely infected.

That is MONSTROUS!

Those stupid a**holes, doing that to Foxes, they should be charged with a War Crime, locked up in the Hague, tried before the Geneva Convention and then executed.

If I could get away with it, I'd lock humans in tiny cages, and then torture them, and then skin them ALIVE and make a coat or chair covering from their skin, I'd to that to 1,000 humans, for every 1 Fox who had suffered through that.

NO!  Humans are NOT more important than animals!  Heresy!  Burn Kursed at the stake! (j/k) :P

But I think Animals are more important than humans, especially the Fox.  They were here before mankind, they are better than mankind, and last time I checked, you didn't see Foxes dumping toxic waste all over the planet.  I think humans are a virus, on this planet.  Why?  They do not adapt to their environment.  No, no...they alter, or even destroy it.  To me, that's the M. O. of a virus....one that needs a much needed cleansing from this planet. :wink:

I like Foxes A LOT, much better than humans, so forgive me for my rant here...I'm not a member of PITA (they do more harm than good), I'm not an eco-terrorist.  I just like foxes a lot.  I don't like to see them suffer.

^This :(

The Fox's are lucky compared to chickens... Chickens get a cage the size of a chicken, only with 2 chickens stuffed in it, where they peck each others eyes out. Anyways, I mean, I dunno, I totally disagree with the caging of the Fox's, but the domestication, I dunno what to say about that.

This whole thing is utter blasphemy! I can't believe anyone thought this was EVER a good idea!!  :evil:

Blasphemy is irreverence  toward holy personages, religious artifacts, customs, and beliefs. I guess you could say that, I was gonna say that doesn't make sense, and then I thought about it, yeah, that word can be used.

Blasphemy is irreverence  toward holy personages, religious artifacts, customs, and beliefs. I guess you could say that, I was gonna say that doesn't make sense, and then I thought about it, yeah, that word can be used.

Thanks, I was intending to use this definition, courtesy of dictionary.com

"irreverent behavior toward anything held sacred, priceless, etc"

So many cruel people in this pathetic world :x

I agree with you! That is, except for everyone here at Starfox-Online! lol  :D

Guest Julius Quasar

Don't start bashing America, the facility is in Siberia and those are Russian scientists.

I know that, Mr Foxer,  :facepalm:

I was only using America as an example to the ramifications of what would happen if successful pet fox domestication was fully completed by ANYONE, but what I'm saying is, "if the experiment is successful, then throwaway societies like America's, and other societies like it, will then treat the pet Foxes as 'toys, novelties', where they'll probably over breed them in puppy mills, and/or buy them/adopt them as [birthday] presents, but then abuse, neglect, or abandon them when they get bored with them" (adding a word bordered by [ ] brackets is using that word in the brackets as an example, added usually by afterthought).

It's bad enough when pet dogs or cats suffer mistreatment by the hands of human masters/owners, humanity be [further] damned if  that happens to the foxes.

and domesticating fox's just so you can slaughter them doesn't seem like a very good idea to me... they don't yeild any meat or anything and seriously who wants to wear fur I don't I'd rather have my own fur but that's for another topic.

Personally, I believe that all (exept for parasitic ones) living beings are equal, regardless of how they are considered. Call me crazy/mad, but I think that I would shoot a human in self-defense; but never an animal. Before doing that, I prefer to be eaten alive by said animal.

People who wear real fur are just plain evil, because they are (supporting the) murdering innocent animals for people´s vanity.

And if you want to have your own fur, well, that´s for another topic, but right I am a supporter of [controlled and voluntary, non-harmful] genetics.

Did you read my article "Virus"? ... Oh, forgot it was in spanish and locked up in my desk.

Anyway, it is about people, because if you think about it, the human does behave like a virus indeed. It alters an evironment (much like a virus alters a cell) so it can multiply in[-side] it. It consumes the planet - and by doing so - it destroys it (much like a virus consumes the cell). It kills (because it destroys the cell). Finally, it leaves the debris of destruction behaind it (which in sci-fi movies means "colonizing other worlds because our own will not be able to support life anymore".)

Believe it or not, once some friends and I sabotaged the chicken´s cages during a visit to a farm. The BIG MESS we caused earned us a big punishment back at school, but we were proud about doing what we did.

Regarding the Foxes, well, it is really sad that these people do what they are doing. I will like it if it was more this way: "Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of action." And thus punish them for what they are doing.

Evil fur-industry-supporter humans should jump from the 50th floor!!!!

Guest Julius Quasar

Did you read my article "Virus"? ... Oh, forgot it was in spanish and locked up in my desk.

Anyway, it is about people, because if you think about it, the human does behave like a virus indeed. It alters an evironment (much like a virus alters a cell) so it can multiply in[-side] it. It consumes the planet - and by doing so - it destroys it (much like a virus consumes the cell). It kills (because it destroys the cell). Finally, it leaves the debris of destruction behaind it (which in sci-fi movies means "colonizing other worlds because our own will not be able to support life anymore".)

Believe it or not, once some friends and I sabotaged the chicken´s cages during a visit to a farm. The BIG MESS we caused earned us a big punishment back at school, but we were proud about doing what we did.

Regarding the Foxes, well, it is really sad that these people do what they are doing. I will like it if it was more this way: "Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of action." And thus punish them for what they are doing.

Evil fur-industry-supporter humans should jump from the 50th floor!!!!

Ahhh, yes....

Foxes are just not really meant to generally live among people....foxes are great and noble creatures, but they tend to be destructive, they got poor impulse control, and they use the restroom anywhere, anytime...yeah, you don't wanna have to constantly clean up after 'em, now, do ya'? :wink:

I've seen youtube clips of people with pet foxes, most of these pet foxes were kept as pets for vermin control on farms, but for the most part I saw the comments where the makers of these vids warned people about the drawbacks of having pet foxes, including the reasons I just mentioned.

As much as I like foxes, a lot, for the most part I wouldn't want them living in my house.  My yard, my garage, my shed, yes, but my house, for the most part no, unless the fox was an orphaned baby kit, or was fleeing from any vicious predators (especially human scum fox fur hunters), or was wounded and/or sick, I'd then allow them into my home as a [temporary] place to stay.

Foxes are wise to shy away from and not trust humans, because humans, for the most part, stink.....

Ahhh, yes....

Foxes are just not really meant to generally live among people....foxes are great and noble creatures, but they tend to be destructive, they got poor impulse control, and they use the restroom anywhere, anytime...yeah, you don't wanna have to constantly clean up after 'em, now, do ya'? :wink:

I've seen youtube clips of people with pet foxes, most of these pet foxes were kept as pets for vermin control on farms, but for the most part I saw the comments where the makers of these vids warned people about the drawbacks of having pet foxes, including the reasons I just mentioned.

As much as I like foxes, a lot, for the most part I wouldn't want them living in my house.  My yard, my garage, my shed, yes, but my house, for the most part no, unless the fox was an orphaned baby kit, or was fleeing from any vicious predators (especially human scum fox fur hunters), or was wounded and/or sick, I'd then allow them into my home as a [temporary] place to stay.

Foxes are wise to shy away from and not trust humans, because humans, for the most part, stink.....

Agreed, and if I was in the goverment I would likely ban hunting of wild animals at all. Most of it is illegal there anyway, but there is still some [->evil minded<-] hunting. I would likely also prohibit illegal lumberjacking, but that´s just me in a million of people...

Guest Julius Quasar

I'm definitely against fur hunting/trapping, but hunting for food I'm still for (and that's the only hunting I'm for, and it's gotta be the type of game you hunt specifically for food only).

As for the domestication of ANY foxes, I say we leave them alone, respect their wildlife habitats, help them if/when they're sick, injured, threatened, or endangered, protect and respect them.

Guest FoXXX

I'm definitely against fur hunting/trapping, but hunting for food I'm still for (and that's the only hunting I'm for, and it's gotta be the type of game you hunt specifically for food only).

As for the domestication of ANY foxes, I say we leave them alone, respect their wildlife habitats, help them if/when they're sick, injured, threatened, or endangered, protect and respect them.

Yes <3

Guest Julius Quasar

I've always dreamed about an experiment involving foxes, and splicing human DNA with fox DNA, to create the perfect part human, part fox creature...the...anthropomorphic fox, come to life, become real...

a female human, and a female fox (vixen), created for real...man, I wish that was real...*in a spooky European accent* "Then I would have the perfect wife!" *mad scientist laughter*

But that ain't gonna happen... :(

Well like I said before I really do not mind voluntary (or non-voluntary only to take DNA samples, but that is it) genetics, but whenever you talk about that people think you are talking about creating super-mutants...

In any case they should leave the foxes alone, and definetly NOT try to domesticate them. They would just mutate in a weird way, like the dog (that is why we know have big/small/weird dogs), and in the long term the freaking people would just keep them as pups and the throw them away as an empty can... (FREAKING PEOPLE!!!)