ATARI HELP

Chrono Reaper

I have an ATARI 2600 coming in and i was wondering what would be the best and affordable way in converting UHF/Coax to Composite for a HDTV?

EDIT:

I was thinking about buying a Coax/Rf adapter and plug the atari Coax cable in the adapter and the adapter into the VCR and the out with Composite. Im guessing that might work as well?

Sorry I don't have an old fashion TV anymore, All i have is an HDTV with only Composite and HDMI ends.

What TV do you have (make/model)? I find it hard to believe it has no RF input. Every new TV I have seen still has them (it may even be mandated by the FCC that they have them).

If for some strange reason it really doesn't have one, then get a VCR with a tuner in it and use it as the middleman (you can probably pick one up at a garage sale for like $5.). RF Demodulators are rare and expensive.

Judging by the description of only having an HDTV and television with component inputs, I'm sorry to say that I believe that you are out of luck!  (If you haven't already, check the component TV for a coaxial input, they usually have them too)

What TV do you have (make/model)? I find it hard to believe it has no RF input. Every new TV I have seen still has them (it may even be mandated by the FCC that they have them).

If for some strange reason it really doesn't have one, then get a VCR with a tuner in it and use it as the middleman (you can probably pick one up at a garage sale for like $5.). RF Demodulators are rare and expensive.

It a Sony Bravia it only has component, composite and HDMI ports, the only RF female port it has is for the antenna feed. RF's and UHF Coaxial are old ways to get video and are considered out of date seeing most of the Sony Bravia LCD TV's in my house dont have them since they only need one for the Antenna.

EDIT: I think i found a way to do it by getting an old VHS Cassette player sinve they have RF ports and then by a UHF Coaxial / RF adapter and plug, and then just run the video feed of the Atari 2600 to the VHS player and the VHS player to the TV's Component cable.

Which Bravia do you have? The RF tuners on the one I looked at can still decode NTSC RF signals.

I guess I should ask this, too: Are you using an antenna?

EDIT3: Go here: http://saundby.com/atari7800mod/hookup.html

Which Bravia do you have? The RF tuners on the one I looked at can still decode NTSC RF signals.

I guess I should ask this, too: Are you using an antenna?

I am using an antenna, I looked back there hundreds of time and there are only av composite and component, HDMI and those PC video ports they throw in if ya want to plug your PC to the TV to act as a monitor, nowhere is there any RF plugs and I highly doubt the antenna RF port will work seeing its only used as a tuner for the antenna to pick up the HDTV signals. Even if I could unplug the antenna cable from the ONLY RF port on the TV and turn it to channel 3, its not worth the hassle.

So far the only salution is to g oto a pawn shop and pick up an old VHS player for like 5 bucks and use it as an RF tuner and then go to radio shack and but a Coaxial / RF puck so I can get video feed through the component cables.

EDIT: here is a picture of the back of my Bravia

[Pruned to save disk space]

Well, since you are using an antenna, shooting for RF isn't going to help.

You will have to get a VCR, then.

EDIT: you will still need RF to connect the Atari to the VCR, though. Check the link I posted earlier.

Nintendo made RF switches that were usable up to the Gamecube days, so you may be able to use one of those. They had an adaptor that plugged into the console that had a phono out. The RF switch itself connected to this adaptor with a phono cable. Basically, it is the one designed for the NES. They just made new phono adapters for the newer consoles. They finally killed it off when the Wii came out, but seeing as these things were around for 20 years, digging one up shouldn't be too hard.

Guest Julius Quasar

I have an ATARI 2600 coming in and i was wondering what would be the best and affordable way in converting UHF/Coax to Composite for a HDTV?

EDIT:

I was thinking about buying a Coax/Rf adapter and plug the atari Coax cable in the adapter and the adapter into the VCR and the out with Composite. Im guessing that might work as well?

Sorry I don't have an old fashion TV anymore, All i have is an HDTV with only Composite and HDMI ends.

I got a similar problem with my old NES console.

Well, since you are using an antenna, shooting for RF isn't going to help.

You will have to get a VCR, then.

EDIT: you will still need RF to connect the Atari to the VCR, though. Check the link I posted earlier.

Nintendo made RF switches that were usable up to the Gamecube days, so you may be able to use one of those. They had an adaptor that plugged into the console that had a phono out. The RF switch itself connected to this adaptor with a phono cable. Basically, it is the one designed for the NES. They just made new phono adapters for the newer consoles. They finally killed it off when the Wii came out, but seeing as these things were around for 20 years, digging one up shouldn't be too hard.

Cool, thanks! :yes: