Sins of a Solar Empire, do you recomend it?

Guest DRL

Well, that is pretty much of it.

Recently I have been offered a copy of the game complete with manual, box, ect. at a reduced price.

However, while the reviews have been quite good, I want to hear your opinion on the matter.

I mean, I do not care much about graphics, but what can you tell me about the gameplay?

I hear it is quite complex but please elaborate on everything you can.

(E.g, economic model, ship-to-ship fights, research... Customization, ect.)

It's basicly Civ, in space, and real time. Or real tme alpha century if your into the obscure.

The game is basicly a slow RTS best played on big maps where you have to manage your space faring civilization. There is no campaign and multiplayer is a pain due to the companies attempt for you to sign to there shop to get the latest patch, this mods and online play a hastle of seeing who has what versions. Basicly your stuck with skirmish.

Basic game play is sending ships to planets to fight stuff while you balence your research and budget. Do you go for a better econamy or better ships?

My opinion, it's ok. Not a great game, but it's fun in it's own way. If it's like £5 or something, then I say go for it.

Well, thanks for your little review Sabre.

I heard that it had big issues with the "you-need-EXACTLY-the-same-file" stuff, but I often do not play multiplayer so I do not think that is going to be a big problem.

I think I will go for it... However, anyone else has a different/better/worse view of it?

I heard the capital ship battles are cool, but I heard nothing about 'little' ship battles...

nor if it does have small ship battles.

Amazing game, one of my favorite RTS picks. The game focus on deep combat strategy instead of gathering resources like the classic age of empires. Multiplayer problems are not that bad, the game itself tells you to patch whenever you need to patch, I haven't encountered problems on that regard yet. Easy to learn, tricky to master, and it's a great game to play online with others. Cap ships add a little bit of RPG to the game as well.

"For some reason" I though your reviwe about it was going to be positive ~Steve~  :wink:.

Tells you =What= to patch? GrEaT!... Few games do that, as far as I have seen (or 'played').

I allways though resource collection was kinda... boring. (Well, I still do), but if it is not a big deal then that gives it another + point (or two).

Now you gave me another reason to go for it.

So far one question is still... (quite) unaswered: Customization.

How far you can get customizing the game (Both in-game and via modding)?

Game is really mod friendly, as a matter of fact there are a couple of mods out there, I prefer to stick with the original one, but, you can always check the main page to get more info http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/

(sorry for asking to much)

Thanks, and what abou in-game?

I mean, can you create your own ships in-game?

Or you have to stick with default ones?

(^not there is anything wrong but that just asking)

if you download the mod tools, you can create your ships too, just go around the page I gave you and find the modding section

O-Kay then.

Well, thank you for your opinions regarding the game;

now I am definetly going to get it.

... However, now I think that the topic has run it´s course.

If you wish to lock it, do so.

(The other option is to change slightly the thread title and

leave it open for anyone to discuss the game later)...

I assume steve is a member of stardock, the online sop the game makers are trying to push. If you are not a meber, it's a hassle. Same with mods. You need to make sure you have version X and not Y, it all get's very irritating.

Whenever you buy the game, you get a serial to register your game online, that automatically makes you a member. I got the original game on retail version and I bought the expansions online. However, they offer a full package on retail version which is much better (more extra stuff like posters with the tech trees)

Do not worry, that is not much of a problem... Since I got an slow-USB Modem it is unlike

I play/buy online stuff. Sometimes I do play LAN, but that is pretty much it regarding multiplayer...