Garry's Mod: Tips and Tricks.

Vy'drach

I figured a place where people might share tips and tricks (or ask for some to avoid some unneeded trial & error and frustration) for GMod might be helpful.

I'm wondering if anyone happens to know how to make a functional door. I currently have my door roped to the top of the entrance way with very short ropes, and two hover-balls at the bottom to make a sort of garage door type apparatus.

Okay, kind of question:

I have been told before that

Garry´s mod works on it´s own,

and also I have beeen told that it

needs a game to work on. This is

contradictory... So, can anyone

clear this for me?

Thank you for your time.

Okay, kind of question:

clear this for me?

Thank you for your time.

I'm fairly certain you can play it on it's own, but in order to have props from half life 2 ect. You have to have half life two... something like that, I dunno.

I figured a place where people might share tips and tricks (or ask for some to avoid some unneeded trial & error and frustration) for GMod might be helpful.

I'm wondering if anyone happens to know how to make a functional door. I currently have my door roped to the top of the entrance way with very short ropes, and two hover-balls at the bottom to make a sort of garage door type apparatus.

Get wire mod (if you don't already have it), and look some toturials on how to use it up on youtube, Wire mod is crazy useful in Gmod

Okay, kind of question:

clear this for me?

Thank you for your time.

It plays on its own, but requires another source using game on your comp. (Counter Strike: Source is pretty good at this, as it is really cheap if I remember)

Also, I got Wire Mod per your suggestion, and yeah, that seems to be what I need, also the tutorials showed a lot of the things I needed to use.

Now on to another problem with GMod, I can't get the maps gm_megastruct_final and gm_megastruct_final_night to show up on my list, where do I extract them to?

In steam right click Gmod

Click Uninstall

Go to store

Install Dystopia

Go to the internet

Install Smod Redux

Download Console Command List

Play

Congratulations. You now have games worth playing instead of a tedious black hole that barely qualifies as a game.

Also you can play Gmod with any source game, but to get the most out of it you need the full set of Half Lifes and Multiplayer Games.

Apart from the last line, that was hardly constructive, Sabre.

Apart from the last line, that was hardly constructive, Sabre.

Well, I preach my favourite mods where I can, but my main point was that to make Gmod worth while, You have to own all the major source games, and that it's not that great. You'd be better off with Smod or Dystopia, which only need one each. HL2 for Smod Redux, HL2 and CSS for Smod Tactical, and any valve source game for dystopia.

Okay, kind of question:

clear this for me?

Thank you for your time.

As far as I know you only need one source game steam(Free!!!) and 10 bucks to get garrys mod as Sabre said there are other games you can buy to add more content from those games ,but there's alot of downloadable content from  a site known as  Garrysmod.org and that is all free after registering.

As far as I know you only need one source game steam(Free!!!) and 10 bucks to get garrys mod as Sabre said there are other games you can buy to add more content from those games ,but there's alot of downloadable content from  a site known as  Garrysmod.org and that is all free after registering.

Technically correct, but it's a case of whether that's worth doing. Technically you could buy a wii and just play wii sports in single player, but that's not worth £180. Also alot of content is based off other content. Let's say someone releases a new set of starfox characters that use counter strike models as a base. You can't use them because you need the models they are based on. So yes, technically possable, but also not really worth doing.

Another issue with G-mod is that there are no goals, missions ect. For people like me who like that stuff, Gmod is pointless. It's basicly a computerized lego set. It's only worth the money if that is exactly what you and want and if you have most of the valve games.

Technically correct, but it's a case of whether that's worth doing. Technically you could buy a wii and just play wii sports in single player, but that's not worth £180. Also alot of content is based off other content. Let's say someone releases a new set of starfox characters that use counter strike models as a base. You can't use them because you need the models they are based on. So yes, technically possable, but also not really worth doing.

Another issue with G-mod is that there are no goals, missions ect. For people like me who like that stuff, Gmod is pointless. It's basicly a computerized lego set. It's only worth the money if that is exactly what you and want and if you have most of the valve games.

So do you like playing with legos yes it is  pointless it is a sandbox game where you can make what you want when you want so lets say you want to catapult some pigs across the map you can do so...(provied you can find a pig model) the point of Gmod is for the player to make what they want.n (kinda like a map editor) if you don't like that sort of thing fine ,but some people like to have a little fun with a tub car... by the way I've made a couple things I have fun with one being  the flying buzz saw blade :D the other is a rocket propelled  Office chair.

Indeed. Someone asked for purchase advice, I gave it, personally I hate the game, but that's me.

okay i'm just stating my opinion to your entitled to you own opinion.

Really to me the point is: build, Screw around, and hang out with friends in a game where you can build, deathmatch, and dogfight at the same time.

Oh! did i forget to mention there's screwing around?  :)

14tqb6o.jpg

Oh! just use the Axis tool, making doors with it is very easy.

It works similarly to to easy weld,

2wdprtl.jpg

jr4pk7.jpg

nn70xs.jpg

se1yx1.jpg

Now you have a door that easily push open!

you can do the same to make a garage door to, and using the hydralics can let you manually open and close it.

mu9du.jpg