Iwata identifies Apple as a threat to Nintendo.

DZComposer

Nintendo has pretty much declared victory against the PSP, and is now preparing to battle the iPhone.

An interesting development, as Nintendo has said in the past that Apple was no threat.

SRC = http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/07/satoru-iwata-nintendo-ceo_n_568045.html

Does this mean a possible Nintendo phone at some point in the future? If Nintendo wants to take on Apple, they'd almost have to release a phone, and provide an app store that is more open the the Wii/DSi shop.

I have visions of a Nintendo phone running Android, but that is probably wishful thinking. If there is one thing Apple and Nintendo have in common, it is that they like to control their hardware. That said, Android is already fairing quite well against the iPhone, and it would make sense to start with it.

Personally I like the Idea of a...

"Nin'Phone" or "'TendoPhone"

(or whatever they decided to

call it). You never know. Maybe

a new Star Fox game pops up

on it... :?: +  :lol:

(or whatever they decided to

call it). You never know. Maybe

a new Star Fox game pops up

on it... :?::lol:

I actually laughed at an iPhone add, and told my uncle looked at me, and I told him, "To hell with apple and their iPhones, Nintendo needs to make one." He looked at me and asked, "What? A Nintendo iPhone?" I nodded, and said, "And it would require Star Fox." He just said, "A Nintendo iPhone... with Star Fox," and I nodded my head, and said, "Damn right!"

I really do want a Nintendo phone, with a Star Fox game on it.

Nintendo has a reputation of supplying games of such good quality that they are destined to become classics, if Nintendo iPhone came out, then all these 5 minuet indies would come out and it would kill there rep'.

I actually laughed at an iPhone add, and told my uncle looked at me, and I told him, "To hell with apple and their iPhones, Nintendo needs to make one." He looked at me and asked, "What? A Nintendo iPhone?" I nodded, and said, "And it would require Star Fox." He just said, "A Nintendo iPhone... with Star Fox," and I nodded my head, and said, "Damn right!"

I really do want a Nintendo phone, with a Star Fox game on it.

Yeah, I think the same!

Nintendo has a reputation of supplying games of such good quality that they are destined to become classics, if Nintendo iPhone came out, then all these 5 minuet indies would come out and it would kill there rep'.

I do not really think it is going to be

called "Nintendo iPhone".

('iPhone is a trademark of Apple,

or like that).

...However, it does sound quite cool,

to me. If Nintendo ever makes one, I

will buy it! (provided I have enought

money to do so... :oops:)

After some thought, if Nintendo is serious about competing with Apple they HAVE to release a phone. The reason the iPhone is a potential threat is that it is an all-in-one device that has the capability of being a handheld gaming device. But, beyond gaming, the iPhone is a phone, a music player, a GPS device, and a PDA with access to a large number of 3rd party applications.

That is what Nintendo has to compete with if they want to take on Apple. The 3DS won't be enough if all it does is play games.

Also to be taken into account is the state of the phone market: Apps are everything. To be successful, and entrant into this market needs to have an app library with low barriers to entry. By that I mean, no "official developer" status things. Apple has an approval process, but anyone can submit an app. There is where Android comes in. The phone makers are realizing that if they want to compete with Apple, they need the apps. Android is the only other platform that has an established apps library and distribution method.

The currently smart thing to do for anyone wanting to take on Apple is to make an Android phone. HTC, Motorola, and LG are cranking them out, HTC especially (The new HTC's new 4G Android phone coming out makes my Moto Droid look pathetic :/ ).

This creates a situation for Nintendo. If they want to jump in, they have two choices: Go it alone, or Android. Nintendo is a Go it alone kind of company. This is a dangerous move, as not only would a Nintendo phone with a Nintendo OS have to compete against the iPhone, it would have to take on the plethora of Android-based phones as well. In total, Android is now bigger than iPhone. While the iPhone may be the top selling phone, more phones have been sold running Android than any other OS, including iPhone OS. And due to Andoid not being controlled by a single company, it is a tougher beast to slay. Between Apple and Android, I do not think Nintendo has a chance if they go it alone.

If Nintendo really wants to take on Apple, they will have to swallow their pride and drop an Android phone. I think Nintendo is innovative enough to shake-up the phone market, but it needs an apps backend that the DSi shop cannot provide. The problem is Nintendo would have to give-up control over what runs on the device. Nintendo, like Apple, is not known for that. The reason Apple gets away with it is that Apple was here first. If Apple had entered the market after the rise of Android, it would be a much different story.

If they try to go it alone, the criticism will be "NO APPS!" from the start, which could kill it in the Introduction phase of the Product Life Cycle.

The Nintendo DsP now with the abilties of a phone!

A Nintendo phone is a horrible idea.

I wrote a bit about this on my blog that no one reads but here's a clip

Here is a direct quote:

“The company’s recent strategy has centred on creating devices aimed not just at children and dedicated — generally male — gamers, but at the whole family. Two years ago, the company claimed to have permanently altered the demographics of video games by raising the average age and the gender mix of gamers. Unfortunately, the very people it claimed to have converted — high-school girls and men aged between 30 and 40 — reported that they would rather have an iPhone than a DS in their pockets or handbags.”

Alright so Nintendo goes and makes more mature themed games yes? So then they go and find out the most 30 to 40 year old men would rather own an iPhone than a DS.

hurrr more middle aged men would rather own an iPhone than a children’s gaming device Apple’s our enemy hurr.

Nintendo’s logic is beyond me, so apparently Nintendo thinks that it’s wrong for an adult to want an iPhone rather than a DS.

You're all Nintendo fanboys who can't just admit that Nintendo is making a stupid decision.

A Nintendo phone is a horrible idea.

I wrote a bit about this on my blog that no one reads but here's a clip

You're all Nintendo fanboys who can't just admit that Nintendo is making a stupid decision.

A couple of things. One, Nintendo hasn't really reached a decision, we and they are just discussing the possibility of a Nintendo phone to compete with Apple. Two, it may just be the sleep deprivation, but I really see nothing in the clip from your blog that says the Nintendo phone is or isn't a good idea. So more people want an iPhone than a DS, if they can make a real competitor for the iPhone, it is a good idea since it will expand their consumer variance. If they manage to make a real competitor for the iPhone, that is.

The quote was relevant to the thread, not my comment. Nintendo makes game consoles for children, not adults.

After some thought, if Nintendo is serious about competing with Apple they HAVE to release a phone. The reason the iPhone is a potential threat is that it is an all-in-one device that has the capability of being a handheld gaming device. But, beyond gaming, the iPhone is a phone, a music player, a GPS device, and a PDA with access to a large number of 3rd party applications.

That is what Nintendo has to compete with if they want to take on Apple. The 3DS won't be enough if all it does is play games.

Also to be taken into account is the state of the phone market: Apps are everything. To be successful, and entrant into this market needs to have an app library with low barriers to entry. By that I mean, no "official developer" status things. Apple has an approval process, but anyone can submit an app. There is where Android comes in. The phone makers are realizing that if they want to compete with Apple, they need the apps. Android is the only other platform that has an established apps library and distribution method.

The currently smart thing to do for anyone wanting to take on Apple is to make an Android phone. HTC, Motorola, and LG are cranking them out, HTC especially (The new HTC's new 4G Android phone coming out makes my Moto Droid look pathetic :/ ).

This creates a situation for Nintendo. If they want to jump in, they have two choices: Go it alone, or Android. Nintendo is a Go it alone kind of company. This is a dangerous move, as not only would a Nintendo phone with a Nintendo OS have to compete against the iPhone, it would have to take on the plethora of Android-based phones as well. In total, Android is now bigger than iPhone. While the iPhone may be the top selling phone, more phones have been sold running Android than any other OS, including iPhone OS. And due to Andoid not being controlled by a single company, it is a tougher beast to slay. Between Apple and Android, I do not think Nintendo has a chance if they go it alone.

If Nintendo really wants to take on Apple, they will have to swallow their pride and drop an Android phone. I think Nintendo is innovative enough to shake-up the phone market, but it needs an apps backend that the DSi shop cannot provide. The problem is Nintendo would have to give-up control over what runs on the device. Nintendo, like Apple, is not known for that. The reason Apple gets away with it is that Apple was here first. If Apple had entered the market after the rise of Android, it would be a much different story.

If they try to go it alone, the criticism will be "NO APPS!" from the start, which could kill it in the Introduction phase of the Product Life Cycle.

An Android/DS hybrid would be cool. I can see it now,3D without any glasses,touch screen, and ablity to run Android and DS apps and games :D.

A couple of things. One, Nintendo hasn't really reached a decision, we and they are just discussing the possibility of a Nintendo phone to compete with Apple. Two, it may just be the sleep deprivation, but I really see nothing in the clip from your blog that says the Nintendo phone is or isn't a good idea. So more people want an iPhone than a DS, if they can make a real competitor for the iPhone, it is a good idea since it will expand their consumer variance. If they manage to make a real competitor for the iPhone, that is.

Woah, the article did NOT say Nintendo was thinking about making a phone. It said that they view the iPhone as a threat. I merely pointed out that in order to successfully compete with Apple, Nintendo would need to make a phone. I have no clue if they are thinking about it that way or not.

In all likelihood, Nintendo is going to make a serious error, either in thinking they can combat the iPhone with a pure gaming device or by releasing a phone on a closed platform that is hard to get apps on that will get clobbered by Apple and the Android coalition combined.

The quote was relevant to the thread, not my comment. Nintendo makes game consoles for children, not adults.

That's a pretty cynical outlook. Nintendo doesn't want to tie themselves to that demographic, and they've tried to break free from that stereotype, admittedly without much success.

But, saying that Nintendo is "For Kids" ignores the success of Wii. Wii has sold to adults. Not the "HALO FTW!!!!!111elevenone" adults, but they are adults nonetheless. Nintendo has sole more consoles to people over 35 than anyone else.

The fallacy you make is that you are confusing "core gamer" with adult. I won't disagree with you if you mention Nintendo forsaking the "core gamer" in favor of the casual, but to equating with being "For Kids" is intellectually dishonest.

Plus, comparing the iPhone to the DS is an Apples to Oranges comparison. The DS is a handheld game console, the iPhone is a smartphone. It's like saying you'd rather go see a movie that eat at Taco Bell.

The reason the iPhone is a perceived threat is that it is an all-in-one device. Why carry a game device AND a phone when the phone can play games? It's not like the games on the iPhone right now are any better than DS games. Most of them are casual games.

People didn't choose the iPhone because they're adults, they chose it because it is a more convenient device that has value beyond gaming. If I had to choose between my Motorola Droid or my DS, I'd take my phone, too. It's more useful in more ways than the DS is. Your argument is a total non sequitur.

Your claim that we're all fanboys who are too stupid to see your point of view is an ad hominem fallacy, and doesn't deserve a proper rebuttal. Please refrain from using ad hominem in the future.

The Wii is meant for kids. Of course even if a console is meant for kids some adults may still buy it for themselves, you can't prevent that, but it was certainly meant for children. I don't know where you're getting these facts about sales to buyers over 35 but most would be parents, buying the system for their children.

Now as for gaming, Nintendo seems to think that the iPod/iPhone etc. are hardcore gaming devices or something along the lines of such. I see no reason for them to compete or be rivals.

This is a Star Fox forum is it not? So does that not mean that many of the people here would be die hard Nintendo fans as well? I would assume that most users on this forum love Nintendo because, well I've seen it. So I have every right to believe so. Apparently I have no right to have an opinion that is not pro-Nintendo.

Apparently I have no right to have an opinion that is not pro-Nintendo.

Wow, you're seriously over-reacting about this.  Where has anyone directly stated that or implied it?  Just because some one disagrees with you doesn't mean you don't have a right to like what you want! Personally, I'm currently extremely disappointed with Nintendo, I miss their hardcore days, their hardcore fanbase, their hardcore merchandise, and their hardcore games. 

hmm this intresting but wasn't there at one point in time nintendo was making the wii phone? or something like that.

The Wii is meant for kids. Of course even if a console is meant for kids some adults may still buy it for themselves, you can't prevent that, but it was certainly meant for children. I don't know where you're getting these facts about sales to buyers over 35 but most would be parents, buying the system for their children.

Now as for gaming, Nintendo seems to think that the iPod/iPhone etc. are hardcore gaming devices or something along the lines of such. I see no reason for them to compete or be rivals.

This is a Star Fox forum is it not? So does that not mean that many of the people here would be die hard Nintendo fans as well? I would assume that most users on this forum love Nintendo because, well I've seen it. So I have every right to believe so. Apparently I have no right to have an opinion that is not pro-Nintendo.

Wii was not designed for children, as they would have no use for some of its features, such as the weather or news channels, and a lot of parents don't want to let their children online because of the types of people out there, "Online interactions not rated by the ESRB" after all. Consoles in general are not designed with a particular age group in mind, it is the games themselves that are age orientated.

I seriously think a phone would be a bad move, they're already on the edge as it is.

i'm not sure if you guys have noticed but Wii sales have dropped. last i checked the Xbox 360 and PS3 were at a stalemate with the Wii at bottum of the list. but its true the PSP is still suffering from its lack of games so yeah The DS and DSi are pretty much winning the handheld race.

Personally, I'm currently extremely disappointed with Nintendo, I miss their hardcore days, their hardcore fanbase, their hardcore merchandise, and their hardcore games.

So do I my friend, if they want to get a better reputation they need to Drop the family friendly bs and start getting back to work on what made them legends in the the first place. And a phone isn't a way of doing it.

Its kind of a stretch (and a risk) but if i had to fix this i'd probably work on a new console for our generation of gamer's. 1. classic controlers  2. better more connected system of insant messaging  3. and most important, games packed with content and multi-player capabilities!!!

If we're lucky there may be a light at the end of this extreemly long and dark tunnel after all, but until its found i'll be sticking with the PS3 and PC in my portion of said tunnel.

if you've looked around hard enough you'd have noticed that we all don't use a Wii and DS 24/7.....

yes this is a site based for the starfox series, but just because alot of us praise the series doesn't mean we worship the people who made it.

Everone is just expressing their oppinion on the subject, so we're not die-hard nintendo fans

why did i put so much effort into this one post? I'm freaking bored out of my skull x_x

• Owner/Technical Admin

Those kind of comments are not needed. Watch your attitude.

I stil think a Nintendo Phone is a good

idea. Specially if it uses Android (I do not

know much about it, but from what I heard -

and what DZ said  :lol: - it seems to be quite

cool).

No, seriously. If they are trying to make

a phone, then I will save for and buy it.

Not yet, of course. They have not decided

it yet...

Phonetendo...

Also, I would hate if Nintendo got a phone, for it would increase those stupid Ipod app games that are on the Ds, and not even Dsi ware, just game cartridges... unless it would just move em all the the phone... none the less, I hate talking on phones...

Guest Mr. Mario

Well if Nintendo ever strightens up and flies right (Limit all those crappy Mario,Zelda,Metroid and Pokemon games), it's possible that Nintendo just might release a phone.

It could be revealed at this years E3 or next year.

Uh, no it wasn't. It wasn't marketed that way. It was marketed towards people who may be more casual gamers. As I said previously, Casual Gamers are not necessarily children. My father never liked video games until he got a Wii. It is people like him that Nintendo targeted with Wii.  It wasn't marketed as "Buy this for your kids!!!" either. It was marketed as "By this for yourself, even if you never played video games."

The whole marketing strategy behind Wii was gaming for everyone, and that extended down to the Wii name itself. "Wii as in Us" as Nintendo said when they announced it. Nintendo has said they want everyone to play games at just about every press event they've held since E3 2006. I do not see how you can draw the conclusion that Nintendo has primarily marketed the Wii to children, when it is quite clear from their marketing materials themselves that that is not the case.

I do not entirely disagree, though as more and more apps get developed, and if newer generation phones are able to handle 3D graphics, the potential is there.

That is not what I said. I said don't make comments like "You're all fanboys who are too stupid to see it my way."

If you had instead made logic based arguments instead of "Nintendo is for kids and you're too stupid to see that" arguments, I wouldn't have said that.

You have a right to disagree, but you do NOT have a right to hurl insults.

My dad is a old gamer from the arcade age (Donkey kong anyone?) But I agree that the wii is defintly ment for the casual  gamers now I don't know if this hurt or helped nintendo however.

so any idea's what their going to call this phone Or are they just going to add cell phone capabilties to the newest Ds Model they already have Internet so phone i suppose would be the next step.

And just for the record I'm just a gamer a hard core gamer I don't care what console I play  (although I prefure sega actually) i wouldn't care if i coul

d play Starfox on my xbox360 instead of my wii.

I'm a starfox fan yes ,but i don't prefure nintendo over microsoft as far as consoles (would prefure to have all 7th gen consoles honestly)