Stop PMing links

Sabre

Over the last couple of weeks I've had a few PMs from various people along the lines of "Check out my cool video!" *links to crappy video, and a glance at the address field shows it seems to have been sent to as many people the PM system allows. What's suprising is this is coming from long time users.

There are threads, even entire sub forums for this stuff. You have the portal, fanart, fanfics, non fanart, lounge, rec room, and arcade to post this stuff in.

I can only speak for myself, but I know other users have been getting these. I have no problems with PMs, or links, but if I'm not reading your crappy fan fic it's because I don't want to. I've never posted in the fanfic section because I don't like fanfics, so what makes you think yours is an exception?

That sounds more angry and bitter then it intends, but the fact remains that instead of PMing every user on the forum, just make a thread. Hopfully we can stop this now rather than getting the admins involved.

I sort of agree here, though I like reading fanfics and looking at fanart, I don't want people spamming my inbox with links to their stuff, just post it in the proper thread, and I'll take a look at it there.

This could be considered spam, so it goes against the forum rules anyway, so try to stop doing it.

Guest Julius Quasar

I know what/who you're talking about, Sabre... :wink:

I been getting stuff like that too, recently.  I don't mind if they got cool links to things like awesome drawings/art, great videos/music, and stuff like that, but other times, yeah, it feels like :spam:

I too know/who you is talking about. I would also prefer it not to be sent to me either, unless it is one of those things that are like, "I thought you, as Nick, would like" Then it is kinda okay. It hasn't really happened that way, but that would be the case that seems except-able to me, rather than multi sent stuff.

Guest Julius Quasar

I too know/who you is talking about. I would also prefer it not to be sent to me either, unless it is one of those things that are like, "I thought you, as Nick, would like" Then it is kinda okay. It hasn't really happened that way, but that would be the case that seems except-able to me, rather than multi sent stuff.

Same here.

I have NO idea.  :|

I honestly haven't been getting any spam mail. Must only be some specific people

I honestly haven't been getting any spam mail. Must only be some specific people

It must be because I don't get of this either, but there's probably a specific reason for that heh ;)

Needless to say if anyone still feels like they are being "harassed by PM spam" then they need to PM an admin and this will be taken care of.

Sabre is actually right this time.

This is Spam, plain and simple. If I catch anyone doing this, expect to lose PM privileges.

Sabre is actually right this time.

This is Spam, plain and simple. If I catch anyone doing this, expect to lose PM privileges.

You say that as if I, perfect god that I am, is ever wrong, despite having a team of scientists and researchers to make sure everything I say is 100% accurate. :P

Seriously though. I only have issue with double standards, hypocrasy and magical thinking.

Maybe I shouldn't have deleted the messages. I would say they maxed out the field alphabetically, but I come after you. Maybe by post count, certain sub forums, or your inbox is full?

I would also prefer it not to be sent to me either, unless it is one of those things that are like, "I thought you, as Nick, would like" Then it is kinda okay.

Same.

You say that as if I, perfect god that I am, is ever wrong, despite having a team of scientists and researchers to make sure everything I say is 100% accurate. :P

*enters topic*

*quickly discards white coat*

A-ahem. I haven't gotten anything either. Hooray!

Maybe I shouldn't have deleted the messages. I would say they maxed out the field alphabetically, but I come after you. Maybe by post count, certain sub forums, or your inbox is full?

Nah, I always keep my inbox clean. The most PM's I ever had in my inbox was three. I don't think it's post count either.....I have more than SFR but he seemed to have got some. (Implied anyway)

Whoever it is is probably just sending it to certain people they know well or have noticed are here for the majority of the time. Really the only person I talk to mainly in PM is Julius man, so I'm naturally not much of a prime target.

....My two cents anyways. 

I have never got a PM with a link in it, except an awesome Charlie the Unicorn video but if anybody does this to me....prepare to meet....SIRSLACKSALOT. :lol:

I got a PM regarding this matter, yeah, but it was no big deal. I feel kind of bad for the guy now, because this topic involves him and if/when he reads it, he'll feel like crap. :?

I got a PM regarding this matter, yeah, but it was no big deal. I feel kind of bad for the guy now, because this topic involves him and if/when he reads it, he'll feel like crap. :?

I agree, I could understand if he did this all the time...

If I get various links to someone's stuff I just use the ignore feature... The only exceptions I take are usually site debates. (In case anyone remembered the dA case)

Nah, I always keep my inbox clean. The most PM's I ever had in my inbox was three. I don't think it's post count either.....I have more than SFR but he seemed to have got some. (Implied anyway)

Whoever it is is probably just sending it to certain people they know well or have noticed are here for the majority of the time. Really the only person I talk to mainly in PM is Julius man, so I'm naturally not much of a prime target.

....My two cents anyways.

The only time I pm links is if someoen ask me to post a link or something they should look at.... (like a certain topic so they can see what they need to reply to.

Guest Julius Quasar

The only time I pm links is if someoen ask me to post a link or something they should look at.... (like a certain topic so they can see what they need to reply to.

That's cool, I don't mind those either. 

Guest Mr. Mario

I think the reason why whoever sent the link to those certain users (Like me, I got it too.) is... well probably not many users visit THE PORTAL.

Thats all I can say...

I think the reason why whoever sent the link to those certain users (Like me, I got it too.) is... well probably not many users visit THE PORTAL.

Thats all I can say...

The reason for the Portal is that I want "visit my site!!!!1111elevenone" threads to go into a place where people can choose whether or not they want to view them.

That's no excuse to spam, though. If you want to spam, go elsewhere. Don't use my site to do it.

Been on Encyclopedia Dramatica haven't you DZ?

No. Why? If you're talking about "!!!!!!!!1111elevenone," I've seen that all over the place.

Encyclopedia Dramatica is too much /b/tardation for my tastes.