"Metroid-vanias"

Sabre

As much as I hate the term "Metroid-vania" it is elegant in that it sums up what it is with no confusion. You have a grid based map, you find power ups that expand your combat ability while allowing to progress deeper and find more power ups. The big 3 are Metroid, Castlevania: Symphany of the Night and the underrated gem Shadow Complex.

I was browsing the internets when I came across a video for a game called Monster Tale, which on discription sounds like Pokemon meets Tomagotchi. You run around with a pet monster fighting other monsters to level up and gain new toys for your pet to play with and skills to use in combat. So far so dull.

Then I watched a video of it because they are usually funny and I was as suprised as the guys in the video to learn that it was in a fact a metroid-vania game, but instead of a robo suit you power up a MAG like pet that floats over your shoulder. The graphics have a look of the best game SNES/GBA forgot. Here's the video.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-monster-tale/17-3777/

The game is currently only due for release in the US which means I'm going to have to find an import.

Well if Metroidvania doesn't fit your fancy there's always Castleoid :P