Furry Lifestyle

Milkyway64

So User and I were talking, and a friend we have in common has totally and utterly lost his mind. Putting a long story short, he's such a furry that he no longer really has anything else to him. If he talks, there's a great chance it's furry related. If he's in a bad mood, he claims going to the fur meet for some fur-bowling and fur-arcade (as opposed to the non prefixed activities)will cheer him right up and put him back into a pleasant mood. He is a so-called lifestyler.

Thing is, I have no idea what the heck a furry lifestyler is supposed to be. Such as, look at vagetarians. They do what they do for a deeper purpose. It seems all these furries can come up with is "it's fun" which doesn't count, or else I'd be my own separate culture or race for playing videogames on purely an entertainment level. And hence my opening statement; furry lifestyle doesn't exist. It's an excuse for a number of things, be it obsession both healthy and unhealthy, fetish, or what have you. What it is NOT is a legit subculture that should be taken seriously by everyone as such. Agree, or am I totally missing something?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Milkyway64

• Xortberg

• Sabre

• Rogue Fox

General Milky: What IS the life style.

General Milky: That is the one bullshit question I have never had answered.

General Milky: What IS the lifestyle.

General Milky: Like a vegetarian, they do it because... they don't like the idea of consuming death?

General Milky: What purpose is there to center your life around hichschool mascot suits?

General Milky: To try and hone senses to animalistic accuracy?

"User": Because it's fun :P

General Milky: Then THAT'S. NOT. A LIFESTYLE.

General Milky: And if it is, then I'm in my own subculture and fucking race for playing tons of videogames. i do it because they are fun, too.

General Milky: Oh and YOU! You're of the mysterious LQ race!

"User": :o

General Milky: Bullshit, that's not what a lifestyle is.

Just a small excerpt of our conversation. :P

What it is NOT is a legit subculture that should be taken seriously by everyone as such. Agree, or am I totally missing something?

The only people I know of that take the fandom seriously are furries themselves. Knowing our friend here, he's definitely not the same person as I used to know him. It would do him some good to meet some non-furry friends and get a GF (who's not a furry).

I'm not a lifestyler, as I'm mainly in the fandom for the "art" and although I can see where he is coming from I really believe he needs to diversify a little more. :/

It should also be pointed out that some furry lifestylers really believe they are a fox or whale or whatever, trapped in a human body. Sounds silly, but given how everyone is expected to be serious face when a person claims to be one gender trapped in another genders body, I think the same serious face rules apply.

Maybe this person is just more "Flamboyant" about being a furry. Its possible that these prefixes to all their activities are simply just because their friends are also "expressive" furries?

I half agree on that living a diehard furry lifestyle is impossible, But I'm sure there is some crazy nuts out there where EVERYTHING they do is furry related, Even as minimal as just wearing a tail/ears and calling it a fur fun.

I think there is a baseline when it comes to different lifestyles, but its not a specific "Only do this" thing. For example I dont really do anything all day but play video games/talk to friends. That makes me a gamer. Lifestyle? Possibly... Lifestyle choice? Yes.

You really shouldnt get all up in a huff about someone being proud. I have a friend who is homosexual and quite in love with me, Often showing public affection. Yes it can be a bit annoying or uncomfortable at times but you have to remember its their life, You can't really force someone to not be proud/happy about how they are. I agree that there is a certain limit where "In your face" shouldnt be reached. but as far as just being happy and having fur fun shouldnt cause you any problems. It's not like your going to the gatherings. It affects you in no direct way.

In a short way to put it, People should be allowed to be proud of who they are and show it, As long as they don't absolutely swarm you with what ever they like, Let them be in their own happy world. This is very similar to a flamboyant homosexual who is ridiculed for being...well... Gay.

I'm OK with this as long as he isn't my friend and he doesn't start calling pr0nz Yiff.

That's weirdly put. What if your friend was a furry? Would you stop hanging out with him/her? anyways...

I'm OK with it, but if he gets too furry, I'm just gonna tell him/her to stop

So User and I were talking, and a friend we have in common has totally and utterly lost his mind. Putting a long story short, he's such a furry that he no longer really has anything else to him. If he talks, there's a great chance it's furry related. If he's in a bad mood, he claims going to the fur meet for some fur-bowling and fur-arcade (as opposed to the non prefixed activities)will cheer him right up and put him back into a pleasant mood. He is a so-called lifestyler.

Thing is, I have no idea what the heck a furry lifestyler is supposed to be. Such as, look at vagetarians. They do what they do for a deeper purpose. It seems all these furries can come up with is "it's fun" which doesn't count, or else I'd be my own separate culture or race for playing videogames on purely an entertainment level. And hence my opening statement; furry lifestyle doesn't exist. It's an excuse for a number of things, be it obsession both healthy and unhealthy, fetish, or what have you. What it is NOT is a legit subculture that should be taken seriously by everyone as such. Agree, or am I totally missing something?

You're totally missing something. That something being the definition of lifestyle. According to dictionary.com:

life·style - the habits, attitudes, tastes, moral standards, economic level, etc., that together constitute the mode of living of an individual or group.

Does being furry for this guy constitute habits, attitudes, tastes, moral standards, and economic level? Just looking for those, at least three apply, and as the definition states, it can apply to an individual as well as a group, so yes: you playing video games for enjoyment could constitute a lifestyle just as much as being furry does for this guy.

As for your claim that they aren't a legit subculture, I direct you to the "Identifying subcultures" section of the Wikipedia page.

The study of subcultures often consists of the study of symbolism attached to clothing, music and other visible affectations by members of subcultures, and also the ways in which these same symbols are interpreted by members of the dominant culture. According to Dick Hebdige, members of a subculture often signal their membership through a distinctive and symbolic use of style, which includes fashions, mannerisms, and argot.

This basically applies to the furry fandom pretty well. I'd say it's a legit subculture.

See, I think the deal is that you've given all these words puffed up, important definitions with some deep meaning to them when they really aren't. They're much simpler, and they do apply to living as a furry on any level.

It should also be pointed out that some furry lifestylers really believe they are a fox or whale or whatever, trapped in a human body. Sounds silly, but given how everyone is expected to be serious face when a person claims to be one gender trapped in another genders body, I think the same serious face rules apply.

Difference being there that men and women are both human. Something going wrong in the conception process and the brain developing as a female while the body develops as a male is much more plausible and backable by science than something going wrong during the conception and the brain developing as a fox while the body stays human.

The only people I know of that take the fandom seriously are furries themselves. Knowing our friend here, he's definitely not the same person as I used to know him. It would do him some good to meet some non-furry friends and get a GF (who's not a furry).

I'm not a lifestyler, as I'm mainly in the fandom for the "art" and although I can see where he is coming from I really believe he needs to diversify a little more. :/

Indeed. As I've mentioned, he has zero variety in about anything. It's boring and slightly irritating.

Maybe this person is just more "Flamboyant" about being a furry. Its possible that these prefixes to all their activities are simply just because their friends are also "expressive" furries?

I half agree on that living a diehard furry lifestyle is impossible, But I'm sure there is some crazy nuts out there where EVERYTHING they do is furry related, Even as minimal as just wearing a tail/ears and calling it a fur fun.

I think there is a baseline when it comes to different lifestyles, but its not a specific "Only do this" thing. For example I dont really do anything all day but play video games/talk to friends. That makes me a gamer. Lifestyle? Possibly... Lifestyle choice? Yes.

You really shouldnt get all up in a huff about someone being proud. I have a friend who is homosexual and quite in love with me, Often showing public affection. Yes it can be a bit annoying or uncomfortable at times but you have to remember its their life, You can't really force someone to not be proud/happy about how they are. I agree that there is a certain limit where "In your face" shouldnt be reached. but as far as just being happy and having fur fun shouldnt cause you any problems. It's not like your going to the gatherings. It affects you in no direct way.

In a short way to put it, People should be allowed to be proud of who they are and show it, As long as they don't absolutely swarm you with what ever they like, Let them be in their own happy world. This is very similar to a flamboyant homosexual who is ridiculed for being...well... Gay.

Point well taken, I don't really have a lot to say back other than being a furry in itself isn't the issue, but rather the existence and practice of the lifestyle, which I hardly believe is even possible. Until, well...

*words with links to back them up*

Oh for fuck's sake Xort. Okay, okay, I can't dispute a single word you said, but you're arguing technicalities. Okay, so yeah, dictionary.com confirms that furry is indeed a lifestyle, but that's just not... I seriously doubt this is the argument THEY'D use. THE furry lifestyle isn't just "a" lifestyle if you know what I mean, I don't think that anyone who calls themself a furry lifestyler thinks of themselves so lowly as to just fulfill 3 requirements that makes almost anything a lifestyle, their personal definition is much more important and "unique."

Yeah, that last paragraph was pretty much a desperate attempt to regain ground, and while I don't have any evidence, I'm fairly certain it's right. The problem is, any one I have in direct contact that I could ask I either haven't talked to in a long, long time, or they hate me and PERMA RAGE QUIT.

Oh for fuck's sake Xort.

1287519132217.gif

Okay, okay, I can't dispute a single word you said, but you're arguing technicalities. Okay, so yeah, dictionary.com confirms that furry is indeed a lifestyle, but that's just not... I seriously doubt this is the argument THEY'D use. THE furry lifestyle isn't just "a" lifestyle if you know what I mean, I don't think that anyone who calls themself a furry lifestyler thinks of themselves so lowly as to just fulfill 3 requirements that makes almost anything a lifestyle, their personal definition is much more important and "unique."

Yeah, that last paragraph was pretty much a desperate attempt to regain ground, and while I don't have any evidence, I'm fairly certain it's right. The problem is, any one I have in direct contact that I could ask I either haven't talked to in a long, long time, or they hate me and PERMA RAGE QUIT.

Yes, I am arguing technicalities, but that's all I need to argue to be right :P

That's weirdly put. What if your friend was a furry? Would you stop hanging out with him/her? anyways...

I'm OK with it, but if he gets too furry, I'm just gonna tell him/her to stop

Yah same here ZM.I would get weireded out if this doesn't stop by the 4th day of fur-obssesion. Then I would stop hanging out with that person.

The furry fandom is just that, a fandom, a place where people who have an interest in anthropomorphic creatures called furries can share their interests with others through art, writing, role playing, fursuiting, conventions, etc.

When I think of it as a subculture, the question is: What would you define as a subculture? If it is a mass gathering of people with similar tastes, then this can apply to practically any club, organization, or group like Trekkies, WOW players, water polo enthuisiasts, etc.

Lifestyle seems to go beyond the whole sharing the interest of furries but extends into people becomming so wrapped up in their fursona that they choose to abandon much of their regular life.

Does the lifestyle mean they go to occasional furry bowling matches? No.

Does it mean dressing in a fursuit occasionally? No.

Does it mean suddenly abandoning all other friends for the simple reason of being "not furry" and refusing to do anything else socially except for furry activities. Yes.

"Because it's fun" is the lazy answer for those who aren't good at introspection.

I'm, to some extent, part of the furry subculture, although I wouldn't consider myself full-on furry, as I'm neither otherkin nor a fursuiter. However, I see the draw because I'm able to identify with a lot of the people there because, hey, it's a weird thing I have in common with people there that I don't have in common with nearly anyone else I know. It's a sense of community and belonging. Like a gang, only harmless and easy to make fun of. :P

Well, it could as be like being in a club or something too. OR, its like a....whatever it is called where you pretend or just simply believe in something , and you are IT. In this case, User like Furries and thats great-he also believes in something that is possibly sacred to him and he will thus believe and hold it dear to him. Possibly like someone getting attachted to something-like a gun, or a car or a boat/ship. It's hard to explain, and im not quite and expert in this field of social science. i could be wrong in some places...but what can i do? im not perfect ^_^

Good for you that you have fun in what you do! :yes:

People live a "furry lifestyle" for the same reason people live any other fantasy lifestyle:

It's Escapism. They feel that their real life sucks, so they make up an imaginary one where everything is perfect. The escapism can be coupled with denial as well.

I have an aunt who is like this. I don't think she is a furry, but she does spend almost every minute of every day in SecondLife (her avatar is human). She even purchased a cellular broadband account and a laptop so that she can use it at family gatherings and other away-from-home times. Needless to say this just further isolates her from the family and makes things worse. The reason she does it is escapism. She's not doing too well right now.

Oh, well. Living in a fantasy world is better than killing yourself.

Escapism isn't terrible in it's own right. I have some personal issues in my life right now, and I use things like SFO and TF2 as an escape from that. But I don't remove myself from reality. When one reaches that point, I think it is time to see a shrink.

I have an aunt who is like this. I don't think she is a furry, but she does spend almost every minute of every day in SecondLife (her avatar is human). She even purchased a cellular broadband account and a laptop so that she can use it at family gatherings and other away-from-home times. Needless to say this just further isolates her from the family and makes things worse. The reason she does it is escapism. She's not doing too well right now.

There is alot of assumptions there. It could be a case of games addiction. The real stuff, not the standard insult.

There is also the argument of 'real' world. In SL, all the people are real and the shops are paid for with real money. It's like saying Fira and Asper or Me and Milky are not a real couple because it's mostly internet based.

Also, escapism only goes so far (for me and a friend anyway) and eventually even that escapism stops being fun.

Back OT

People live a "furry lifestyle" for the same reason people live any other fantasy lifestyle:

I disagree here. Furry lifestylers have a real life. Similar to what I said about Second Life, the people, the places, the relationships, they are all real. I have some personal moments I won't share reguarding games. Just because you are saturated in a specific sub culture doesn't make it escapist.

In the original .hack book (I cant believe Im making this referecne) there is a guy who has his dream job as community manager in the fictional MMO, (and something I have seen with Warhammer fans so this does happen) 9-5 he's talking to people on the game, then instead of going home, he stays at work and talks to people on the game, until he passes out.

It's hard to explain in text without the chance of it being misinterprated.

There is alot of assumptions there. It could be a case of games addiction. The real stuff, not the standard insult.

There is also the argument of 'real' world. In SL, all the people are real and the shops are paid for with real money. It's like saying Fira and Asper or Me and Milky are not a real couple because it's mostly internet based.

Post of the YEAR. On topic, it seems a lot of different people have different ideas on what this is all about. Sabre has a point, it's not really escapism because it DOES become their real life. They work, get money, travel all over to go to cons and meets, and immerse themselves into it so deeply that they rarely think about ANYTHING ELSE. (Or at least is the case with our unnamed guy)Sure, I guess in a way that is a life style, but it's still kind of stupid IMO. I mean, what's the point and purpose? If it's not escapism, then what? WHY would they push themselves and devote to this one largely undefined thing (furry).

Post of the YEAR. On topic, it seems a lot of different people have different ideas on what this is all about. Sabre has a point, it's not really escapism because it DOES become their real life. They work, get money, travel all over to go to cons and meets, and immerse themselves into it so deeply that they rarely think about ANYTHING ELSE. (Or at least is the case with our unnamed guy)Sure, I guess in a way that is a life style, but it's still kind of stupid IMO. I mean, what's the point and purpose? If it's not escapism, then what? WHY would they push themselves and devote to this one largely undefined thing (furry).

Well, it would almost be like asking: "Why do you wear these kind of pants?" or "Why do you comb or not comb your hair this way?" Or "Why do you drive THAT specific car?" Its just what people want to do for their enjoyment, solace and many other things i can't currently name at the moment.

Oh, and i could also be benifitial by putting yourself in a different state of mind. By doing this, you are looking at life in a different point of view/perspective-it has you go through and percieve life in a differnt way, and this does actually help people some what.

Edited by Reynard

Well, it would almost be like asking: "Why do you wear these kind of pants?" or "Why do you comb or not comb your hair this way?" Or "Why do you drive THAT specific car?" Its just what people want to do for their enjoyment, solace and many other things i can't currently name at the moment.

No, not really. I wear the type of pants I do because they are comfortable and happen to be mine. I comb my hair (or don't rather) because that's how my routine has trained me to do so. I'd drive my car for similar reasons. Doing something purely for enjoyment isn't enough to explain this, because in that case, it becomes "obsession." Xort has proven that that is all that's needed, but there's more here. There's something else that separates furry life style from gamer lifestyle, for instance.

No, not really. I wear the type of pants I do because they are comfortable and happen to be mine. I comb my hair (or don't rather) because that's how my routine has trained me to do so. I'd drive my car for similar reasons. Doing something purely for enjoyment isn't enough to explain this, because in that case, it becomes "obsession." Xort has proven that that is all that's needed, but there's more here. There's something else that separates furry life style from gamer lifestyle, for instance.

Oh, okay..at least im trying right?

I mean, what's the point and purpose? If it's not escapism, then what? WHY would they push themselves and devote to this one largely undefined thing (furry).

Impossible for any one person to answer. Each person chooses to do it for different reasons, I would assume, so a blanket answer is very nearly impossible. However, if I had to guess, the majority would say something along the lines of "It's a group of people who do things that I am interested in, so I meet up with them and we do interesting things together."

You and I planned at one point to become pro Smashers. How is that any different than living a furry lifestyle? Instead of going to cons and shit, we'd save up money to go to tournaments and try to win a fighting game. Many people play professional paintball, which costs enormous sums of money to pull off - gear, guns, travel expenses, etc. - because they find enjoyment in meeting up with other people and pretending to kill them by painting them.

No, not really. I wear the type of pants I do because they are comfortable and happen to be mine. I comb my hair (or don't rather) because that's how my routine has trained me to do so. I'd drive my car for similar reasons. Doing something purely for enjoyment isn't enough to explain this. Xort has proven that that is all that's needed, but there's more here. There's something else that separates furry life style from gamer lifestyle, for instance.

No, not really. Nothing at all separates the furry lifestyle from the gamer lifestyle, when you boil it down. The only difference between the two is in how those who follow them do so. As a gamer, you can very easily play online, even though many games have tournaments in cities or what have you. As a furry, you can either spend your time posting on the Internet or you can fork over some cash to go to a con and meet up with other furries.

Really, of all the people here, you seem to be the only one who's pushing the idea that the furry lifestyle is something else, completely different from other lifestyles, when in reality it just isn't.

Impossible for any one person to answer. Each person chooses to do it for different reasons, I would assume, so a blanket answer is very nearly impossible. However, if I had to guess, the majority would say something along the lines of "It's a group of people who do things that I am interested in, so I meet up with them and we do interesting things together."

You and I planned at one point to become pro Smashers. How is that any different than living a furry lifestyle? Instead of going to cons and shit, we'd save up money to go to tournaments and try to win a fighting game. Many people play professional paintball, which costs enormous sums of money to pull off - gear, guns, travel expenses, etc. - because they find enjoyment in meeting up with other people and pretending to kill them by painting them.

User and I went over this. The difference is that in competing, there's purpose and drive. His LQ habits differ from furry solely by being an illegitimate occupation. It's something he/we/they are good at, and so they challenge others likewise to them for prizes, bragging rights, and the experience socially and in-game. Furry lifestyle has the core elements of that (seeing like people, getting the experience) but in the end, the two are only similar in technicality. A better thing to compare it to are trekkies or table top game meetings (D&D for instance) as those revolve more around imagination and roleplay. And, even then, I don't think they (some D&D players DEFINATELY do, though) consider it a lifestyle, expressly, which flows into this:

No, not really. Nothing at all separates the furry lifestyle from the gamer lifestyle, when you boil it down. The only difference between the two is in how those who follow them do so. As a gamer, you can very easily play online, even though many games have tournaments in cities or what have you. As a furry, you can either spend your time posting on the Internet or you can fork over some cash to go to a con and meet up with other furries.

Really, of all the people here, you seem to be the only one who's pushing the idea that the furry lifestyle is something else, completely different from other lifestyles, when in reality it just isn't.

I'd like to prove my case, but there's not a lot I can do about that without taking a painstakingly long time to go interview a dozen lifestylers. However, what I DO have for ammo is this; when you and I thought about being pro-Smash players, did you think of it as a defining center of who you were? Did you actively think "Oh boy, I'm changing my life for this" or "Here comes Xort, Newest member of the hardcore Super Smash Bros lifestyle?" I didn't, I thought "Woo, we're goona go play a fun videogame with able opponents! And get -money!-"

What this means is a lot of people in technical lifestyles don't actually think of it as a lifestyle. User is one of the better Laser Quest players out there, and even -he- just considers it a hobby, a time pass. Dif is the same way, though he's not as good t Smash as User is LQ. Using another particular example, I'm a furry, too, and I don't consider it as a lifestyle or any defining trait of mine, even if it technically is. What I'm getting at is the furry lifestylers I'm talking about with the friend User and I have, it's taken to the next level. They proclaim it themselves and literally base EVERYTHING around it. This may or may not include the furry who ONLY interacts online as their character, or go around in public with a tail, and more. I've only seen about 4 of these people, and one was on Encyclopedia Dramatica, so I may just be on a biased rampage here, but there IS a difference.

User and I went over this. The difference is that in competing, there's purpose and drive. His LQ habits differ from furry solely by being an illegitimate occupation. It's something he/we/they are good at, and so they challenge others likewise to them for prizes, bragging rights, and the experience socially and in-game. Furry lifestyle has the core elements of that (seeing like people, getting the experience) but in the end, the two are only similar in technicality. A better thing to compare it to are trekkies or table top game meetings (D&D for instance) as those revolve more around imagination and roleplay. And, even then, I don't think they (some D&D players DEFINATELY do, though) consider it a lifestyle, expressly, which flows into this:

There is a purpose and a drive in meeting up with other people who enjoy furry things. Whether you go to a con for the art, to listen to 2 rant about shit, or just to mingle with people who enjoy the same things you do, there is always a purpose. Also, in the same way that some D&D players don't consider it a lifestyle and others do, some furries consider it to be a lifestyle while others don't, such as you. I really don't quite see where you're trying to go with this point, honestly.

I'd like to prove my case, but there's not a lot I can do about that without taking a painstakingly long time to go interview a dozen lifestylers. However, what I DO have for ammo is this; when you and I thought about being pro-Smash players, did you think of it as a defining center of who you were? Did you actively think "Oh boy, I'm changing my life for this" or "Here comes Xort, Newest member of the hardcore Super Smash Bros lifestyle?" I didn't, I thought "Woo, we're goona go play a fun videogame with able opponents! And get -money!-"

Even if you do go out and interview a dozen lifestylers, that is a horribly small sample. To get a representative sample, you would need to interview all kinds of people, like thousands. That's just nitpicking, though. As to your other point, no, I didn't go in thinking that. There are some people that do, though, I am certain. In that same vein, I'm sure there's plenty of furries who did go into the lifestyle just to do it and say they were a part, but I'm also just as sure that plenty of them did it because they genuinely like furry things and want to be a part of all things anthro.

And as for the money part, you seem to have conveniently forgotten all of the porn sales at furcons. Artists can make a killing there if they're good enough.

What this means is a lot of people in technical lifestyles don't actually think of it as a lifestyle. User is one of the better Laser Quest players out there, and even -he- just considers it a hobby, a time pass. Dif is the same way, though he's not as good t Smash as User is LQ. Using another particular example, I'm a furry, too, and I don't consider it as a lifestyle or any defining trait of mine, even if it technically is. What I'm getting at is the furry lifestylers I'm talking about with the friend User and I have, it's taken to the next level. They proclaim it themselves and literally base EVERYTHING around it. This may or may not include the furry who ONLY interacts online as their character, or go around in public with a tail, and more. I've only seen about 4 of these people, and one was on Encyclopedia Dramatica, so I may just be on a biased rampage here, but there IS a difference.

And User is free to consider that shit a hobby, as is Dif and you. In any case, if they take it to the next level and base everything in their lives around it, then it is even more possible to define it as a lifestyle. If this friend has decided that his life will revolve around being furry, then it is most definitely the style of life that he has chosen to live - ergo, a lifestyle. I really don't quite understand what you're trying to do here, since all this shit is doing is strengthening the point that is is a lifestyle. We've established that fact, we've gone over purpose, we've gone over varying degrees of devotion, and I really don't see anything else to go over.

And yeah, it seems you are going on quite a biased rampage here. You failed to respond to my point of paintballers other than the blanket 'competition' card, which doesn't address the massive amounts of money they spend on rather fruitless competitions. Hell, between upgrading their guns, traveling all over the country, paying entry fees, and all that other shit, they probably devote more time and money than the average furry does to their lifestyle. Why not rampage about that? Seems to me you've just got a personal vendetta against furries.

A better thing to compare it to are trekkies or table top game meetings (D&D for instance) as those revolve more around imagination and roleplay. And, even then, I don't think they (some D&D players DEFINATELY do, though) consider it a lifestyle

Trekkies and D&D are fairly poor examples due to the lack of content and casual fans. To explain why I will use an example of a free to play MMO, I will have to pull stats out of my arse but you will get the idea. In a F2P MMO, only a small number (lets say 5%) of players pay for anything. However, in order for those paying fans to have a fun game to spend money on, the game needs a larger number of players. This is where the casual freeloaders come in. 95% of the world is just casual fans, but there exsistence gives the other 5% stuff to interact with.

With no new trek show, the MMO has no quests. With D&D, your maxium die hard-ness is limited to the weakest member of the group. eg. I would play board games once a week, but I can never get enough players that often. That's like the MMO only having the 5% of paying members.

With furry, or even TF2/Call of Duty clans, you have the dedicated clan members who have plenty of single player or casual players to fight against in between clan games. Most furries are not lifestylers, but it's the casual members that give the lifestylers something to feed off.

A friend of mine runs the Britfur club house in SL. He is passionate furry. He spends (again, guessing stats for sake of argument) 12 hours a day in the clubhouse. Most people only pop in for an hour or 2, but there is about 50 of those people so he always has someone to talk to in there.

My point is, D&D doesn't have that because you need the full party in order to play, and for trek there is nothing left to talk about so the casuals aren't around. I'd guess LQ is like Football in that there is always a tourniment going on somewhere?

There is a purpose and a drive in meeting up with other people who enjoy furry things. Whether you go to a con for the art, to listen to 2 rant about shit, or just to mingle with people who enjoy the same things you do, there is always a purpose. Also, in the same way that some D&D players don't consider it a lifestyle and others do, some furries consider it to be a lifestyle while others don't, such as you. I really don't quite see where you're trying to go with this point, honestly.

Where I was going with it was pointing out the difference between a lisestyle and lifestyler, one is a blanket term, the other is a person who has

If this friend has decided that his life will revolve around being furry, then it is most definitely the style of life that he has chosen to live - ergo, a lifestyle.

Even if you do go out and interview a dozen lifestylers, that is a horribly small sample. To get a representative sample, you would need to interview all kinds of people, like thousands. That's just nitpicking, though. As to your other point, no, I didn't go in thinking that. There are some people that do, though, I am certain. In that same vein, I'm sure there's plenty of furries who did go into the lifestyle just to do it and say they were a part, but I'm also just as sure that plenty of them did it because they genuinely like furry things and want to be a part of all things anthro.

And as for the money part, you seem to have conveniently forgotten all of the porn sales at furcons. Artists can make a killing there if they're good enough.

And User is free to consider that shit a hobby, as is Dif and you. In any case, if they take it to the next level and base everything in their lives around it, then it is even more possible to define it as a lifestyle. If this friend has decided that his life will revolve around being furry, then it is most definitely the style of life that he has chosen to live - ergo, a lifestyle. I really don't quite understand what you're trying to do here, since all this shit is doing is strengthening the point that is is a lifestyle. We've established that fact, we've gone over purpose, we've gone over varying degrees of devotion, and I really don't see anything else to go over.

edgeworth-strained%28a%29.gif

Okay, I see now. All this time I've been arguing that this furry lifestyler is actually going hardcore balls to the walls to style his life exclusively around furry stuff. FML.

And yeah, I -sorta- do. Maybe it's not so much a vendetta as it is that my favorite furry related thing to do is troll other furries.

This all said, my original question still stands unanswered. What is the purpose? I guess "because it's fun" may very well be valid, but surely there's more than that or it wouldn't be such a wide phenomenon? What IS the factual definition of "furry lifestyle."

This all said, my original question still stands unanswered. What is the purpose? I guess "because it's fun" may very well be valid, but surely there's more than that or it wouldn't be such a wide phenomenon? What IS the factual definition of "furry lifestyle."

As Weltzin said,

"Because it's fun" is the lazy answer for those who aren't good at introspection.

Like I said, if you ask all kinds of people who claim to live a furry lifestyle - and I mean really ask, as in dig deep and get them to tell you all the reasons behind it - it'll all boil down to enjoyment, although each person will likely have different reasons leading to that same base purpose. Again, it's impossible to really blanket an answer on this question because the only blanket answer one can possibly get is "Because it's fun." If you really want an answer, you're gonna have to sit down, ask a large sample of furries and do some deep psychoanalysis on their asses - something I'm quite sure nobody here has the time, inclination, or resources to do :P