TF2 Reserve slots (Get one or risk getting kicked))

DZComposer

A reserve slot ensures that you can connect to the server if it is full. It's great if you tend to show up fashionably late for the games.

NOTE: If you do not PM me, the system won't know you're an SFO member and may kick you if the server gets full. Getting a reserve slot is the only way to prevent it.

Requirements:

- Must be a member of SFO Forums

- Must be active in the community (new members: make some contributory posts for a few days before requesting reserve slots)

- PM DZ your numeric SteamID. Put "reserve slot" somewhere in your PM subject line. If you don't know it, you can find it on your stats page (note: you have to have played on the server to show up here): http://gaming.starfox-online.net/hlstats/hlstats.php?mode=players&game=tf

Eventually, there may be additional perks for people with reserve slots.

One thing I failed to mention: If you don't have a slot and the server is full, you may get kicked by the reserve slot system.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey, this thread is a little old, but would I qualify for a reserve slot? I don't believe I have one, but I haven't been kicked from the server in the midst of play yet. It just doesn't let me connect from time-to-time, and yes, I do often show up late for meets, but mainly because I don't get home until things are under way.

• 1 year later...

Reserve slots are no longer being used due to Valve banning servers from quickplay for using them.

Reserve slots are no longer being used due to Valve banning servers from quickplay for using them.

To how much of an extent? Over here on Pony Fortress 2 we have been getting quickplayers who have been popping up on our no-crits server Cloudsdale when they select the no-crit option.  Ditto with the other servers.

Modifications not allowed in quickplay

Certain server modifications are allowed for servers listed on the server browser and in the general server population, but not in quickplay. If your server has any of these modifications, it is incumbent on you to ensure that your server is not in the quickplay pool. The easiest way to remove your server from quickplay is to set tf_server_identity_disable_quickplay to 1. Any server in the quickplay pool found to be using these modifications will be considered malicious and banned.

Opening a MOTD window (hidden or visible) that is not requested

Forcing clients to view the MOTD until a timer has expired

Giving or selling gameplay advantage to players

Kicking players to make room for reserved slots

Modifying stock maps, models, or materials

Running non-default game modes: prop hunt, dodgeball, etc

Enforcing class limits

Browser popups

Granting or modifying economy items, or taking actions that devalue players' items, or interfering with the TF2 economy

I'm still pretty sure though that Valve's intention is going to go after the saigh.de and nighteam communities (among others I'm sure) of TF2 and aren't going to give a damn about communities that implement reserve slots.  Donations are an important part of many communities and reserve slot benefits are often amongst the most important for players.  Banning servers with something as trivial as reserve slots will do Valve more harm in the long run.  However, this is just my opinion.

Don't we also enforce class limits? I see that's also on the list.

I don't think removing the reserve slots is going to do us much harm because lately, it's been difficult to fill the servers with SF-Oers. I don't have a place in reserve slots, but often after scrim, I'll try and get in, but I need a reserve slot anyway, so the server might as well be full.