i

fox1235

Here in America, we have the 2 political parties. The Democrats(liberal) and Republicans(Conservative) I think there are a few independents in the House, but I'm not certain. I don't side with either because I feel their the same sometimes(although their always fighting and calling each other names). So, heres my belief on it, there should definatly be more parties in government. At least 4, I feel like theres no real choice.

Your thoughts?

Hmm. Well here's what I think. We have a 2-party system because it works. 4-party system will never work because we will always vote for one of 2 parties (usually D and R). We only have 1 or 2 independents in a Senate of 100 elected officials, so we can safely assume that the Independent party will not have a President in the future. I think that the 2 party system is good because we don't want to be a monarchy or a dictatorship (that's why America was established.) As for the fighting and name calling, you can blame the mainstream media for that. I would go on about what each party favors, but that's not what the topic says.

Here in America, we have the 2 political parties. The Democrats(liberal) and Republicans(Conservative) I think there are a few independents in the House, but I'm not certain. I don't side with either because I feel their the same sometimes(although their always fighting and calling each other names).

Really now? No offense but you should investigate the GOP and the Democrats a bit more then...as they are FAR apart and polarized on many issues.

So, heres my belief on it, there should definatly be more parties in government. At least 4, I feel like theres no real choice.

Agreed. Most every other developed democratic country has more than the "lesser of two evils" parties you can vote for. Having to vote for one or the other in this day and age is silly.

Hmm. Well here's what I think. We have a 2-party system because it works.

Over the last few elections though it's been quite the opposite. Having only two viable choices vastly limits the competition. The American public are fed up with having only competitive choices to vote for and as a result a lot of Americans don't even bother voting. One main reason the Republicans won a ton of seats in the midterm elections last year was not because people liked them, they just hated the democrats more at the time. Really...that's NOT how politics should work. :/

4-party system will never work because we will always vote for one of 2 parties (usually D and R).

Canadian politics were like this at one point. However now we have 5 main political parties that we can vote in and even though it's either the conservatives or liberals holding power the other parties, even though in a minority have most recently in the last few years have had enough seats to swing the balance of power. They can either side with the government to vote on certain issues or join the rest of the opposition (if the current government has a minority of seats) to form a coalition. Basically this means more checks on the government in power and that is a GREAT thing for democracy.

We only have 1 or 2 independents in a Senate of 100 elected officials, so we can safely assume that the Independent party will not have a President in the future. I think that the 2 party system is good because we don't want to be a monarchy or a dictatorship (that's why America was established.)

Dictatorship would only occur if there is one party true, but in all honesty the most political parties that actually have a shot at power you have the more truly democratic the process becomes.

And actually the founding fathers warned against political parties in general. Read up on what George Washington's viewpoints were on "the dangers of political parties".

"User" touched on this, but I think that not having any political parties at all would be the best course of action. That way, candidates are voted upon based on merit rather than on something superficial such as affiliation. I think a major reason the party system was created (didn't look it up before posting, so if I'm wrong, tell me) was so that the general public would have an easier time identifying with various candidates' platforms without having to know everything about them. Such a thing was good before the Information Age, but now that we can all easily do independent research, it is nothing but an excuse for laziness in voting. God forbid we know what our candidates did and what they stand for when we vote for them.

The American party system is fine when people use their heads and don't become party loyalist morons. American wouldn't work with a multiparty system because it utilizes "winner takes all" methods; by contrast most European nations the votes just determine percentage of active party members all around (eg every party gets represented, but parties with more votes get more influence due to more elected officials).

Every domocratic system has a problem. There's a saying that goes "It's not casting the votes, but how you count them"

It would take to long to go into the details. It will suffice to say that there are pros and cons to any system. Even if you had the perfect system, corruption can happen on the voting side. Ever heard of voting blocs?

Reguardless of what system or how many parties or how you count the votes, the main issue imo is corruption. In the UK, there is no one worth voting for as they are all the same. Some people get really indignant when someone says that, but it's the truth. When your only choice is between getting hit with a bat or hit with a stick, whatever you do you end up with sore ribs.

Every domocratic system has a problem. There's a saying that goes "It's not casting the votes, but how you count them"

It would take to long to go into the details. It will suffice to say that there are pros and cons to any system. Even if you had the perfect system, corruption can happen on the voting side. Ever heard of voting blocs?

Reguardless of what system or how many parties or how you count the votes, the main issue imo is corruption. In the UK, there is no one worth voting for as they are all the same. Some people get really indignant when someone says that, but it's the truth. When your only choice is between getting hit with a bat or hit with a stick, whatever you do you end up with sore ribs.

Actually, that reminds me of a good George Carlin quote. He's always topical when this kind of thing is mentioned.

"The public sucks. Fuck hope."

Heres other thing, I think America should return to the way were the candiate with the second most votes will become vice-presidents.

Sounds like you want it to be where there is a Democratic President and a Republican Vice-President and vice-versa.

I don't think we've ever really had that. I don't know. Am. Hist. is not my forte. That sounds like a bad idea tbh.

I think our Two-party system is okay....but sometime they just argue and disagree so much, that nothing EVER gets done. Unless it is related to terrorism, THEN everyone agrees immediatly. But on other matters? they need to agree with one another just alittle....

I think a lot of America is running on an outdated or broken system: not just political elections. I think the Democrats and Republicans need to both lose power for there to be other parties to join into the fray. Whether it be a Green Party, a Progressive Party, or a Libertarian Party. I don't think the Democrats and the Republicans should be eliminated mind you - I just think they need to get rid of their monopoly and their hold on American Politics. America is just too big of a country to have only two parties where a lot of us are actually in the gray area.