.-

Nova

Uhm... Did it ever cross your mind to ask me before doing this?

Eh, good idea, great intentions. However, next time, do ask us before doing something like this.

Since you are so kindhearted, topic won't be affected, no warnings or anything else. However, members themselves will have to accept this at their own risk :P

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you do know this is a kind of con right?

http://www.freakonomics.com/2008/12/16/an-all-pay-auction/

This is an example of what auction theorists call an “all-pay†auction, and it’s a game you want to avoid playing if you possibly can.

To anyone thinking of entering this DONT.

I repeat THIS IS A CON! If you want to "win" this then you are better off buying the game from steam yourself. Tytpically the 'winner' will pay 2 to 4 times the items worth, and any other bidders spend a similar amount for nothing.

EDIT- To clarify. To enter you have to donate, and as far as Im aware you can't 'un-donate'.

So, when someone bids (or donates in this case) has already paid they will keep bidding so they dont 'lose' money

For example, if there is a auction for £100, you would assume the bidding would stop at £100, but it doesn't, because second place man will have paid £99 for nothing, so he bids 101 to minamize his loss, then the 100 bidder is down £100 for nothing, and so bids 102 and so on.

You have people bidding higher and higher until eventually someone takes the hit, and is out of pocket for many times the items worth, for nothing.

If you still don't get it, let me play this out with me and bill. The game I should point out, is £5 on steam.

I bid (donate) 1

Bill bids 2

Me 3

Bill 4

Me 5

We have hit the items worth.

Bill now realising he is out of pocket by 4 with nothing to show for it, bids 6, that way he's only out 1

Now I'm in the same boat bill was in last turn. I bid 7

Bill bids 8

Me 9

Bill 10

We are at double the items worth. Now it's a battle of attrition. Who is willing to take the hit? At this point Bill could have bought the game for both of us.

In the con, the auctioneer (Nova) would take the cash, 19 so far, but in this case SFO is the profiteer. If you were donating anyway, the game would be a nice bonus, as an incentive it's almost criminal. Technically legal, but morally bad.

http://www.freakonom...ll-pay-auction/

I repeat THIS IS A CON! If you want to "win" this then you are better off buying the game from steam yourself. Tytpically the 'winner' will pay 2 to 4 times the items worth, and any other bidders spend a similar amount for nothing.

EDIT- To clarify. To enter you have to donate, and as far as Im aware you can't 'un-donate'.

So, when someone bids (or donates in this case) has already paid they will keep bidding so they dont 'lose' money

For example, if there is a auction for £100, you would assume the bidding would stop at £100, but it doesn't, because second place man will have paid £99 for nothing, so he bids 101 to minamize his loss, then the 100 bidder is down £100 for nothing, and so bids 102 and so on.

You have people bidding higher and higher until eventually someone takes the hit, and is out of pocket for many times the items worth, for nothing.

If you still don't get it, let me play this out with me and bill. The game I should point out, is £5 on steam.

I bid (donate) 1

Bill bids 2

Me 3

Bill 4

Me 5

Bill now realising he is out of pocket by 4 with nothing to show for it, bids 6, that way he's only out 1

Bill bids 8

Me 9

Bill 10

We are at double the items worth. Now it's a battle of attrition. Who is willing to take the hit? At this point Bill could have bought the game for both of us.

In the con, the auctioneer (Nova) would take the cash, 19 so far, but in this case SFO is the profiteer. If you were donating anyway, the game would be a nice bonus, as an incentive it's almost criminal. Technically legal, but morally bad.

This is if I was pocketing the money... Everyone should be donating to hosting costs regardless of the game prize or not. There is no banner adds on the site meaning DZ is paying anywhere from $30 to $100 a month for you furries to roleplay.

I was hoping for this to more generate attention about donating than the actual prize. Its only a $10 game but still only one person has to donate $1 to win it. You dont have to go on a bidding war for a $10 game....

i bid my very life and soul to this website. Game please.

http://www.freakonomics.com/2008/12/16/an-all-pay-auction/

I bid (donate) 1

Bill bids 2

Me 3

Bill 4

Me 5

Bill bids 8

Me 9

Bill 10

Yeah... He would see none of the money (and neither would I, all donations go straight to Dreamhost and are deducted from the bills they send me). It's not like people would gain nothing. Their money goes to help pay SFO hosting bills. SFO's web hosting benefits all members, so it really isn't a con-job.

Also, I wouldn't disclose how much people donate to anyone, so it really isn't like an auction at all.

If you want to find real examples of this kind of con-job, go look at Beezid and other penny auction sites. They're textbook examples.

I'm not fond of this idea for other reasons, though. Namely that I cannot 100% ensure that the game would be awarded, I have to take Nova at his word that he would do it. Also, those that don't have the cash to spare don't have a chance to win. I would suggest to him that if he wants to have a contest to give his game away, to make it not involve money. That way everyone has an equal chance at it.