Me v Charity

Sabre

Japan was hit with a natural dissater as you know. These things happen. What I want to talk about though is not the desaster but the attitude.

I'm not big on charity. Both giving and receiving. As such I'm no stranger to people trying to guilt me into doing stuff. However, why is it people fall into extremes, a black and white of opinion when grey exsists?

For example. So much as buying a back of crisps comes with implied, and in rare cases direct attempts at guilt. "Why are you spending 30p on sweets when you could be saving the Japanese!" but the other side are people who say things like "They still owe us for World War 2!" which is just as insane.

And then there are all those feel good, but completely useless charity events. It was only yesterday I learned that there is an American word "Slacktivism" which describes it perfectly imo.

I was watching a video on Youtube last night from SxEPhil and he was talking about Japan and how its just been constantly raped by the aftershocks and everything and he said how some people dont want to donate because of WWII, Etc... But he put it into the perspective of what if it was happening to you. Your country was completely devastated and theres so much problems going around that their actually running out of body bags to pick up the dead, I dont know about you but I'd really wish I could get some help. Just because a country was at war doesn't make the people in it bad. Even if Japan viewed americans as terrible people, When your dieing, I think you would take all the help you can get from anyone who will give it you.

A person in my class was pretty happy when it happened, he is one of the racists who believe Japan is out to take us out since WW2. He even believes that Nintendo steals there video game ideas (including Mario and Pokemon).

Geez...the way some people are being raised nowadays.

Anyways the situation is only going to get worse for Japan as the years go by. It's been like this since their ecomony suddenly starting going south about 20 years ago. Yen is at a 16 year high which hurts an exporting country like Japan. Add to that an aging AND declining population (yes, Japan has a negative population "growth") and a debt which is 200% of GDP, which is the 2nd highest worldwide (by comparison the U.S. debt is not even really close to 100% of GDP) and you do NOT have a bright future for Japan right now. The tsunami really couldn't have come at a worse time. :/

Donate or don't donate it doesn't really matter. think about this, will me donating 100,000,000 dollars to teh red cross make them more active in Japan? In we are all ready helping japan signifcantly with the red cross and other agincies being there.

when things like this happen i store all such thoughts in a chest in my brain and donate when i can, and help when i can. Thoughts like this only occure well after.

Japan was hit with a natural dissater as you know. These things happen. What I want to talk about though is not the desaster but the attitude.

I'm not big on charity. Both giving and receiving. As such I'm no stranger to people trying to guilt me into doing stuff. However, why is it people fall into extremes, a black and white of opinion when grey exsists?

For example. So much as buying a back of crisps comes with implied, and in rare cases direct attempts at guilt. "Why are you spending 30p on sweets when you could be saving the Japanese!" but the other side are people who say things like "They still owe us for World War 2!" which is just as insane.

And then there are all those feel good, but completely useless charity events. It was only yesterday I learned that there is an American word "Slacktivism" which describes it perfectly imo.

LOL. I don't donate,I pray.

LOL. I don't donate,I pray.

You do realize that most of Japan is either atheist, Shinto, or Buddhist, right? :P

A person in my class was pretty happy when it happened, he is one of the racists who believe Japan is out to take us out since WW2. He even believes that Nintendo steals there video game ideas (including Mario and Pokemon).

That person is made of FAIL.

Maybe they planned the earthquake at just such a time where the winds would blow all the radiation down to America. :trollface::facepalm:

As for charity, I think it's nice to give out of your own personal whatchamacallit, but being guilt tripped into it is giving for all the wrong reasons.

Maybe they planned the earthquake at just such a time where the winds would blow all the radiation down to America. :trollface::facepalm:

talk about a banzi...

That person is made of FAIL.

If pure fail could be a person, it would be that guy...

DISSAPOINT.jpg

I am dissapoint in whoever that person is. Being happy about the deaths of innocent people in a nation is sickening.