Roleplaying: a general inquiry.

Arashikage

For those of you who don't know what Roleplaying is, it's the interactive telling of a story, set in a world that the story tellers create. It's almost like writing a fanfiction, but instead of just one person calling all the shots, there's that level of excitement where anything can go any way. Now generally, when you're giving all the power out evenly to each player, there have to be certain rules, which are defined by the GM, the one person who has the final say in what goes down. The GM is almost always the person that comes up with the idea for the story, and posts the initial idea topic to see who wants in on the roleplay. There are also some rules that are mostly unspoken but go by the common sense law. Your character can't be completely Superman invincible, because this takes away from all of the drama, the tension. What fun is it if you are playing a game, and someone comes in with an aimbot, invincibility, and the ability to fly? Not very. In fact, I could imagine that the player wouldn't have as much fun without the challenge either, which is the general reason behind that rule. And the second common sense law is that you can't take control of another person's character. Nobody wants to post one final post for the night, go to bed, and find out that someone made their character jump into a volcano while they were asleep. Now there are a few exceptions to that last one, like if you get express permission from the person who owns the character.

Now with those out of the way, let's get down to the fun. Roleplaying is not just a great way to get away from it all, it's also a fun time, in a world completely defined by the players. It's like video gaming, but in a more customizable way. So long as it fits within the story's time period, if you can dream it, and it's feasible, you can do it. Not like most video games where you're limited by what the game's coding lets you do, Roleplaying is more open ended. On top of that, it helps you become a better writer. When you roleplay with other people, you can pick up on writing tips and tricks that that roleplayer uses. And it's not like you can just ignore every post either. Part of writing an interactive story is the interactivity. You play with others, you read their posts, and you can generally pick up descriptions, and techniques you wouldn't have known previously.

You might be asking why I decided to create this topic. Well, the main reason I decided to write this was because I've been with SFO for a year and a half now. I joined for general discussion of Star Fox, but ended up getting pulled into Roleplaying. Once I got there, I realized how much of a blast it was, there were plenty of people, plenty of characters to interact with, and an endless slew of possibilities. Since then(The summer of 2010), the site's RPing community has diminished to very little. There aren't as many posts being made in the RP section, there aren't many RPs active, and it's a very slow moving subforum. I want to know who here would be willing to try their hand, and give Roleplaying a shot. It would be greatly appreciated, and even if you don't want to roleplay, if you know someone who does, please, direct them here, we could use more people.

Don't miss out, join the fun!

• Like 2

My name is crazyfooinc and I SUPPORT THIS MESSAGE! :P Admittedly this is an interesting way to attempt recruitment of new RP'ers, Kage. I say bravo for your attempt and impressive wall of text! ^_^

Until the section becomes active again;

Untitled-1.jpg

I'm busy playing D&D, which actually adds structured combat to roleplaying. Much more fun that way.

However, it might be fun to start a forum D&D game. I'm currently participating in two campaigns right now, but I might be willing to run a very small-scale campaign as the GM if others are interested. It wouldn't be SF related, really, but in time me or someone else interested could probably homebrew it up and alter everything to be in the SF universe.

But yeah, I've never GMd before so if this does end up happening and I AM the one to head it, it won't be very in-depth and it probably wouldn't be able to include an asston of players. Maybe like 4 or 5 at the most. But yeah, that might be a decent way to revitalize the boards.

Or i could run a Warhammer 40k campaign that might sate the urge for science fiction many of our members have.

WE could always ahve a RPG board

I try to RP but I usually don't have enough time to be there consistently enough to do them the right way.

I'm busy playing D&D, which actually adds structured combat to roleplaying. Much more fun that way.

However, it might be fun to start a forum D&D game. I'm currently participating in two campaigns right now, but I might be willing to run a very small-scale campaign as the GM if others are interested. It wouldn't be SF related, really, but in time me or someone else interested could probably homebrew it up and alter everything to be in the SF universe.

But yeah, I've never GMd before so if this does end up happening and I AM the one to head it, it won't be very in-depth and it probably wouldn't be able to include an asston of players. Maybe like 4 or 5 at the most. But yeah, that might be a decent way to revitalize the boards.

The only real issue to this is that the people in your group need to be rather dedicated to RPing and having a sort of schedule to keep up with the game times, and be able to keep track of their characters abilities, limitations and all the glory that is maintaining a character. I think everyone on the site can do that easily, no doubt, but especially in a RP system like D&D, it's important to make sure your character 'stays' in character. That's true for all role playing, but especially true in D&D, as a lot of how you do things is on rolls. For example, some one with any character [outside D&D that is] that doesn't list a possible ability of great speaking, can instantly go and make them a great speaker, giving them the ability to make a very heart warming and inspiring speech. But in D&D, that is based off your Charisma and diplomacy [or other skill that might be put to use, like Rapport]. If you aren't high in either, meaning you haven't had training or read any books on it, you aren't going to do very well at it. Simple as that.

Basically, D&D can be a very structured form of RP, and is so, depending on who is running it. You just need to get players that can handle that.

Yeah, but that could totally also help several of the RPers here with the whole business of keeping in character. I dunno if anyone has issues with it, but I'm sure that if someone does a few horrible attempts at diplomacy by their Half-orf Barbarian will teach them real fast. And if it doesn't, they probably won't last very long anyway :P

Oh no doubt it would help people keep in character/learn to do so. Though it really only takes one or so people to make a role play end, for whatever reasons, so it'd not be the best to try and revitalize the section with D&D. At least, in my opinion that is. I can easily see it working both ways. No doubt that it'd be a great idea to try and add to the forums to give a bit more variety in choice, as well as inspire more creativity here.

A nice action packed RP is what we need. None of this bar QQing I see going on everywhere. I think I speak for plenty when I say we need to find a balance between action and character development. I've seen too many RPs go under due to little action, resulting in little interest.

A nice action packed RP is what we need. None of this bar QQing I see going on everywhere. I think I speak for plenty when I say we need to find a balance between action and character development. I've seen too many RPs go under due to little action, resulting in little interest.

Just so long as it remains to the rule of conduct and all, yeah, I can easily see that dragging in quite a few people. A lot of people really do like constant, or at least, stable amounts of action to look forward to in Role Plays. Just gotta get someone willing to run it, a good idea, and consistent players.

The thing about action RPs is that it's difficult to actually make engaging combat, seeing as if you don't want to die you end up not dying at all. There's no real stakes. An RPG like D&D, or as Ballistic suggested Warhammer 40K, make combat something you actually have to work at and try to win, and it's possible for you to lose and die if you don't focus on keeping yourself alive.

Of course, some people can pull off a good, action based RP without actual combat mechanics, and some prefer the safety of it all, but I personally don't see any appeal in combat where unplanned death isn't a possibility.

Warhammer isnt just Violence you know.

Depending on the game we run it can have anything from diplomacy, political intrigue, Or even gaining money. Perhaps if we ran the game with limited violence for a while for people to taste the tide?

Action is lame, BRING BACK A BELLE ET LA BETTE. Or however it's spelled. I'm talking to you Fluxy. D<

I actually made a post about that quite some time ago and -No one- ever really came back to make any note of it XD I'll gladly re open it, or something quite like it so long as I can get enough people involved/back involved!

Action is lame, BRING BACK A BELLE ET LA BETTE. Or however it's spelled. I'm talking to you Fluxy. D<

Dude, that shit was awesome. I'd get back into it if he brought it back.

Warhammer isnt just Violence you know.

Depending on the game we run it can have anything from diplomacy, politcal intrigue, Or even money. Perhaps if we ran the game with limited violence for a while for people to taste the tide?

Oh, of course there's more than just violence. I was just pointing out that the RPGs all have a structured combat system that makes combat more than just typing "I hit him." You actually have to fight.

But yeah, if anyone ends up running a campaign I'd totally enjoy a mix of all the elements of the game, not just combat. I've never GMed before, so I'd probably run a more high-action, combat oriented game just so I could learn the basics, but I'd very much like to play a game where we used more diplomacy and intrigue.

Even action like that, mystery is a great story teller. Actions speak louder than words, a good story balances them both. La belle et la bête was a very good example of a great story driven RP.

Indeed. FoxMcCloud and I are currently peer pressuring the hell out of him on Skype to bring it back.

I've always wanted to try my hand at RPing but, frankly, I've been a little intemadated thus far. I really want to give it a good go but i feal like i should be in one from the beginning

Out of curiosity, Ballistic, what edition of Warhammer do you run? I've never played it, so I might check out one of the books to see if I would be interested. Both D&D campaigns I'm in are with Milky, and he's not the most enthusiastic so we end up having to pressure him into a game sometimes :-P And I'd rather look at the edition I'd be playing, if I am going to be.

I've always wanted to try my hand at RPing but, frankly, I've been a little intemadated thus far. I really want to give it a good go but i feal like i should be in one from the beginning

Yeah, getting in one from the start is generally the best. I'm not gonna go about bashing the Complex, but in my own personal tastes I find it's horrible as far as RPing goes. Maybe okay just to dick around in, but nothing to get started in.

Naw man, just make a charecter and then a post, when someone talks to you, answer back. its that simple.

I have all three books plus suplements.

Dark heresy: Inquisitors

Rogue trader: space traders and pirates

Deathwatch Space marines.

Okay, Well, I don't have my old notes for it, but I can easily remake it. And I don't wanna get this thread too too off topic, so I guess I'll well, find someway to get people's opinion on whether they want to start it a new, or get a literal revival and all of it. We'd need all the original people though to get a full blown revival, unless I made some stupid or clever way to get the ones who aren't interested uninvolved anymore; Which I generally don't like doing.

I used to be a prolific RPer, but I've scaled down to personal RPs, just going back and forth with a friend. I've been fairly uninspired for plot as well.

Either way, I'd be up for a D&D styled RP. I've done some laid-back stuff with it, mostly with one of my buddies playing a rogue character in the most unroguelike way for the lulz.

Also thinking about recycling some old RPs I've done here. They mostly fell apart because people would ask to join then not post, or some such. If I could get some people I know that will be good for a long haul, I can come up with some pretty compelling stuff.

If anything new ever comes up I'd love to be involved.