Hope for Earth, an original FanFiction

Peter

This is a fanfiction set a few months after Star Fox Assault. I have been working on this story and posting it to FanFicton.net, but I've decided I'll share some of it here as well, as I go along. The first few chapters aren't all that great, it gets better later. A few swears here and there, the really bad ones I'll use asterisks for. Not a ton of romance. If you want to read more of it, here's the link to the rest, but remember I'll be posting it here as well.http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7813079/1/Hope_for_Earth

Hope for Earth

Chapter 1

Fox woke up to his alarm clock, which was screaming the good-morning greeting of Bryan, the 95.9FM DJ. “Hey there, people of Corneria! Its 7:00 and you know what THAT means! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!â€

“Dammit, I hate that guy,†Fox muttered as he shut off the alarm clock. He sat in bed and thought about the Aparoid War, how he almost lost his mentor, best friend, and father figure, Peppy Hare just 2 months before. He decided to go get some breakfast in the Great Fox kitchen, then go work out. He got out of bed and stretched, and got ready to start the day.

“So, Foxie, you think you can best me? Think AGAIN!†Falco jested as they sparred. Fox had the short rope as it was with Falco’s agility, so he focused on dodging Falco’s punches, then hitting the weak spot. “I think NOT!†Fox yelled as he hit Falco in the beak with a left hook. Falco stumbled backwards into a punching bag dummy. Fox then jumped on him, pinned his arms down, and said “I guess your ego got the best of you for the third day in a row, birdbrain.â€

“Whoa, man. You know that I should’ve won yesterday, if Slippy didn’t come in and bump into me with those stupid night-vision goggles he was trying to build.†Falco retorted. “Yeah, well, uh…†Fox drew a blank. The avian did have a point there. “Fine, I guess I shouldn’t have won. But I’m sure something will distract me sometime, and you’ll get a slightly unfair win. Let’s not focus on the past, shall we?†Fox remarked. “Good job today. You’d beat anyone in hand-to hand combat… except me.†He then walked away to go check on the ventilation systems on the Great Fox II. Slippy had been working on them for 3 days now, but they had been malfunctioning, which was why they had to dock at the Corneria Military Base. He walked on to the bridge and said to ROB 64, “How are the ventilation systems doing?â€

“Good morning Fox. The ship’s ventilator is still leaking, estimated time of repair with help of Cornerian Engineer Corps, 5 days.â€

5 days! He’s got to be kidding. Fox just shrugged it off and went off the ship. He then decided seek out General Pepper by himself to see if there were new bounties available. Falco was recovering from his loss, Slippy was still trying to fix the ship, and Krystal was out helping with disaster relief. Fox then thought of all the destruction that the Aparoids had inflicted on Corneria City. ‘I can’t blame her,’ he thought to himself. She always had a soft spot for people in need, ever since her home planet of Cerinia was destroyed. Then he thought of Peppy in his office. “I’ll go visit him in his office! I forgot that he’s retired now,†he mused to himself.

Fox went to the front desk and said to the young Shih Tzu behind it, “What floor is Major General Peppy Hare on, miss?â€

“Floor 357, same as General Pepper. Have a nice day, Mr. McCloud.†She said with a smile.

Fox made it to the elevator. He pressed the button 357, and the elevator’s AI said, “Floor 357. Going up.†The doors closed and then Fox had some quiet time to himself. ‘Man, this place is bigger than I thought. Last time I visited this place was after I defeated Andross nine years ago… wow, seems so long now.’ He said inside his head. The elevator then dinged, and he walked into the adjacent facing office. The plate on the door said ‘MAJOR GENERAL PEPPY HARE’. “This must be him. He’ll be happy to see meâ€, Fox said. He took a deep breath and walked into his old friend’s office.

“FOX MY BOY! I’M SO GLAD TO SEE YA!†Peppy almost yelled. “Good to see you too, Peppy. How’s your new line of work treating you?†Fox asked. “Do you want the truth?†Peppy asked. Fox cocked an eyebrow and said, “OK, sure.†Peppy then replied in a low tone of voice, “It sucks, and I’d much rather be back on the Great Fox with you and the rest of the team.†Fox figured that he wouldn’t like it at first, but after at least 2 or 3 weeks, he’d learn to like it. But, maybe he just wasn’t general material. “Fox? What are ya thinking about?†Peppy pulled Fox out of his trance. “I’m just worried that maybe you should actually retire, and not take an office job. You’re not happy here. Maybe you could live on the Great Fox with everyone. This doesn’t seem too nice of a place anyways.†Fox replied. “You know, I’d love to and I wish I could, but I kind of have some plans in place.†Peppy said back to Fox. “What kind of plans are we talking about here?†Fox immediately thought about Peppy surpassing General Pepper. “Not what you think, son. I only took this job because I’d been hearing rumors about the return of Andross. They’re saying that he’s in a conflict with a planet called Earth and has almost wiped them out. I want to feed you information as it becomes avai-“

“WHAT! How the hell?! Andross is back!? I made him explode. TWICE!†Fox cut off Peppy as he spoke. “That’s impossible! There’s no wa-

This time, it was Peppy’s turn to interrupt in a stern but kind tone. “I don’t know about this for sure either and I don’t know how it could happen, just bear with me as I hear more about it. If you were just visiting me and you’re on your way to Pepper, I said nothing. You following me?†he said. “Okay, I understand. Thanks for talking Peppy.†Fox gave his friend a hug and walked out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“OH S**T, MORE ALIENS!†Private First Class Ben Duncan screamed out to the remnants of his platoon. There had been 24 of them, reduced to 4 in just 45 minutes. “HOLD THE LINE, HOLD THE F***ING LINE!†His platoon Sergeant Briggs cried out. It was a miracle he was still standing and firing his weapon. He had multiple laser wounds to his left shoulder, left leg, and right eye. They fired from behind the barricade at anything that moved. Venomian soldiers fell left and right, but 4 against well over 150 were not good odds. “Oh, dammit! They’re closing on all sides. RUN!†The wounded Corporal Manchester yelled over the weapon fire. “GO! GO! GO!†the ape- men shooting at the 4 soldiers were indeed closing in. They ran through Lincoln Park. “There’s going to be an Osprey waiting in Lake View for any survivors. If we have a chance of making it, we need to be there in- AAH!â€

Sergeant Briggs had been shot through the chest, and Manchester was nowhere to be found. He must have been shot while making a run for it. It was just Duncan and his worst enemy in the platoon, Corporal James Harrington. Duncan kept running with the newly in command Corporal. He then said, “I know we haven’t liked each other since the Academy, but we need to work together, just this once, James, if we want to live.†He extended a hand.

Corporal Harrington took his hand for a brief moment, then released it. “I’m way ahead of you, brother.†It was then that they stopped firing back at the enemy. They took off their bulletproof vests, dropped their weapons, and booked it as fast as they could in the other direction.

That's the first chapter. I'll post another one each day.

Welcome to SFO!

This bears many classic marks of a "my first fanfic"

First things first:

20021223_05_mistake.gif

Formatting

SFO's topics and FF.net's story formatting is slightly different; you can't just copypasta your way straight from one to the other. You kind of have to make line breaks manually when putting them in the forum topics here. Not doing this will transform even the humblest collection of words into an impenetrable wall of text.

Even so, I checked this on FF.net, where the are handy line breaks, and found some other formatting issues: another thing you need to think about is separate paragraphs for separate characters' dialogue. When you have two bits of dialogue sharing the same block of text, that tells the reader that those two bits of dialogue are coming from the same character. If two separate characters are using the same block of text, it does nothing but confuse.

I haven't read much of the story yet, but I will say this: making a believable human x Lylat setting is next to impossible to do with any success. I have read one, and only one, single SF fanfic that was able to pull this off. The reason for this doesn't have so much to do with personal taste as it does with the notoriously complex implications it entails. The world of Star Fox and the world we live in have occupied their own universes and done just fine on their own. If there is some kind of contact, that needs to be a big deal, for both sides. Far too often have fanficers just thrown it all to the wind just to get the humans and Lylatins together to kick some ass or what have you.

That's what I got so far.

If you want anything more, you can find me on FF.net, or use the PM system on this site.

Hey, thanks for the review. I followed the format you gave me with adding a new paragraph every time there is dialogue from another character. But, I couldn't get it to use indentation correctly. Here it is;

Hope for Earth

Chapter 2

Fox walked out of the Cornerian Military Base. He was disappointed that General Pepper had nothing better for him to do than run patrols over Katina and Fortuna. He sighed, and walked back onto the Great Fox II. Falco immediately met him there.

"So, any more new missions?"

"Nothing exciting. Unless you want to want to go sit on Fortuna and Katina, patrolling." Fox replied.

Falco muttered something that sounded like "unbelievable" and walked away.

Fox was working with Slippy on the engine. He wasn't really paying attention though, and heard Slippy say,

"FOX, WATCH IT!"

Alas, Fox was too busy thinking about what Peppy had said. He couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that Andross had been badly beaten twice, and he still wasn't dead. It made him think about Andrew Oikonny, one of the first casualties in the Aparoid War. He wondered if maybe he was still alive… All he said was, “Oh, sorry Slippy,†and continued on his work. Then, Krystal walked in.

"Fox? Are you alright?" It was Krystal. She had a worried expression on his face.

"Hello, Krystal. Yeah, I'm fine. What are you doing in the engine room?" Fox said back, trying to keep his mind off Andross, as Krystal was a telepath.

"Oh, I'm sorry. You seemed troubled, that was all. I'll leave now." She turned around and walked away.

"Hey Krystal-" Fox stopped as she was so far away now she couldn't hear him beckoning to come back.

As Krystal was walking back to her room, she wondered; 'Why was Fox thinking about G-Zero racing? I felt fear emanating from him. He must be trying to hide something,' she concluded. She would ask about it later. For now, she needed some sleep. She was out since 5:30 AM when they called her in to the community center. There were some kits that had lost both their parents in an accident. Apparently there was a building that the Cornerian Government deemed safe to inhabit after the Aparoid attack, but it fell down after all the damage to it and the extra stress from the refugees packed into it. 320 people had died. 'Such horrible destruction. Even after the threat is gone.' She started to cry. About 5 minutes into this, Fox walked into her room.

"Hey, sorry for shrugging you off earlier, I was just thinking-" He stopped there when he saw her condition. "Are you okay?" Fox said with a

concerned look.

"The Aparoids are horrible. I hate them. Why did they try to destroy the entire galaxy because of their selfish ideals?" She was sobbing harder than ever now.

"I don't know, but they're gone now. Don't worry. Everyone is safe now." Fox replied with a smile on his face. "Now, I just got some mission offers from General Pepper. He wants us to run some patrols on Fortuna and Katina. It'll take your mind off it." Krystal felt heart warmed because of his caring manner.

"OK, that sounds alright." She stopped crying. "Thanks, Fox." Fox didn't really know what to say but,

"Yeah, no prob. I'm going to go tell everyone else we're going." He walked out.

Panther Caroso was in a daze. He was shot down inside the Aparoid home world. He knew that Fox had accomplished his mission, which was why he was floating in space on a piece of debris. He had hoped that Wolf and Leon made it out OK. He only had 2 days' worth of food left in his Wolfen III, and knew he would die if he didn't get help soon. He was floating towards a blue and green planet, with many fresh craters on its surface. He then saw the Venomian cruisers surrounding the planet. "No…" was all he managed to say before the still-working communications device in his Wolfen beeped.

"This is the New Venomian Army. Identify yourself and surrender or we will blow you out of the sky. You have 10 seconds." Panther scrambled to the communicator.

"This is Panther Caroso of Star Wolf, I survived the explosion of the Aparoid home world. I am requesting assistance, over." The cruiser immediately responded,

"Star Wolf? We thought you were dead! Where are Wolf and Leon? There’s a bounty on their heads, and this ship is planning on collecting it." Panther felt some sadness for his possibly dead teammates.

"I don't know, but I hope they made it out." The ape sounded disappointed. "Oh, we were just looking forward to getting our former merc team back; one way or another. Are Pigma and Oikonny dead?" Panther had a quick flashback of Wolf kicking Pigma off the team and Oikonny leaving.

"As far as I know, they are." Was all he said. "Reel me in. I'm hungry." The cruiser then turned on its tractor beam and took him into the hangar.

"Keep running, Duncan! We can't stop now!" Harrington cried out as he jumped over a stray laser.

"There's the Osprey, James!" Ben screamed.

"Alright, let's get there! And you can call me Jimmy!" Harrington replied. They jumped onto the Osprey and Jimmy yelled, "They're right behind us! FLOOR IT!" Then, they jumped in surprise. It was the President of the United States, sitting on a seat. Ben whispered to Jimmy,

"Is that Obama?" Jimmy responded,

"Yeah. Let's ask him what he's doing here." "Uh, Mr. President? This is a military vehicle. What are you, uh, doing here?" Jimmy creaked.

"Hello, gentlemen. I have an answer to your question. This is all that remains of our mighty army and air force, these mysterious ape-men have decimated everything. And YOU are all that remains of the entire US Marine Corps,†said the president.

"What? You mean, EVERYTHING is gone?" Ben asked.

"Yes. And I need you to be the saviors of this planet," the president said. Jimmy put on a puzzled look.

"Did you say, SAVIORS? We're just two men against 15 million." The president replied,

"We have gathered together with Iran and China, and built a long range communications system. We found a galaxy called Lylat and made contact with a planet called Corneria. We had a short conversation. These aliens that we contacted are much like the animals on this planet, but can walk, talk, and are much more technologically advanced than us. We learned that this is where the apes came from. They are led by a figure called Andross, a mad scientist from a planet called Venom. He has been defeated many times by a famous mercenary unit called Star Fox; they are the only ones who know how to defeat him. This... Corneria is sending us a space ship, which is where you two come in. We need you two to go to Corneria and help Star Fox defeat the scourge that is ravaging our planet." Ben and Jimmy stood with their mouths open.

"You've got to be kidding me. What the hell?" Jimmy said all of a sudden. The president simply replied,

"I am telling the truth and I will show you once we get to my bunker in Detroit. We're almost there." Silence ensued. Then the pilot screamed.

"AAH! IT'S AN EMP! WE'RE LOSING ALTITUDE! GRAB ONTO SOMET-"He abruptly stopped yelling, and everything went black.

Mysterious, hmm? I always try to end a chapter with a cliff hanger. Please review, I welcome constructive criticism.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...