Racing RP

Gene Inari

RP Name/Title: Shift

Style: Forum

Theme: Intense, side-by-side racing

Setting: Various tracks and racer hangouts

Description: Players test their skills and their cars in contests of speed and precision and mind games against one another for the #1 spot.

Goal: To complete races and have have drivers develop their skills and trick out their rides.

Player count: 5 minimum, no upper cap. Late entry allowed.

I've been wanting to do a racing styled RP for a long time, but I could never figure out a way to do it right. Right now I have a system in the works and will have a draft up soon that will hopefully encourage aggressive plays and keep things fair. For the sake of consistency and my own personal bias: Anthros only! Also, just show your interest for now. A system for your character bios and picking cars for you to start with and the like may also be in the works, so dun expect being to roll into rookie races with a supercar of any kind.

I'm also stressing RPG elements in this. Winning races are an obvious form of advancement, but participating will come with it's own gains too that the winners just won't get.

Stay tuned and revved up!

• Like 1

This actually seems like quite a unique take on the traditional RP style; the minute you mentioned automobiles was the minute you also piqued my interest as well. :P

Here are some things I have in store for this hi-speed, white-knuckle RP:

• Driver stats (Character Bio + Driving Record!)
  • Vehicle/Tuning stats
  • Money (For Antes, Bets, Parts, New Cars!)
  • System for negotiating the track
  • System for passing/blocking each other (Head to head!)
  • A "bonus" system ala some sort of NFS-like Speedbreaker (Makin' the moves!)
  • Off-track Interactions (Plot!)
  • On-track and Off-track bonus events (Cool stuff!)

I will probably release these bits as I work them out. Driver stats will probably be first, so everyone can get to getting their bios down.

First things first. Here are the stats I will be using for this RP:

Driver Skills:

• Overtaking – Your ability to negotiate around and past opponents on either straightaways or turns. Essential for moving up the field.
  • Blocking – Your ability to make your car 'wide,' making passes around you more difficult. Essential for protecting your position, especially in Togue.
  • Straight Line Stability/Throttle Control – Your ability to keep your car stable at high speeds. Essential for long straights and drag racing.
  • Braking – your ability to apply brakes efficiently to prevent loss of control. Essential for entering turns quickly and drifting.
  • Cornering – Your ability to take turns smoothly and apexing corners skillfully. Essential for complex courses.
  • Pressure – Your ability to stay close to an opponent and forcing them to make a mistake.
  • Nerve – Your ability to stay calm and cool. Essential for resisting pressure.

Car Tuning:

• Engine – Air Intakes, Exhausts, Camshaft, Valve Trains, Block/Lower End, Fuel Delivery – Injection, Flywheels. All parts for increasing the raw horsepower in your ride. Assists in Overtaking
  • Drivetrain – Clutch, Differential, Transmissions. Putting that power to your wheels. Assists in Straight Line Stability/Throttle Contol
  • Forced Induction – Superchargers, Turbos. Pulling more air into the engine and thus more power. Assists Blocking
  • Suspension – Springs, Shocks, Weight Reduction, Bodykits. Assists Cornering.
  • Brakes – Rotors, Calipers. The stopping power of your car. Assists Braking.
  • Tires – Where your car meets the road. Assists Cornering
  • Nitrous – Increasing engine power in bursts by increasing the amount of fuel burned. Assists anywhere.

Character sheets:

Name:

Race/Species:

Sex:

Personality:

Background:

Level:

Abilities/Traits: (Traits will be revealed later)

Money:

Items:

Vehicle Sheet:

Manufacturer:

Make/Model:

Year:

Level:

Tunings:

Value (Stock):

Value (Upgraded):

Value (Resale):

I'm in. This looks cool, and a good way to put out some new character ideas I've been knocking around.

Traits for characters to pick out to start with. Also gonna give peoples $50,000 to start with.

• Big Name Starter: +1 to Pressure
    OR
    Cool Credentials: +1 to Nerve

• King of the Mountain: +1 to Braking
    OR
    Drives Sideways: +1 to Cornering
    OR
    Running the Strip: +1 to Straight Line Stability

• Lead Foot: +1 to Overtaking
    OR
    Stone Wall: +1 to Blocking

• Shift Sense: +1 Free Skill
    OR
    Money to Burn: Extra $10,000 and +1 Tune Point

• Gearhead: +1 to Engine
    OR
    Drives Stick: +1 to Drivetrain
    OR
    Bigger is Better: +1 to Forced Induction
    OR
    Low Rider: +1 to Suspension
    OR
    Hot on the Hooks: +1 to Brakes
    OR
    Slick: +1 to Tires
    OR
    Has “Go Fast†Button: +1 to Nitrous

So an example character sheet would look like this:

Name: Keaton Thorn

Race/Species: Coywolf

Sex: Female

Personality: ---

Background: ---

Level: 1

Abilities/Traits: Big Name Starter, Running the Strip, Lead Foot, Gearhead, Money to Burn

Money: 60000

Items: ---

Stats: Overtaking I

Blocking

Straight Line Stability/Throttle Control I

Braking

Cornering

Pressure I

Nerve

For those curious on whether this is going to be like serious racing or street, it's a bit of both.

I'm going for a "Pro Street" feel, like this:

So DJs, sanctioned tracks, people have 'street' backgrounds, all that goodness.

My dear Inari, this has certainly gotten my attention. Quick question, what does "+1 free skill" mean regarding Shift Sense?

And for the background, this is called rally racing, no?

Alright I guess I'll join

And Fedora, Rally racing is a bit different. If this is a circuit, it can't be rally, no staggard starts, no competing for time. This is more side by side racing, I'd call it street racing.

I'm going for a "Pro Street" feel, like this:

So DJs, sanctioned tracks, people have 'street' backgrounds, all that goodness.

I'm liking this concept more and more. Prostreet is my favorite of the newer NFS games. Very cool, stylized, graffiti-inspired design, and slightly NFS Underground feel.

My dear Inari, this has certainly gotten my attention. Quick question, what does "+1 free skill" mean regarding Shift Sense?

It's one extra point to put in any of the following: Overtaking, Blocking, Straight Line Stability/Throttle Control, Braking, Cornering,Pressure, Nerve. I've gone on a bit on each in an earlier post.

The info here is incomplete. It's here to tease and get people in. Once I get enough people for approval. I'll have everything out in a comprehensive post.

Once I get enough people for approval.

If the interest you've already garnered happens to stick around, you've already got your approval as far as I'm concerned. :P

[Approved]

I might join in on Friday, since I will take today off.

I'll join if I can. It looks very interesting. It's just that I know VERY little 'bout carsand "tuning" and all that. :|

I'll get to work.