What do you think of Windows 8?

Wolf O'Donnell

I know I recently posted in the Windows 8 SecureBoot thread, but I am wondering what everyone thinks of Windows 8?

I have the Release Preview installed on another computer, and I don't think that it's so bad...

I will elaborate later, if that is alright.

But what do you think?

I think it is downright odd; why would you put in a tablet/touch optimized interface if Windows 8 is being offered on prebuilt laptops and desktops? Why take out the start button? Why, what, where, and how? Those will be the biggest questions once the general public gets their hands on it; it is overly complex to the seasoned Windows user, backwards, unintuitive, and unnecessary.

The idea behind it is interesting, but for my use, I'm better off with Windows 7 at best. I also don't like the restrictive things that come along with it. Hence my thread.

It gets far more hate than it deserves. The only major gripe that I hear from people is the removal of the Start menu. While I think it's a stupid move by Microsoft, it's blown way out of proportion. It only took me a few minutes to learn and get used to and it's just as effecient as the Start menu. The Start menu was first used in Windows 95 which was 17 years ago. So taking a few minutes (10 minutes tops) to learn a new Windows feature every 17 years isn't bad at all. Other than that Windows 8 is a very fast OS. It took my computer only around 10 seconds to go from the BIOS flash to the desktop. Everything ran extremely well and stable which is impressive being that it's still in beta stage. I'm intrested to see how successful it is when it's released.

• Like 1

What do I think about Windows 8? It's Windows ME quality software made for PCs but designed for tablets. Also where dafuq is my Start button.

How+About+No.jpg?1307079577

• Like 2

What do I think about Windows 8? It's Windows ME quality software

I can understand what you mean by the Start menu and the fact that Windows 8 is geared for tablets, but care to explain how it's Windows ME quality? Windows ME was an unstable piece of trash. Windows 8 is extremely reliable and fast. It was for me and I hear that it's been the same for a lot of other people as well.

It gets far more hate than it deserves. The only major gripe that I hear from people is the removal of the Start menu. While I think it's a stupid move by Microsoft, it's blown way out of proportion. It only took me a few minutes to learn and get used to and it's just as effecient as the Start menu. The Start menu was first used in Windows 95 which was 17 years ago. So taking a few minutes (10 minutes tops) to learn a new Windows feature every 17 years isn't bad at all. Other than that Windows 8 is a very fast OS. It took my computer only around 10 seconds to go from the BIOS flash to the desktop. Everything ran extremely well and stable which is impressive being that it's still in beta stage. I'm intrested to see how successful it is when it's released.

Yes, I don't really see why a lot of people hate the Start Screen. It still has instant search, pinning, but also better screen estate, live tiles, item categories, etc.

If I had my way, the Windows 95 Start Menu would still be in Windows 7. ^_^ But that's just me.

Anyway, I like the Start Screen because I shudder when I see the Windows Vista-style Start Menu cramped in that little corner on high resolution display monitors...

The problem is mostly the Metro UI.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/windows-8s-competing-interfaces-will-double-your-effort-halve-your-fun

http://www.techbroil.com/2012/06/windows-8-sucks.html

http://readmystuff.wordpress.com/2012/03/07/windows-8-still-sucks-a-look-at-it-after-the-consumer-preview/