hoo

Android or Apple?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the Android or Apple smartphone OS?

• Android
    • Apple
    • Other (Windows, Blackberry, 90's cell phones, etc.)
  2. 2. Which one do you have?

• Android
    • Apple
    • Other (Windows, Blackberry, 90's cell phones, etc.)
    • None.

I'm a guy who uses his smartphone a lot, and I've been wondering something...

Which OS of phone do you prefer, and which one do you have?

For me, I'm much more of an Android kind of guy. Android has tons more customization than Apple, you can download apps out of a web browser, and you can totally tweak it up to the point where it fits you best. But of course, if I was the kind of guy that just wanted it for the basics, (calling, texting, etc.) I would get Apple due to it's look and feel.

But then again, that's just me. What do you prefer?

xoUOQv5.png

Still don't regret it.

• Like 6

I use Iphone. Mainly because all my songs/apps are from the app store so in a matter of speaking, I'm stuck (For now anyway)

Although I've used the OS for android and I'm not a big fan of it. Granted I'll get use to it, but it's just not my cup of tea.

I use android. I can't stand all the bullshit that goes along with iOS, and I find Android much easier to use.

You could always combine the best of both worlds; Android with the durability, aesthetics, and ridiculously long battery life of a 1990s cell phone.  Behold, the Sonim XP7 and XP6.  The XP6 is on AT&T's network in the US, but I hope that the XP7 joins it soon as it'll be cheaper subsidized by a carrier than buying unlocked.  I like to text message and find that the larger touchscreen would facilitate that better.  I do appreciate the physical keyboard of the XP6 though, and both phones have 4800MA batteries.  Both work with gloves and under extreme operating conditions, though a slightly better camera than 8MP (on the XP7, 5MP on the XP6) would be great.

img1078.jpg

sonim-xp7.jpg

• Like 1

Fuck Apple and their iOS, Android is the only way to be. I like to actually use my devices for something other than Twitter, thank you.

Crazy, how did I know you were going to bring up the Sonim XP line?  It's like you have stock in that company or something XP

• Like 1

The few times I'd manage to touch iOS were meh. Android served my expectations of a smartphone better even though I'm not so big into the hype of the thing.

Sorry Steve.

I have tried both. Not the Smartphone versions though. I had an old Ipod Touch till it broke and an old Android mini tablet that I can't find the charger for.

I definitely enjoyed the Android OS more than the Ipod one.

As for the second question. I don't have a smartphone, since i'm dirt poor and can't afford a plan and I can't even afford the thing in the first place.

I'll be the one that comes out and says that they can't stand smartphones in general. No joke, the only reason I need one is to check email on the go, which I can't do with a flip phone without paying some ridiculously high added cost for apparently.

• Like 1

Crazy, how did I know you were going to bring up the Sonim XP line?  It's like you have stock in that company or something XP

I had to; they're probably the only two of their kind sold in the US.  My current smartphone took nearly three minutes to start up (as opposed to less than ten seconds at standard temperature) and refused to make calls on a recent winter night due to how cold it was.  Not to mention its battery lasts a whole seven hours and a drop would probably destroy any semblance of functionality.  I'd rather not take those chances if an emergency circumstance rolls around. :-P

I do appreciate the physical keyboard of the XP6 though.

Oh man physical keyboards. there needs to be like a touchscreen phone with a slide out physical keyboard because freaking on screen ones are always too small or take up too much of the screen space.

• Like 2

I prefer apple. I use windows on my computer, and I prefer it to apple stuff, but when it comes to phones, I prefer apple for it's smooth feel. I've had an iPod touch 4th gen for years and it still works perfectly, except for a slightly shortened battery life and the fact that it no longer receives iOS updates, but that's okay, because I like the old iOS better. Also, I've spilled it in a bowl of cereal around three or four times over the years and the only thing that done was make the speakers slightly more quiet.

I'd rather not take those chances if an emergency circumstance rolls around. :-P

If a big enough emergency rolls around we won't be using cell phones, but instead you'll wanna invest in one of these:

Q2V1eLa.jpg

My Baofeng radio can make communications across two bands, plus I can listen to the FM radio on it.  Only thing cell phones have over these bad boys are they can do private communications.

• Like 1

^ Gotta love those Baofengs.  They have a habit of selling them without explaining the FCC regulations that govern the frequencies that they can operate on though. 

True, however the company is Chinese, and the communication laws are different depending on the country, so the instruction manual just says "Check with your local laws on broadcasting" or some shit.

• Like 1

I don't really have a huge preference for phone systems, mainly because I don't have a lot of experience with using different smartphones.

In terms of what I use, go ahead and make fun of me: I was given a Blackberry Q10 recently. I had been using a not-smartphone before, so anything was an upgrade.

overview-hero.png.original.png

I gotta say, BlackBerry10 OS is pretty good (I can run Steam, is that ok?). If you want a phone with a keyboard, don't discount a BlackBerry as a buy option.

EDIT: Formatting on any mobile device is annoying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner/Technical Admin

I'm an android person. I use a red Samsung Galaxy S4.

GS4_ATT_Red_400_large1_HERO.jpg