A return to an old idea

DZComposer

Some of you may remember an idea I had that never got off the ground due to lack of material. That idea was SFOCast Theater, a "radio drama" of Star Fox fanfiction.

I want to bring this back, but not in the same way. The original idea created too much need for writing. I think I have a better idea: The comics. Comics were made for the SNES Star Fox, Star Fox 64, and Star Fox Adventures (Farewell Beloved Falco).

The Itoh comic I think makes the best starting place, as it is already divided nicely into acts. It will have to be turned into a script, but I think that is doable in relatively little time.

What do you guys think?

• Like 3

• Owner/Technical Admin

What exactly does this consist of, DZ? Are you going to have auditions for roles or something?

I am intrigued by this. Sounds like it could be fun and really could put SFO on the front page of the StarFox community.

I for one approve of this idea. XD

Lemmie know if you need zee feminine voice - you'd need one for Fara at least I'd imagine, can't remember if there were any other womenz.

I remember this, I'd love to see it come back.

I can provide a Scottish female voice lawl. Because that's bound to be in a comic.

I wonder if Fredryk could voice Fox, he does a pretty damn good Mike West impression in my book.

This might be a little off topic. Do you have a public youtube account for us to subscribe? You could post those on youtube if you got it rolling DZ.

Too much writing? Well I considered an idea similar to what you mentioned, but I had no intention of tying it to SFOCast as I had just joined as a member and SFOCast was long inactive by then. I've got a base for it but stopped using a screenplay format when the plot required a reboot, so it is now in novel format. I like the idea of either comics or radio show and would be willing to help on both. I like writing and art (Hence purple text I guess?).

I'd love to lend my voice. I have a clear, deepish normal English (British) voice. Ill put my old computer together again right tomorrow(it's better for recording).

I'd be absolutely thrilled if this were to become a thing, so I'll add anything I can think of right now.

Let's see what can I think of instantly? First thing would be to agree on what. I'd suggest DZ to decide but who am I to talk.

If it is a comic that is to make something of, someone would have to write it down. I mean some sort of narration and description of the looks of people and generally the appearance of everything, since the comics are a graphic novel after all and you can't 'hear' what something looks like.

It's always better for that kind of thing if you have not only voices but a wide set of sounds and bgms too. Since it's directly based off a certain franchise and is likely to be used by fans of it, it would be recommendable to either use the OSTs, or homemade music based off the OSTs. Of course you can always use any music. But it'd be preferably without vocals, fit different atmospheres and used carefully. There are multiple ways to go there, but for more, I'd have to know what amount of resources would be accessible for this.

The sounds could be from anything. The entire range from the resources of any game or film.

Also, if it were not to happen otherwise because no-one had time to do the cutting, I could do that too. I used to do something very, very similar years ago. (Ok except for it not being SF it was exactly the same thing :-P )

You know DZ, if you wanted to, you could go one step further and make this into a comic dub and upload it to YouTube. Something like this:

OK, I have a script going. Here is how this will work:

When I am finished with Act I (Acts 1-3 in the comic), I will post the script. If you have any suggestions for it, I will evaluate them and implement them if I agree with them.

At that point, I will hold auditions.

I am currently half-way through the comic's second act.

As far as it being a comic dub, I am making some changes to it, mainly to make it fit a radio drama setting (no visuals), but also I will try to plug a plot hole in the comic involving Herbert. Though I will make some kind of visual for it probably, as I will likely put it on SFO's YouTube channel.

Also, will this strictly use music and sound effects from the SNES games, or will it also mix in music and SFX from SF64 and the later games?

Sweetness. Been needing an excuse to buy a condenser mic anyway. *Buys on Amazon in anticipation* XD

That's a great idea ! I'd watch those. :)

I am intrigued by this. Sounds like it could be fun and really could put SFO on the front page of the StarFox community.

You know, I'm pretty sure, SF-O's pretty much the last active Starfox fansite around. I think there's a Japanese one left, and there's this German sf website I can't remember the name too..

It's always better for that kind of thing if you have not only voices but a wide set of sounds and bgms too. Since it's directly based off a certain franchise and is likely to be used by fans of it, it would be recommendable to either use the OSTs, or homemade music based off the OSTs. Of course you can always use any music. But it'd be preferably without vocals, fit different atmospheres and used carefully. There are multiple ways to go there, but for more, I'd have to know what amount of resources would be accessible for this.

That sounds like a good idea. Just playing the music really quietly in the background, so it wouldn't cover the actors or steal the attention.

As far as it being a comic dub, I am making some changes to it, mainly to make it fit a radio drama setting (no visuals), but also I will try to plug a plot hole in the comic involving Herbert. Though I will make some kind of visual for it probably, as I will likely put it on SFO's YouTube channel.

Do you mean, the first version of herbert appearing out of nowhere in their outpost on papetoon near the end ?

OK, I have a script going. Here is how this will work:

When I am finished with Act I (Acts 1-3 in the comic), I will post the script. If you have any suggestions for it, I will evaluate them and implement them if I agree with them.

At that point, I will hold auditions.

I am currently half-way through the comic's second act.

Weeeellll interms of auditioning I would instantly/automatically fail due to my incredibly high-pitch voice. I can help in other ways if need be. But hey, in terms of a comic dub, weren't you considering moving SFOCast from audio to visual? I did listen to the last SFOCast you did, and I really liked it. Lots of interesting stuff to hear, and I've been hoping ever since you'd do another.

The radio drama will have four acts:

Act 1: Desperado - Covers acts 1-3 in the comic

Act 2: Fixing a Hole - Covers acts 4 and 5 of the comic

Act 3: Fly Again - Covers acts 6-8 of the comic

Act 4: Close to the Edge - covers acts 9-11 of the comic

Do you mean, the first version of herbert appearing out of nowhere in their outpost on papetoon near the end ?

He didn't appear out of nowhere. They picked him up in the opening scene of the comic when they raided that Venomian freighter. The plot hole is that this Herbet later appears in Andross' base, and then appears back in Star Fox's Papetoon hideout, with rust on his cheek from crying over Andross dying on Fortuna, except that it was Herbert 2 crying, and the team had the first Herbert.

The comic hints at blowing him up on Venom, but I think Itoh forgot that they had him to begin with! I am closing this plothole thusly:

Star Fox captures him in the beginning, but Falco wants to sell him for scrap. Fox refuses, citing the fact that Herbert may contain valuable information that they can sell to a Cornerian spy. I then have Falco say this: "Yeah, and if it has a tracking chip, our hideout will be crawling with lizards before Slippy can do anything with it. It isn’t worth it, man." When Slippy returns with the message from Pepper, they leave for Corneria, forgetting about Herbert entirely.

Andross mentions Herbert when he talks to Pepper in Act 3. At this point, I will referece Falco's comment by having Andross mention retrieving him. Slippy will later talk about Herbert, but Herbert won't actually be there.

There's another plothole that needs work, too, but I need to figure out how to close it. Slippy modifies an Arwing to travel through he black hole, but when Fox flies off, everyone chases after in their own Arwings, and the unmodified Arwings do just fine. I do have one ace in the hole here, though, and that is the Arwing CAN survive apparently unmodified in the game itself. But seeing how much of Act 4 depends on this happening, I will have to find some other reason for them monkeying around with the Arwing.

Also, will this strictly use music and sound effects from the SNES games, or will it also mix in music and SFX from SF64 and the later games?

Music will come mostly from the SNES games (SF2 included), though there will be some custom music, remixes I have done (probably including clips of stuff I never finished), remixes others have done, and some stuff from other games. As far as sound effects, I will use SNES sounds when they make sense, but I will have to use sounds from other sources to cover everything that needs to make sound.

Also, I will write music to the song the bard in act 9 sings, and I may just make a short clip of the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band re-lyriced to make the same joke Itoh makes in the comic illustration in Act 4.

• Like 2

Also, I will write music to the song the bard in act 9 sings,

I remember reading somewhere that those are supposed to be the lyrics to the Credits theme in SF1. I could be wrong though.

I remember reading somewhere that those are supposed to be the lyrics to the Credits theme in SF1. I could be wrong though.

It doesn't fit.

The song appears to be a AAAA pattern song:

Gather Round and you will hear

a tale of daring-do and fear

a tale of one who never cowed

The story of our brave Fox McCloud

From Corneria they journeyed long

to fight injustice and right the wrong

Falco strong and Peppy wise

Slippy fixed their warp field drives

Fox was brave and smart and shrewd

Planning raids with weapons crude (BAD LINE. For the sake of rhyme, Talks like Yoda it does.)

The lizards tried but couldn't run.

Fox always caught the evil scum.

Then came a call for a mission dark. (Another bad line)

to conquer venom would be no lark

In Arwings they challenged Andross' Might

and sent him spinning into endless night

The song has a couple of bad lines. I probably won't fix them, though.

The credits melody doesn't fit the rhythm of the lyrics.

There is an actual couple of measures written in the first panel of the song. But, it doesn't fit the lyrics either. Though I may base the song's melody off of it.

I don't have a harp-guitar, though. lol Yes, it is a thing:

I wonder if Itoh has one. He is a pretty decent guitarist. For example, here he is soloing some Mario tunes:

Let's see...

...without having a song for it in my head, it sounds like the witches from Macbeth XD

Ok cutting out the "our" in "our brave Fox McCloud" would that be possible? Just to fit the measure of the rest of the first part. Cutting out the "brave" would work just as well though.

"From Corneria they journeyed long" works if Corneria is read as a 3-syllable word. Looking at that will be important.

Simply replacing "and" in "To fight injustice and right the wrong" with a "," would even it out.

But of course to be sure of anything, I'd have to hear the song^^ Thing is, in the context, the song is a spontaneous improvisation of the bard. Corrections like these would be necessary if the song as a whole were to be used differently.

"From Corneria they Journeyed Long" is a bad line, too.

I'm not too concerned that every line doesn't have the exact same rhythm. I actually like that it doesn't. It allows me to make the music have a bit more direction if the last line of the verse has a different pattern.

I've also figured what I could do with Sgt. Pepper's to make the joke musically. There is a point in the song where there is a brass section playing a little melody, and then a little later the lyics do this:

Sgt. Pepper's lonely, Sgt. Pepper's lonely

Sgt. Pepper's lonely, Sgt. Pepper's lonely Hearts Club Band

Lyrically, this is the perfect spot to do it:

Sgt. Pepper's Happy, Sgt. Pepper's Happy

Sgt. Pepper's Happy, Sgt. Pepper's Happy Heart

I can use the brass parts to ease into it and ease out of it.

This seems to be a good idea. I'll but my mic up for it.

I want to say I COULD VOICE ACT THIS WHOLE THING SOLO LIKE A BOSS

but knowing my real life that would never happen in this day and age... :\

• Like 1

Actually, fuckit. I'll try my hand at whoever you'd like, maybe Fox, Peppy, or James...