I shot a gun for the first time today.

manthony_Higgs

Went up to the top of some mountain and shot at soda cans with my Dad and Brother.  It was a Hi-Standard .22 Sentinel.  Nice comfy little gun, it was single action so I had to pull back the hammer after each shot. It wasn't nearly as loud as I thought it would be (but we did use .22 short as opposed to long rifle) and had almost no kick to it. .22 bullets are cheap too, 100 for $10.  Shooting is fun, you guys should do it.

98798794.jpg

That's not the exact gun I used but ours looks pretty much the same.

• Like 1

Very nice - always good to experience new things as well as start off with revolvers.  I suppose it won't be long 'till Vydrach shows in this thread and blasts us away with his ridiculously comprehensive firearm-related experience and knowledge. :P

[Also, if I see a single bit of discussion related to gun-control I will more than likely either close the thread or issue out some warnings.  This thread is -not- open for debate.]

HURR DURR TAKE ALL DA GUNS AWAY

I'd never take up shooting as a hobby myself, because between buying the guns, buying ammo, and having to make sure I kept them in good condition, it'd be too much work and too much money. But, I do see the appeal. I've done some paintball as a more cost-effective way than shooting with real guns, and it was hella fun even when I was just getting used to aiming with it.

• Like 2

I love shooting!  Love it love it love it!

That looks like a fairly nice pistol there.  My first time shooting is a time I will never forget, and now let me bore you with the details! :P

My friend had taken me to the range, and I was excited.  His grandad had a .22 Polk Replica Revolver, some gun handmade back in the 60's where guns were easy to get and there were lots of companies out there that made them.  I then got to shoot his father's Glock 19 and let me tell you: Holy shit, that gun is amazing.  I love Glock, it fits very nicely in my hand, it feels right, it looks amazing, and when you shoot it, it's almost orgasmic.  I shot the 40 caliber version, so there was significantly more kick than the 22 pistol.  SIGNIFICANTLY.  

For those of you that care, this is a picture of me with the Glock.

photo.jpg

Indoor range FTW, unfortunately I couldn't fire any shotguns there because well, indoors.  

• Like 1

Shooting is fun, but frowned upon in Canada. Don't consider our borders should you want to freely go around firing things other than Paintball and BBguns. I've yet to head off to a Scout shooting range though, I missed my last opportunity to go. Maybe another year.

Shooting isn't "frowned upon" here, there just isn't a massive ultra-paranoid pseudoconservative culture surrounding the "rights" to own assault weapons.

That being said the last time I shot anything was a dinky air rifle when I was in Air Cadets and I wasn't any good at it, though I kept getting the shitty unbalanced rifles for whatever reason. I'm pretty good at paintball but that's mostly because I'm a sneaky little shit and skinny enough to be hard to hit :B

Eventually though I think I want to take up hunting because I like meat and hate farming practices, it's just a matter of getting the time and finances at this point...

I think hunting would be fun but I'd be afraid of running into a Bear or a Cougar.  Would be fun to taste Venison though.

Aye, the .22 is a fun lil' gun to shoot. And they are very quiet, relatively, as firearms go. And they do tend to have no real recoil, at all. And that's .22 long rifle that I've dealt with, can't imagine how a .22 short acted. I imagine it had less sound and kick than a pellet gun.

You start getting a bit more noise and kick as you get higher up in the calibers, of course. But don't let that intimidate you, noise won't hurt you and people really tend to overstate the recoil of a caliber. I was shooting .45 ACP and 7.62x51mm NATO before I was a teenager, quite comfortably. A large part of it has to do with a gun's weight, too. A feather light gun will have more kick, which why the my mom's M1 Garand rifle is comfortable to fire (it's a rather heavy rifle), where as the 1903 Springfield with a sporterized stock is a fun gun to shoot, but not for long. Both of these being 30-06 Springfield, aka 7.62x63mm.

But .22 is a good start, for sure. I learned in a Browning BL-22 for rifles, then a .32 revolver for pistols. Just don't let larger calibers scare you. Unless it's, say, a .44 magnum or .50 Action Express or something. But even a .357 magnum has very little recoil, actually. But a pro-tip with the .357 magnum, it's a good idea for target shooting to load one with .38 special rounds instead. They're generally cheaper, and have less power so less recoil and wear on the gun.

And Xort, don't let that discourage you. There's inexpensive firearms that are a blast to shoot, have cheap ammo, and take less time to clean than you do. A good shotgun, for example. Shooting clays is great fun, and you can get yourself a good long-barreled 12 gauge for a couple hundred dollars at most, about $20 for 100 rounds of bird shot (probably less outside of California), and shotguns are usually very easy to take apart and clean, and they're great fun. Single shot, over/under, side-by-side, bolt-action, pump action, semi-auto, any of 'em would be a blast and a half. And as long as you aren't using ammunition with corrosive primers, which I highly doubt any modern day sporting shotgun ammunition would have, you can actually forego cleaning the gun, if need be, though it's a good idea to do so and we make it a point to clean them ASAP after shooting, usually the same day. Plus, I personally enjoy maintaining the firearms nearly as much as shooting them.

And of course, if any of you have any questions about firearm safety or maintenance, or about finding the right gun to suit your needs, my door is always open.

• Like 3

I've only ever fired 12 gauge pump Shotguns and .22 semi automatic rifle. The difference in kick on those things are astonishing.

The first gun I ever fired was a 12 gauge Remington 870 pump action shotgun, which will also be my inheritance from my father. I'll never forget the welt I got on my shoulder from it. Another one I used was a Winchester Model 12 shotgun, also my father's, that thing's an antique now but it has one hell of a kick to it.

Compare that to the .22 caliber semi-auto rifle my grandpa owns, that thing barely has a kick to it at all.

You got a welt on your shoulder from a shotgun?  Did you keep the stock away from your shoulder when you fired?  Or did you just fire it a lot?

I'm not much of a gun person.

I think they should be heavilly regulated, and some guns, such as semi-automatic rifles, should not be allowed outside of licensed gun ranges. But I'm fine with people owning guns if they want.

Though for self defense, I think stuff like this is a better option:

http://www.amazon.com/Guard-Alaska%C2%99-Bear-Defense-Spray/dp/B0018XTIX8

This isn't your garden-variety pepper spray. This is Bear Spray. This stuff WILL stop someone, you can use it quicker than you can use a safely-stored gun (No need to risk leaving a loaded gun around, No need to remove a trigger lock, No need to load it, pull the pin and squeeze the handle), it doesn't require good aim, and you don't risk potentially killing any nearby innocents.

• Like 1

Runner, did you not have the stock properly seated in your shoulder, or was it just a lot of firing?

And of course a .22 won't be comparable to 12 gauge, haha.

You're comparing 5.6x15mm to 18.5x75/70/65/50mm depending on if you're doing 3 inch "magnum," 2 3/4",  2 1/2", or 2" shells.

I don't care what anyone says. Guns are fun dammit! The first time I shot off a 12 gauge shotgun was one of the best days of my life.

If we're going to start debating over guns again then I'll move this topic to the correct area. I know there's no debate here right now but just a heads up in case it starts.

Also congrats on firing your first gun, manthony. Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I on the other hand have vowed to never touch a gun in my entire life, I'm pretty anti-gun myself. Just my personal taste.

Awesome! Shooting is on my list of things I wanna do. Since I already controlled an 'Arwing' (a flight simulator. Pretty damn awesome) and fought with a real sword, its at the top :)

Also congrats on firing your first gun, manthony. Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I on the other hand have vowed to never touch a gun in my entire life, I'm pretty anti-gun myself. Just my personal taste.

Then what was with the enthusiasm when I said you should come out here so I can take you shooting?

Then what was with the enthusiasm when I said you should come out here so I can take you shooting?

My thoughts on the matter have kind of changed due to recent events I've seen in the news is all.

My thoughts on the matter have kind of changed due to recent events I've seen in the news is all.

Awww, this change of mind breaks my heart.

Awww, this change of mind breaks my heart.

Aww, I'm so sorry. :( If it makes you feel better, I still love the Mercs in Aliens. I can't deny how cool that is, speaking of the guns of course.

I'm sorry to hear you feel that way, Redeemer.  Maybe sometime you'll change your mind though, like you did before this. :)

Haha, you sound like she doesn't like a certain dish more than a gun!

Just to clarify her point: It's cool to see weapons in movies and using them in video games but that doesn't really mean she wants to use any of this in real life, just like how it's exciting to pilot the Arwing in Star Fox but not wanting to ever fly a real aircraft.

Anti-gun in that case doesn't mean the avoidance of any arms period. Hope it's clear now :)

And let me be the first to not feel disappointed by your views, Red and lemme tell you... Sigourney Weaver, herself is pretty anti-gun and she hated every second she had to use the pulse rifle in Aliens.

Runner, did you not have the stock properly seated in your shoulder, or was it just a lot of firing?

And of course a .22 won't be comparable to 12 gauge, haha.

You're comparing 5.6x15mm to 18.5x75/70/65/50mm depending on if you're doing 3 inch "magnum," 2 3/4",  2 1/2", or 2" shells.

A bit of both

The first time I ever fired the gun, I wasn't holding the stock to my shoulder right so the kick bruised me. After I learned how to do it right it was because I always fire it a lot when I do, not to mention we use 3 inch shotgun shells.