Solar: Star or Planet?

Prince Elite

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is Solar a Star or a Planet

• Star
    • Planet

Alright, it's time to put this nightmare to rest. I was watching a 3DS walkthrough of Solar, and saw many people arguing over the nature of the giant THING in the middle of the Lylat System. Some people believe it is a M-Class Star, too cold to be able to support life and that the Lylat System is a binary star system with Lylat as its parent star and Solar as a dwarf star.

Others refer to reference of Star Fox: Command which states that it is a planet and there are solid parts of it. Others seem to think it may be a gas giant. So it's either a gas giant or some mutant planet with a volcanic surface and solid patches somewhere, either way a planet.

So I want to know what the collective thinks. What do you think it is?

It's a star. As for the ability to colonize it.....well in command i recall  they weren't really on the star just above it, and you killed the boss by tipping him in to the star. 

Since I have attempted to completely burn every single tidbit of information regarding Command out of my mind, Solar must be a star. :-P

• Like 3

Yeah, I'd say it's a Star. Command got so much wrong you have to take everything it says with like, 10 grains of salt.

• Like 3

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with Higgs on this one.

And just because the Japanese SF64 manual refered to Lylat as the main star of the Lylat System doesn't mean Solar isn't a star either. It could be a binary star system like shown in SF2, and since some things made it through the continuity reboot, it still could apply to the N64 canon.

Star%20Fox%202000.png

Star. It's bright and it burns. Logic.

Plus, given that the very definition of "solar" is "of or pertaining to the sun," the logical conclusion is the Solar is, indeed, a star.

There are really people who think it's a planet?

Yeah people do think so, because solar it has magma on it in SF64 and all...And magma is usually associated with tectonic plates. So if a body has magma (which is super-heated rock) then it prolly has plates of moving crust. If a body has moving crust then it prolly has a metallic core. If a body has a metallic core with lots o magma on it then it is prolly a protoplanet (which is a super-hot body that is essentially a baby planet being voilently made.)

Protoplanet.jpg

Yeh, I'm totally talking out my ass, just now.

• Like 2

You know for a planet there seems to be a lot of lens flare coming off that thing. Not to mention all of the planets seem to revolve around it on the map screen.

Besides, I don't think it was ever deliberately stated that the stuff on Solar is magma.

I recalled rocks being slung at you :L

Not to say I personally think solar is a planet (cuz i dunt), just pointing out why people argue in favor of it.

> rocks :D

Solar is a star; I agree with Patch.

You know for a planet there seems to be a lot of lens flare coming off that thing. Not to mention all of the planets seem to revolve around it on the map screen.

Besides, I don't think it was ever deliberately stated that the stuff on Solar is magma.

IDK, if it is a star, that would mean havoc for the ~10 planets in the system, as they all would burn away like the head of a match.

I heard somewhere that someone said it was a proto-planet (like a very early Earth) of possible artificial or natural origin. For me, that seems more likely and has less burn victims.

• Like 1

Would it be physically possible for a Protoplanet to give off enough heat and light to actually supply the various planets of the system with enough energy to sustain their ecosystems? If so, that thing would have to be like.... absurdly massive and obscenely hot, wouldn't it?

Lylat_System_Theory__revised__by_Undying

http://undyingnephalim.deviantart.com/art/Lylat-System-Theory-revised-97047817

Solar, Star or Planet?

This is by far the number one debate. In starfox 64 Solar is described as a Red Dwarf Star that the other planets orbit around, yet in Star Fox Command it is said Solar is a planet still in its young age and hasnt begun to cool off yet. Based on the numerous translation errors in SF:64, facts in Command, and simple common sense, it's quite evident Solar is not Lylat's star and is in fact a planet. First off, in all the levels of Starfox (in all the games) the star in the sky is not a red dwarf. If Lylat's star was a red dwarf, life would not be able to exist.... and if it somehow did then there will be barely any light in the system at all. Red Dwarves do not give off sufficient light to sustain life on orbiting planets. And of course as I mentioned before, in every Starfox game, if you look up in the sky, the star is NOT a red dwarf, it is blueish. Solar is a proto-planet, case closed.

i also like to think Lylatians get part of their energy of it.

I thought there was something in the way of an official explanation in that it was a planet that exploded and became a sort of pseudostar as the radiation from the Sectors kept it burning.

Or maybe I'm crazy.

Hmmm.... You know what Dras... that could work....

*Takes out notepad of Star Fox headcanons and writes that down*

I thought there was something in the way of an official explanation in that it was a planet that exploded and became a sort of pseudostar as the radiation from the Sectors kept it burning.

c28.gif

> right in the nostalgia 

I vaguely remember an explosion involved with the sectors back from when i used to star fox. Darn it, deleted i all that stuff.

Or maybe I'm crazy, too :/

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Dwarf star, honey! Dwarf star!

Please avoid dredging threads older than 2 months or so. Thanks for your cooperation.

• Like 1