Anime

Battlechili

Figured I'd link to this post because it's very relevant to anime and y'all should try it.

I watched the original Ghost In The Shell (The 1995 one) a few days ago, and it was brilliant.

On 2/13/2016 at 1:23 AM, Clearwater said:

I watched the original Ghost In The Shell (The 1995 one) a few days ago, and it was brilliant.

Really want to see that one.

Starting to really get into Berserk. I really like seinen anime.

On 21/2/2016 at 4:13 AM, Talyl Landmaster said:

Really want to see that one.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great film (And it's aged pretty well, if I'm honest), but it's definitely not a family film. There's a fair amount of swearing in the English dub and some nudity that I don't quite understand why it's in there. I mean, why exactly does Motoko need to strip when she's activating her thermo-optic camoflage? I think it might be so she isn't restricted by the body-armor she's constantly wearing, but I might be wrong. Maybe; I dunno.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and in case it might interest you, I've read on Wikipedia that they're making a live-action version of the film, set for next year. I haven't read all of the details and I can't remember who's gonna be cast for it, but if the original was kick-ass, then the remake should be too.

On 2/22/2016 at 0:44 AM, Clearwater said:

Don't get me wrong, it's a great film (And it's aged pretty well, if I'm honest), but it's definitely not a family film. There's a fair amount of swearing in the English dub and some nudity that I don't quite understand why it's in there. I mean, why exactly does Motoko need to strip when she's activating her thermo-optic camoflage? I think it might be so she isn't restricted by the body-armor she's constantly wearing, but I might be wrong. Maybe; I dunno.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and in case it might interest you, I've read on Wikipedia that they're making a live-action version of the film, set for next year. I haven't read all of the details and I can't remember who's gonna be cast for it, but if the original was kick-ass, then the remake should be too.

Scarlet Johansson is Motoko iirc. 

I've been watching Lupin the 3rd on and off the past month or so. Mostly the english dubbed episodes of the Red Jacket series, but I've always been enjoying the newest Blue Jacket series set in Italy!

I've also been watching the FUCK out of Space Adventure Cobra, a jazzy and old school as well space fantasy from 1982.

Binge watched Terror in Resonance yesterday. It was pretty decent but not amazing I didnt think.

• 2 months later...

So I started watching Haiyore! Nyaruko-san ( AKA Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos or Nyaruko: Crawling With Love!). It is fantastic, may end up being my favourite anime if it keeps up like it is. What is it about? Well, long story short, it's based on Lovecraft's work, specifically the main character is Nyarlathotep, The Crawling Chaos. Except instead of Elder Gods, they're just alien species. Nyarlathotep is a Nyarlathotepian, and takes the form of a girl in this. Apparently Nyarlathotep isn't her real name (she has many) and that isn't her real form (also many), but it is so far pretty much confirmed that she is the Nyarlathotep. Basically, she's a member of space police who are closely watching Earth because it's of special interest to everyone, because it's the premiere source of space's finest entertainment (manga, anime, and games). She's there to kick smuggler ass and protect the other main character, Mahiro, who's just a normal Earthling guy that it turns out she's in love with since she saw him in the briefing, and she is not shy about making that point, which he rebukes usually by stabbing her with a fork.

It is absurd, it is raunchy,  it can be bloody, the humor is on point, the Lovecraftian references are fantastic (especially the Lovecraftian puns, my personal favorite so far is the Cola of Cthulhu cup), and it references other animes in absurd, random, and fantastic ways. Case in point, in episode 2 every time she gets hurt humorously (IE the fork) she yells out the name of a mecha from Space Runaway Ideon and another character talking about something her grandfather told her about love was met with the response, "Is that guy a negotiator in the City of Amnesia?" To which she replied, "Ye not guilty." And if you don't get that reference, A, you should feel bad and B, you are now banned from this topic until you go watch Big O. Go on, go do it now. Right now.

It's just stupid in all the right ways and I've just been giggling like a madman at the basic idea that they turned this:

18lu26sl7igzzjpg.jpg

Into a cute anime girl. Admittedly a violent one at times (she did cut a nightgaunt into four pieces with a crowbar that she then called "forbidden bar of some sort" to keep up with the mythos idea).

• Like 1

After revisiting a certain Jet Set Radio this past week, a few fans of the game have told me that the closest you can get to that for an anime would be Air Gear. I had a look at some screenshots, and I gotta admit, it looks pretty damn awesome. I'll have to watch a few episodes of that at some point.

Finished ALdniah.Zero last week. Halfway through MetalArmor Dragonar ... and still need to watch season 2 of psycho pass with a friend

Checking out an Oldtaku goldie I somehow missed as a lad - Bubblegum Crisis. 4 eps in, but I really like it!

• 3 months later...

Anyone into the Danganronpa series?

Danganronpa 3 has been a lot of fun, though the fear of seeing more favorite characters die makes it a sort of bittersweet experience. Its not a perfect experience though; Despair Arc oftentimes feels a bit slow and I don't like how all the character development in the games is not relevant in it since its a prequel. Seeing these characters at their worst isn't a pleasant experience. Future Arc is fun though, and its got a really rad ED.

Lately, I've been getting into Re:Zero. It's rather confusing at first (It's about this guy who, every time he dies, he wakes up the day prior to his death, so he can change the events to come, but he can't tell anyone about his power), but stick with it (and perhaps read the original mangas) and it's pretty good fun to watch.

• Vy'drach pinned this topic

Went ahead and stickied this thread actually because we don't need new general anime topics popping up periodically. Let's just have one continuing one.

Anyways, watched Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and am sad the series is over after only 13 episodes, but that was the case with the manga as well. This gif is what alerted me to it:

urzYJHS.gif

Also, anime not for younglings. While nothing is seen, the humor can be quite lewd.

Tried watching Neon Genesis Evangelion but I couldn't make it three episodes in because holy shit Shinji, stop ping-ponging between whiny uselessness and pent up angst. Also, this video is spot on:

Now watching Yu Yu Hakusho as I've meant to actually watch it in correct order since I saw it on Toonami, but never got around to it. Better than I remember so far and I remember it being pretty dang good.

Probably gonna watch Cowboy Bebop with my friend soon who hasn't seen it but has been meaning to. Which is good because I've been meaning to watch that for the seventh time.

EDIT: Also, I'm sure it doesn't need to be said, but if any of y'all haven't seen One Punch Man, what're you doing!? GO WATCH IT RIGHT NOW!

• Like 1

I've been watching a Touhou Project-oriented anime called "Memories of Phantasm".
It's a fan-made anime series, but it looks and feels even better than most of the professional series.

Here's the first episode, if you're curious (for English subtitles, enable "CC"):

One thing to note: Episodes don't release weekly or daily, they release once they're ready.
In the end, it's not a commercial series.

Does one have to have any real prior knowledge of Touhou to enjoy said fanime? I'm assuimg yes.

I'm not sure, actually.
I've known Touhou Project for ages (far before McRoll'd reached the Western audience), so I guess it's better if you would ask anyone here who's not Japanese.

To be quiet frankly, I rarely watch Animés, because the series with the fantasy, superhero and sci-fi stuff don't appeal to me and even among those, that don't have anything of this, there are only a few I'm actually interested in. Especially, if they are the endless ones. Due to my long times at school and work, I don't have the time to follow them actively.

Which is why I have searched for those with only a few episodes without the aforementioned themes and finally managed to found some - Wangan Midnight and Gunsmith Cats, though I'm just interested in the cars and the former is, apart from the scenes on the Wangan, pretty boring with always the same arcs and a piece of cardboard for a protagonist. Gunsmith Cats is also the only Animé I ever bought a manga from and it was really entertaining (and sometimes informative).
Definitely need to start with Initial D and Jin-Roh.

Other Animés, that I stopped to watch a long time ago, but still like them, especially since they accompanied my childhood:

-Pokémon
-Dragonball
-Detective Conan
-Die Kickers ("Ganbare, Kickers!", and I absolutely dislike football)

• 4 years later...