STAR FOX WII U CONFIRMED BY TIME MAGAZINE!

DZComposer

Episodic gaming is basically this:

Shorter games

lower prices

released more frequently

Wether or not it'd be download only, who knows, I imagine if they did do this, they'd make a buncha episodes, put em up for download one at a time and when they have enough episodes built up, release a disk version with said episodes.

It could also mean no multiplayer mode, or a less significant one. It could also mean that, should the episodes not sell well to begin with, Nintendo could easily stop bothering making new episodes in the future. This happened with TellTale's 'Bone' video games, for instance.

@Terramax

Well there is Co-op multiplayer we just don't know if its online. As for TellTales....It wasn't a game being developed for almost an entire generation and then moved to the next-gen to improve on it even more.  

@Terramax

As for TellTales....It wasn't a game being developed for almost an entire generation and then moved to the next-gen to improve on it even more.  

That doesn't address my point.

Using a nearly 10-year-old game that apparently wasn't very good, and that came out well before episodic gameplay hit its stride, might not be the best litmus test for how successful a new installment in a long-awaited series on a next-gen console might be. I really don't think Star Fox U won't sell well, considering people have been waiting for it for years and it managed to be one of the most intrigue-pulling titles at E3 despite hardly showing anything.

And...we already know there's going to be multiplayer. At least co-op, but if Miyamoto is incorporating other aspects of his other projects (Robot and Guard) then that is definite multiplayer.

• 2 weeks later...

Using a nearly 10-year-old game that apparently wasn't very good, and that came out well before episodic gameplay hit its stride, might not be the best litmus test for how successful a new installment in a long-awaited series on a next-gen console might be.

This is a good point (besides the fact that the Bone games  were actually really, really good).

The thing is, if this game is episodic, you can kiss goodbye retail release, unless they decide to batch them altogether at the end of a series. But, Nintendo, or any Japanese dev for that matter, aren't known for going down the episodic route.

And considering Nintendo's track record for not wanting to do anything out of the ordinary, and having seemingly very bad experience with online gaming period, I think episodic would be a very risky undertaking for them.

• 1 month later...

It would appear as if a 2015 release date is confirmed for now. [sorry if this has already been posted; I haven't kept up with this thread.]

kicks off a steady stream of new games through 2015. What game are you most excited about?

— Nintendo of America (@NintendoAmerica)

• 2 weeks later...

Hm. 2015? Feels a bit quick, despite this game being known about since June.

Then again, it doesn't say anything specific, it could released later in the summer for all I know.

The core elements of the game have apparently been in-development since the Wii era, and Miyamoto was looking at production companies to partner with in order to get it launched by 2015 (which could mean like, December 2015). Allegedly they were further along at E3 than what they demonstrated in that build, too. It does still seem pretty quick, but hey, miracles happen (like the miracle of getting a new game :V)

Finally I'm going to have a reason to take my wii u out of the box, and plug it in!

I've always wondered what it would be like to pilot the arwing with the nunchuck controller, so I hope it gets incorporated into the game. The gamepad might be fun, I can see how they can put a map on the touchscreen for all range mode.

Here's to hoping for an awesome game!

Allegedly they were further along at E3 than what they demonstrated in that build, too.

Maybe by that they meant they had a full vision and plan in place. If they had more assets and missions available I would have imagined we'd at least have gotten some press renders. Remember: all the press art looked like they just searched "star fox" on Google Images the night before E3.

Also remember that Miyamoto kind of surprise sprung the presentation on people with like 0 warning and they weren't originally planning on showing it for E3 at all. He just really, really wanted to for some reason, so I guess he brought over whatever build they had instead of preparing a proper one for E3, like they normally would.

• 2 months later...

I suppose this will completely disappoint us, yes?