Starfox: Event Horizon

The Undying Nephalim

Say, Undying Nephalim. When this game is finished, will you be releasing the soundtrack for it?

6 hours ago, amcintyr9998 said:

Say, Undying Nephalim. When this game is finished, will you be releasing the soundtrack for it?

Yes indeed. A lot of the music is by Dan Terminus though and is already floating around on youtube.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You should probably try promoting the game further, then. Try getting DZ to get this on the main news page.

7 hours ago, amcintyr9998 said:

You should probably try promoting the game further, then. Try getting DZ to get this on the main news page.

I've had it promoted by a few big names in the Starfox community, everyone from Mr. Krystal to a few of the old SoL people. I think I recall DZ making an announcement about this game back in the day too. It just seems like most Starfox fans are not as interested in my work.

You'll get your break, one day. Remember what Peppy said:

"Never give up! Trust your senses!" - Peppy Hare, Star Fox Assault, 2005 Nintendo Gamecube

5 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

It just seems like most Starfox fans are not as interested in my work.

Well. Thanks to the new game  there is a lot of newcomers to the fan base. I was on a Google plus community before SFO . No one knew the existence of the project. 

On 3/31/2016 at 6:11 PM, navisXD said:

Well. Thanks to the new game  there is a lot of newcomers to the fan base. I was on a Google plus community before SFO . No one knew the existence of the project. 

Maybe I should find a better way to advertise then... :pimp:

• Like 1

Am interested in this project. Played the previous Demo. Gunna check this one out tomorrow. It's a hell of a lot of fun, especially with a Joystick!

On 30/3/2016 at 11:56 AM, The Undying Nephalim said:

For the three and a half people on here who care, there's a new version for download: http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-fox-event-horizon/downloads/star-fox-event-horizon-demo-5

Thanks man! Now that I have my new laptop, expect to see me do a video on it :p

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It's with quite a bit of pain that I have to announce that Star Fox: Event Horizon is being put on the back burner. 

More than half of my time is going to a day job. At the moment my Patreon is simply not making enough money to justify quitting said job and working on all my projects full time. A vast majority of my followers who support me, both financial and otherwise, do so exclusively for my other fan game, Hyrule: Total War .There is extremely minimal support for my Star Fox game; its own forums and other sections on Star Fox websites are ghost towns. Coupled with the recent explosion of Fredryk Phox's awesome animation (and his insanely amazing Patreon income, holy crap guys) it's extremely clear and obvious to me that Star Fox fans want his work, and not mine. Therefore, until my Patreon income justifies it, Star Fox: Event Horizon is on hold. I will be focusing almost exclusively on Hyrule: Total War in the meantime. I apologize to the few people who follow me for this game. If you are one of the two patrons that supports me entirely for Event Horizon, please contact me and I'll discuss reimbursing you.

• Like 1

sucks to hear about that. hopefully it picks up in the future. I did like what you did so far to the game :)

Neph, if I could, I would. But the reason your game isn't succeeding as much as you hope, is because no one outside of SF-O and your Youtube channel even KNOWS your Star Fox game exists! All this time! You are building no hype, no excitement, no reason for people to widen their attention span! Well, sort of. I jump every time you comment here, but again, that's just here, and let's face it, it's nowhere NEAR the popularity of other sites like say... and I know this is gonna get someone in the feels, Zelda Informer, or somethin' like that! A simple video every couple o' weeks of the same exact gameplay, just in a different level isn't going to generate any more hype unless you emphasize by putting more effort, like this that you made! 

That was awesome! That was hype! But that, was A YEAR AGO! There needs to be a lot more of this, and not just weekly gameplay videos, because by doing the latter, you're showing your potential buyers too much of what levels they can expect to see! It's spoiling the game for too many people! 

Basically, don't just focus on here and Youtube. Extend your potentially endless reach to other forms of media! And stop doing weekly gameplay videos, and focus on promoting the hype that this game needs!

EDIT: So you did extend: https://twitter.com/undyingnephalim. I did not know that. And, um... that's a bit of a problem, too, the fact that I had to research in order find your page myself just to see if you were! Again, we seem to have a few promotional issues here. Parts that should have more focus, parts that SHOULD have a lot bigger presence, doesn't have it! Hell, MY twitter following is bigger than that, https://twitter.com/AngusVGM and all I do there in comparison is share V.G.M. tunes! I think I still have a point!

18 hours ago, amcintyr9998 said:

Neph, if I could, I would. But the reason your game isn't succeeding as much as you hope, is because no one outside of SF-O and your Youtube channel even KNOWS your Star Fox game exists! All this time! You are building no hype, no excitement, no reason for people to widen their attention span! Well, sort of. I jump every time you comment here, but again, that's just here, and let's face it, it's nowhere NEAR the popularity of other sites like say... and I know this is gonna get someone in the feels, Zelda Informer, or somethin' like that! A simple video every couple o' weeks of the same exact gameplay, just in a different level isn't going to generate any more hype unless you emphasize by putting more effort, like this that you made! 

That was awesome! That was hype! But that, was A YEAR AGO! There needs to be a lot more of this, and not just weekly gameplay videos, because by doing the latter, you're showing your potential buyers too much of what levels they can expect to see! It's spoiling the game for too many people! 

I've had a heck of a time advertising, and I agree with you. I've tried to promote this game on a large variety of websites. Even on the Freespace 2 website, there's chains of me posting my work with no response. Mr. Krystal advertised my game, and not much came of it. The general feedback on his website seemed to be that it's just not interesting enough for a majority of Starfox fans. Few people like the fact I gave all the characters more human-like proportions instead of giant cartoon heads. Including Krystal seems to have alienated a few people. Compared to something like Phox's animation, which seems strictly tied to only SF 64, and it seems obvious to me most fans want something more like that. It was a very similar case with my Zelda game back in the day, a lot of self proclaimed Zelda fans lombasted me for years because I took such a opposite direction of what the series was known for. The only reason it has any popularity now is probably because it's been around for years. That and IGN showing it off might have had something to do with it. ;)

The problem with the trailer approach is that it takes an insanely massive amount of time to create something like that trailer, so much time that it negatively effects the speed at which I'm actually finishing things for the game itself. It would probably be counter intuitive if I worked on and released multiple trailers for a product that wasn't getting anything done because so much time was going into trailers and not making the actual game. A lot of fan games actually fall victim to that trap, including a rather infamous Star Fox game I was attached to.

I'm still open to any ideas or suggestions though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

I've had a heck of a time advertising, and I agree with you. I've tried to promote this game on a large variety of websites. Even on the Freespace 2 website, there's chains of me posting my work with no response. Mr. Krystal advertised my game, and not much came of it. The general feedback on his website seemed to be that it's just not interesting enough for a majority of Starfox fans. Few people like the fact I gave all the characters more human-like proportions instead of giant cartoon heads. Including Krystal seems to have alienated a few people. Compared to something like Phox's animation, which seems strictly tied to only SF 64, and it seems obvious to me most fans want something more like that. It was a very similar case with my Zelda game back in the day, a lot of self proclaimed Zelda fans lombasted me for years because I took such a opposite direction of what the series was known for. The only reason it has any popularity now is probably because it's been around for years. That and IGN showing it off might have had something to do with it. ;)

The problem with the trailer approach is that it takes an insanely massive amount of time to create something like that trailer, so much time that it negatively effects the speed at which I'm actually finishing things for the game itself. It would probably be counter intuitive if I worked on and released multiple trailers for a product that wasn't getting anything done because so much time was going into trailers and not making the actual game. A lot of fan games actually fall victim to that trap, including a rather infamous Star Fox game I was attached to.

I'm still open to any ideas or suggestions though.

I'd have to agree with Amcintyr that advertising hasn't been the best with this project. Another thing I think has hindered it is that its gameplay isn't really "StarFox-y"; Freespace, from what I can gather, is a fairly complex Space Sim whereas StarFox has always been more of a simplistic arcade-like experience. To a lot of StarFox fans it would be too much hastle to learn.

I'll reiterate another point made by Amcintyr that the gameplay videos to tend to be fairly monotonus, flying around levels with no real sense of objective. Sector X and Macbeth kinda being exceptions, but even then it never feels like the Spyborg or the Train are something to focus on, they feel to me like just another enemy ship. I guess that comes with being able to fly in all dimensions, as being restricted to rails obviously focuses the gameplay and objective.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Storminator said:

Another thing I think has hindered it is that its gameplay isn't really "StarFox-y"; Freespace, from what I can gather, is a fairly complex Space Sim whereas StarFox has always been more of a simplistic arcade-like experience. To a lot of StarFox fans it would be too much hastle to learn.

Not for me, though, or anyone who's played Ace Combat or Project Sylpheed, myself included. I think giving Star Fox this genre is a neat little shake-up.

23 minutes ago, amcintyr9998 said:

Not for me, though, or anyone who's played Ace Combat or Project Sylpheed, myself included. I think giving Star Fox this genre is a neat little shake-up.

I'll agree, its a nice shakeup, but I'm just saying its still a fairly niche playerbase that lean towards the more realistic flight sims.

On 01/05/2016 at 2:41 PM, Storminator said:

I'll agree, its a nice shakeup, but I'm just saying its still a fairly niche playerbase that lean towards the more realistic flight sims.

I feel like it's just because of the lack of many significant realistic-ish flight simulator-esque shooter games with a significant storyline portion. I mean, besides Ace Combat, there's not that many other titles and series that either get the attention or are able to get things 'just right'. Ace Combat for instance, isn't a rail shooter, but the level design tends to give a sense of linearity and orders on what to do that create an experience of free flying but still keeping you straight into the objective, along other game and design elements that give the player a sense of focus on the level and its events.

For me, the format adopted in the demo of SF:EH I tried (...old version, quite a while ago, might I add) was fine and I didn't see any significant issues in playing a StarFox game in a different format. While my preference leans to the sort of game style seen in Ace Combat, I'm also okay with more arcadey shooters. For me what really matters most is how the big picture of the entire game will turn out to be.

----

Also, @The Undying Nephalim, on the subject of the game taking a backseat in development though, if you feel like it's the best decision for your project then by all means go for it. It's never worth it forcing yourself into working in a project, especially if there isn't much incentive or support to do it. I for one don't really have problems with the artstyle and design/development courses taken, and if you need some time to get other projects in motion it's perfectly reasonable.

Eventually things should be more favorable to work on it. Here's hoping the best of luck for you and anyone else working on this fangame.

• Like 1

I do like what you done so far. though I would love a video showing what vehicles that your game will have and stuff, but  if you need a break it would be good  if you feel burned out on it.helps to rest and even cook up ideas for the future .

• 1 month later...